• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1982 245 - Where does this go?

nuclearj

Hello all,

Been working on my ride and discovered a loose wire. Does anyone have an idea of where this wire is supposed to be plugged into? I thought it went to the throttle switch but both the terminals there are occupied. The other end goes toward the intake manifold, although I don't know where it leads. Thanks for looking!

http://imgur.com/a/jHY8M0Y

jHY8M0Y

For clarification, it the orange wire with a white connector

It's for the knock sensor but it looks like the terminal is broken off. You may need a new sensor.

HlqKIYKl.jpg

Hey there, thanks for that. One dumb question if I may? With this being disconnected, would it make for a difficult time for the motor to idle properly? The wagon starts fine but if I let off the gas, the idle speed drops so low that the wagon stalls out. Thanks again!

edit: can confirm it is broken off...
edit2: trying to find a replacement part; anyone have any ideas? From what I gather, it is the single pole Chrysler Knock Sensor

Last edited:
With this being disconnected, would it make for a difficult time for the motor to idle properly?

Nope. Something else going on there. Likely have a vacuum leak. 1982=LH1 EFI (one year only). If there is an issue with the EFI system, you would be better off updating the system to LH2.2 from an 85+ motor.

edit2: trying to find a replacement part; anyone have any ideas? From what I gather, it is the single pole Chrysler Knock Sensor
Junk yard or someone here on the board.

Nope. Something else going on there. Likely have a vacuum leak. 1982=LH1 EFI (one year only). If there is an issue with the EFI system, you would be better off updating the system to LH2.2 from an 85+ motor.

Junk yard or someone here on the board.

Rocking! Thanks for the insight!

To my knowledge, k-jet B21's didn't use a knock sensor.
According to the greenbook, the orange wire goes to one of the spade connectors on the throttle micro-switch and returns to terminal 7 on the ICU.

Attachments

• Throttle Switch.JPG
    Throttle Switch.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 118
I've been helping with this car and it is as follows. The 1982 kjet B21f with Constant idle system. Kjet with lambda control, and Chrysler ignition box.

Like you, Wren I was looking in the book and it reads to put the orange wire on the throttle switch. But there are only two wires on the throttle switch yellow and black. This orange wire has a piece of the connector from the knock sensor so it definietly went there unless of course it has been messed with or changed. So far I have replaced the air intake boot, throttle switch was bad, injector seals and flame trap are serviced.

Now we have to find that knock sensor and continue checking the systems. I'm mainly working on the constant idle system and then will move to lambda and then the chrysler box if needed.

On the constant idle sytem the temp sensor checked good, the throttle switch was bad and now all that is left when he comes back is to check the air motor and that the rpm signal is getting to the computer. If all that stuff checks out I'm thinking the idle computer is bad.

The 82's in Calif had LH1 and I think, Chrysler MPG with the expensive to replace (with new) knock sensor. I would try to convert a Bosch sensor which are reasonably priced by adding a bolt and re-terminating the coaxial wire with both pins of a connector like the EFI injectors use. Forget what the connectors are called, but I would gamble the output of the knock sensor is much the same. I don't have any more Volvo/Chrysler Computerized Ignition-sparked cars any more, just Bosch.

Edit: I see I was typing while Dave was.

Last edited:
I have conversed with him about converting to the Bosch breakerless ignition but for now that is the one system that seems to be working properly. lol

The constant idle system doesn't regulate properly and the lambda system just goes full 90 degree dwell like terminal 11 is grounded. So I have more adventures to go with this one.

Unlike the Bosch ezk which pulls timing without a knock sensor this chysler box doesn't so we are going to continue diagnosis of the idle and lambda systems when he comes back.

Also the original throttle switch only had two terminals unlike the replacement which has three like in Wrens picture. So the orange wire wire was going to the knock sensor unlike volvos diagram.

The orange wire on both of the '82's at my shop goes to the micro switch. Neither one of them have a knock sensor.

Attachments

• 2019-04-16 18.13.14.jpg
    2019-04-16 18.13.14.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 100
Thanks Wren! I have a bit of time before he comes back over. But I will update when I get the chance to see his car again. Going to make sure this thing is wired correctly.

Wren is right. The orange wire should go to the throttle switch. An '82 with Chrysler ignition isn't supposed to have a knock sensor.

ComputerControlledIgnition_'82_B21.jpg

It's possible that the ignition module and harness were updated to one that uses a KS. There should be a brown wire for the sensor if that's the case. What's the part number on the module?

Wow the plot thickens... haha. Thanks. So, I've had the wrong throttle switch on my car with a wire just dangling around? That is some wild stuff. I'll certainly connect it all back up and report back.

Hello All,

Just a quick update; dl242gt had a new throttle switch and we got that installed and wired up properly and the idle is much more under control. Before it was a bit unpredictable but now it is much smoother.

Thanks Wren for the picture! Thanks hiperfauto for the wiring diagram that I am sure to reference again.

Back