• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

economy struts/shocks with lowering springs

fred.malmberg

For my 84, 240 (4 door), which is my daily in spring/summer, I just bought lowering springs on IPD sale.

Motivation was mostly for asthetics.

Is there anything that's more economical than Koni Sport or Bilstein HD that works with lowering springs?

I unfortunately have to spread my $ across three cars now, so I have to make trade-offs

I would suggest trying the blue Tokico shocks that are on ebay. I've seen them used with lowering springs. They are better made than the B4 Bilsteins in my opinion.

Plus they are blue and match the lowering springs.

Last edited:
I have FCS inserts (cheapest eBay struts) on my 7-series with 1 coil cut springs, and it rides surprisingly well. Its firm without being jarring.

Although not cheap the bilstien HD are built like tanks. I'm on a tight budget but had to get em with my cut springs. It rides great and im glad I spent the extra.

I ended up using KYB shocks/struts because someone gave them to me for free

Excel-G series, #365006 (front), #343010 (rear)

After I replaced the rear springs, and support the car with jackstands on the body the axel drops and the springs don't stay all the way in the upper spring guides. Can this be an issue? Any solutions?

Also, did I align the bottom spring clamp correct ie the flat portion for the opening, I forgot to check before I removed them which orientation they were

Here are a few photos.

py0xHeZ.jpg

c0wmxQC.jpg

cuFDi9B.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you have the spring and the plate rotated. As long as it is holding the spring down to the trailing arm. You should be fine. The drop is normal because those springs are so much shorter free length. While driving unless you are jumping stuff you won't create that much drop so it works fine during driving. The limiter of drop is the shock.

Thanks Dave for the help.

So are you saying the plate is not rotated correctly with reference to the spring? Or the spring/plate together is not rotated correctly with reference to the trailing arm?

Your second question. They usually align the flat part of the retainer plate with the trailing arm. So the flat part would be toward the rear of the trailing arm. Not mission critical to having the spring on there.

Back