• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

760 5 cylinder...scratching a 10 year itch

So it roared to life for the first time (very briefly) a little over a month ago. Now it's time to sort out the clutch. Those single mass flywheels are hard to find! Anybody have one they want to donate to the cause?

I'm surprised it's not NLA! If I go new, I've been eyeing the steel TTV flywheels. With the British pound down it's cheaper that the new one one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the local Volvo shop to no avail. I guess I'll watch the junkyard for a bit and then make a decision.

Overdue for an update. been plugging away. Also started a business so that's kept me busy.
Registration on the 940 ends in June, so the goal is to have it running sometime this summer.

Progress so far.
lBnijJal.jpg

Got a 240mm clutch from southbend with T5 center
75Jb8IRl.jpg

They were able to make the clutch the same thickness as stock, so no engagement height issues like I had with the 940.
My brother wants to swap his s70 from dual to single mass flywheel when do the clutch, so you can see the TTV flywheel under the clutch. Considering getting one for mine, but there is so much material taken off I wonder if it will make the already noisy T5 transmission unbearable. Still searching for a used single mass in the meantime.
Vf84ZpXl.jpg

Found some 5" outer diameter moog coils (Moog 8088) that were new in box for $10 locally. We'll run them and see. I think they're 260lb/in which should play well with the motion ratio or the rear arm which looks to be about .73. They're 15" long so will need cut though.
pAWe4Tql.jpg

Wife's S40 had shifting issues so I got sidetracked replacing some linear solenoids.
GAiUIszl.jpg

Played with ride height and some 18's I have while I had the springs out. I think around here would be nice.
ElGUEUfl.jpg

Plumbed the Idler motor and got the intake installed.
thYWaBul.jpg

Pretty adapter plate
lcgUIJKl.jpg

Picked up an ebay intercooler. had to do some trimming where the elbows are, and welded in some angle iron beside it to not lose structural integrity.

At this point I just need to get a flywheel and then I'm on the home stretch.
I found a input retainer from a s197 mustang with the 4.0 V6 and T5 transmission. Allows you to run a hydraulic slave, so I'm going to see if I can adapt that. They offer a short version of the slave (SB60317) which I will likely use.

Then it's just taking the 940 off the road to swap the driveline, and then a million little things. Progress though!

Progress indeed!

Do you by chance have a part number on the southbend disc, or know the compressed thickness to aim for off hand?

No part number, I just chatted with Ryan at Southbend and gave him the specs. He said he could make it 7.5mm thick (uncompressed), and that seems to match up with the stock 850r disc.

Anybody got an 850 flywheel they would sell to help this project along?!

I'm looking as much for you as I am for myself at this point, please help this man.
Someone as sweedespeed is selling a FW,PP, and clutch kit for 400 but then you gotta get rid of the PP and another disc

Progress! Being forced to stop work has some silver linings... junkyards are still open
LzrwbFhl.jpg

Went to the yard looking for a flywheel and came across a medium case BMW diff with LSD.
hnAR59Fl.jpg

3.91 ratio which I think should work. Out of a 89' 735IL. Looks to have the flanges that will work with the volvo IRS halfshafts. My next question is to see if the 960 driveshaft with the CV joint at the end is compatible with the flange at the front of the diff.
Tbb4Anzl.jpg

In the meantime a local volvo guy Matt (Uglyduck) was kind enough to turn town my pilot bushing on his lathe, so now it will fit the RN crank bore (at about 0.825" OD)
fG4q3Aal.jpg

Then one of these showed up at a local yard
iXmiaPOl.jpg

ELZruTwl.jpg

Finally!
Oe6TqiXl.jpg

And clutch is installed. Got a mounting face to pressure plate fingers depth of 3.3" (83mm) so I'm considering this slave cylinder solution
https://www.rwdmotorsport.com/borg-warner-t5-hydraulic-release-bearing-kit-181.html

Last edited:
Congrats on the flywheel, it's quite a hunt.
I forgot what it's like to work on cars in the snow, probably makes pulling parts much more fun.

I got away with a V6 TOB with some fork modification but it's not ideal, hydroponic TOB is probably a much better choice

Seem to be finding more time to tinker lately... I think I may actually get this thing done soon!

UVtqH33l.jpg

Got distracted first doing the clutch on my brother's S70. I feel like whiteblock clutches is all I do lately!
I decided to go with my own solution to the slave cylinder.
I noticed that the S197 mustang input bearing retainer (with provision for internal slave) has a smaller internal diameter than all the other mustang retainers; so the outside diameter won't center in the adapter plate. Here you can see the slight difference in diameter between the two input retainers (stacked).
kwsQ8iql.jpg

But it just so happens that it's bore on the back is the same diameter as the shoulder on this 94 input retainer. A few cuts, and you can mount the S197 retainer on the SN95 mustang retainer quite nicely. (and you have to move one bolt hole)
UjqDO4Yl.jpg

37IZTwbl.jpg

LIHfj8wl.jpg

Just a note for any looking to do this in future:
I have a 2005 Mustang 4.0 V6 (S197) Slave, per my measurements it would almost work if you found a way to mount the S197 Input retainer directly on the transmission. (but then you have to find a way to make it center in the bore of the adapter plate)
My solution was to go with the shorter ~2010 Supercharged mustang 5.4 V8 slave which is much shorter. With that setup you have enough clearance to stack the 2 input retainers and end up with a bit to spare to allow for clutch wear (about 3mm). I think you could probably get a fem more mm if you skim the front of the input retainer.

It pains me, but initial steps toward decommissioning the turbo 16 valve 940. T5 transmission out.
VYXmByrl.jpg

7LIfPPAl.jpg

stZOQXHl.jpg

Input retainers swapped, and the input shaft shimmed for 0.003" clearance per factory spec. Per my measurements the input shaft was 0.20" too long, so I took 0.25 off the front of it.
EGVsWaXl.jpg

dj20mgHl.jpg

Transmission is now installed in the 760! As it sits now I have just over 3mm of extra depth that the slave can compress to allow for clutch wear. Does that sound reasonable to any who have experience with setting up a slave?

Last edited:
Looks much nicer then my solution, no assbackwards bracket required
No idea about the internal slave depth, but the disc I got (copy of yours) seems like after 3mm of wear it will probably be to the rivets

Always sad to tear apart one project to build another, but some sacrifices must be made

Agreed, the new project rises from the ashes of the old. I guess I'm just sentimental though.
I was thinking with where the fulcrum of the pressure plate diaphragm is, 1 mm of of disc wear would probably move the fingers contacting the slave 2-3mm. Oh well, figure that out down the road.

Thanks for the heads up on the metric wheels, I guess they ditched that right before these wheels were made, but I did come across that in my research. Didnt know there was such a thing before that.

To bleed the slave I've got a stock union from the mustang (almost identical to what an S70 with internal slave uses) which has a bleed nipple. The shifter setup is one BNE was selling about 10 years ago. It needed some modification to work, but does the job now.

The shifter setup is one BNE was selling about 10 years ago. It needed some modification to work, but does the job now.

IIRC, Ben just copied what Nathan built for his 940. When the T5's were in vogue, that would have been a valuable part to "clone". However it seems that the T5's are now passe, with folks looking to more modern 5 speeds to transplant into our old RWD Volvos.

Nice work on your slave work for the 5 cylinder..... I'll keep an eye on your progress. I've got my own 5 cylinder sitting a dollies in my shop.... and an M90.... and a T5! I'll go one way or the other, yet TBD. You planning to use factory engine management, or roll your own?

Back