• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 Replacement - Looking for advice

erockrazor

Hey Ya'll,

First thread, so let me know if I'm in the wrong place.

I have an AW70 (thanks 240Pete) that I'm going to put into my recently acquired 1993 240 wagon. The "new" transmission has 120k miles on it and came from another '93 240, along with a torque converter. It doesn't appear to have any leaks in it. The car that I'm replacing it in has ~350k miles on it (odometer stopped at 208k quite some years ago) and the current transmission won't go into reverse or shift into 2nd until it's been running for a while, so I'm going to replace it.

I am calling upon your collective wisdom.

• Which seals, gaskets, o-rings, etc. should I replace? Any common failure points that would make sense to replace while I have easier access?
  • Would it be wise to use the torque converter that came along with the new transmission?
  • Any tips for getting the other one out and putting this one in? (I'll be looking at my Bentley Manual often throughout)
  • Recommendations for transmission fluids to increase longevity? I want to fix the odometer and put another 100k on this car.

Thanks in advance for your help on this one. The forum's already been very helpful with only the search function.

Changing the pan seal and screen will give you a good idea of the condition (by the amount of clutch material in the pan) and it becomes very difficult to remove the dipstick tube once installed in the car. I would also do the tailshaft bushing and oil seal while it's out. You could also check the operation of the overdrive solenoid on the bench and the condition of its wire harness, another common failure over 100k miles.

And you all is abbreviated y'all :)

Last edited:
Tranny swap

Y'ello

93's have a tailshaft bearing. Should be fine. You may want to replace the rear main seal. Plenty of info on bb Faqs.

Having a proper trans lift makes the job much easier. Don't monkey w the dipstick tube as removal from the pan can be a nightmare. Just replace the trabny w the tube attached.

Before you start do lots of reading. Its not a hard job. Not hard just sort of involved.

G'luck

Marty

Back