• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Damn these Philips bolts, they're rounding (help)

theknave

Any suggestions? Trying to remove them.

WP_20141214_15_26_53_Pro_zps4551b1a2.jpg

WP_20141214_15_26_47_Pro_zps52949bee.jpg

Good fitting driver bit with an impact driver. I also put a dab of valve grind compound. Learned that trick when working on airplanes.

The impact driver worked well on the top bolt, pictured above. The driver came with two nice, sturdy, beefy bits #2 and #3.

The bottom one was an issue. There wasn't much room, without taking the door hinges off, for the driver to get in there and do its business. I did happen to pull back the interior to get to that one side bolt holding the bracket. In the end, the driver didn't seem to turn the Philips bolt (the door still created and odd angle), but the #3 bit got nice and wedged into the bolt itself. At that point I used a long extension, a socket that fit the bit and a ratchet. That worked. The driver probably loosened it some. I also had impacted the bolts and area with hammer and punch, to see if that would loosen stuff up.

Thanks all.

I personally don't think Philips should be used in places where torque is required. End of rant.

Last edited:
I remove the bolts from the inside of the car that hold those brackets in instead.

Wait, you're right. I could have just removed that one on the bottom and been done with it. Well, I guess now I know a little bit better how it was put together? :???:

I personally don't think Philips should be used in places where torque is required. End of rant.

+1 it should be an 8mm or 10mm bolt head, so you can get a socket in there with an extension.

I had to use the highest impact setting on the 12V Milwaukee screw gun on the torx fastener on a 93 once, so yea they can be real tight from the factory.

Valve grinding compound is the way to go. It like liquid sandpaper. It will let the screwdriver get a good grip. It's saved me many a time.

#3 philips bit, and you need a REAL one, not cheap homo-depot type that is POS china **** that won't fit right. Get some real **** from a real place, but hard in this modern age of ****e-crap chinese ill fitting bits. Maybe call your grandpa up and see if he has some MANLY American made bits or a screwerdriver that fits that mother****er right. ****ing POS **** bits. #2 bits also fit like dungbeetles on a hamburger bun. ****, damn. ****ing ill fitting POS tools these days. You youngins.

#3 philips bit, and you need a REAL one, not cheap homo-depot type that is POS china **** that won't fit right. Get some real **** from a real place, but hard in this modern age of ****e-crap chinese ill fitting bits. Maybe call your grandpa up and see if he has some MANLY American made bits or a screwerdriver that fits that mother****er right. ****ing POS **** bits. #2 bits also fit like dungbeetles on a hamburger bun. ****, damn. ****ing ill fitting POS tools these days. You youngins.

:wtf:

Lol, kidding, I get you. I had an 80 year-old grand-step-uncle who seemed to be always 80 years old the 30 years of my life that I knew him.

Anyways, he finally died and we were given the ok to raid his stuff. Every single one of his tools had to have weighed at least 10 more pounds than any equivalent of mine.

I may have used his dikes to cut the panels and rivets for this.

Back