• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jah 240 Plus Turbooo

RasAdam_JAHMEN

Most recent picture and specs:
CKZAf9N.jpg

92 B230f+t
T3 super 60 10psi
3" straight pipe side exit
Big eBay intercooler
Stock 9 series turbo ECU/EZK
Welded 3.31 differential
M47 with slipping 740 turbo clutch/pressure plate
Poly bushings all around
Original cut springs and blown struts up front
Custom rear 2.5" spring setup with some junkyard springs, guessing 350lbs
Koni yellow single adjustables in the rear
Stock sway bars
Gutted with Charge Speed drivers bucket and Recaro confetti passenger seat

--------------------------------------------------- Thread Start ---------------------------------------------------

This project started in October 2014, I just haven't felt it was worth making a 'Project Thread' but decided to finally start one. the goal is a daily driver (daily driver=reliable-ish, not necessarily comfort) i can learn to drift. I have had little to no mechanical experience going into this and have learned everything i know as i go along.

The car is a 1992 240GL Sedan with a M47 and LH3.1 from New York. I purchased it from the second owner in St. Augustine in a somewhat poor condition. It ran good but had a LOT of movement in the drivetrain during shifts, mainly from a stop.

How it was when I got it:
PVJ29jV.jpg

TBkw6DF.jpg

wgkT44E.jpg

The purple thing hanging was my broken door handle solution... I braided some heavy gauge deep sea fishing leader used for sharp tooth fish. Looped one end inside the door latch mechanism and the other on a hard plastic keychain die. Worked pretty well until the die broke.

nNEscMY.jpg

Door Handle 2.0
hVamqj8.jpg

TlORseA.jpg

First thing i did was clean the engine and fix some oil leaks, changed the flame trap, and cleaned the PCV system. I also noticed the engine mounts were both severed and the engine was basically unbolted from the car... I replaced them with OEM mounts and also changed the leaky valve cover gasket. I decided to paint the flakey valve cover while it was off.

kvjQ3lK.jpg

I had all kinds of light wiring problems...

Reverse lights...
fPojU0b.jpg

Headlights...
2lXv3ao.jpg

No pictures, but tail lights were bad too, i hardwired them.

Next on the list was the steering play. I think i know whats wrong...
VIDEO

No more leaks and the engine was actually mounted to the car and i can steer. I drove it as is for a while until i finally got tired of the really bad alignment and decided to check it out. I found out that the front left control arm was bent and needed to be changed. The bushing didn't wanna let the bolt out, thats the only reason i have a picture, bad picture though...
Brace yourself for rust
ZTNKsFK.jpg

At the same time, i decided to with all my bushings out for some polyurethane ones. I also put on iPd adjustable torque rods and panhard bar since they came with poly bushings. After all of it was on, it felt like a completely different car. Almost all of the slop was out of the driveline and it didn't feel like as much of a deathtrap. Only ones i still haven't done, which should clean it up completely, are the trailing arm bushings. I did a driveway string alignment (no money for a pro) and it felt really good and drove straight, good enough to me.

3uMzcyn.jpg

The camber on that end link!
DNwqKaN.jpg

N5VJDkS.jpg

The mismatched wheels with the balloon tires on the back were getting kinda old so i started looking for solutions. Didn't take long to decide on getting adapters haha. Ended up with cheap eBay adapters, which work great, but feel like they're gonna strip sometimes. Couldn't beat the price though.
4KIKdlq.jpg

I had some wheels from my old 95 3000gt (not my first choice, but 16x8 and free with tires) so i went with 5x114.3 32mm adapters. I didn't believe the 3000gt wheels had a 60 something offset and tried em out.
iGsP9v6.jpg

The front fit pretty well butthey BARELY fit in the rear without the inside rubbing, only i didn't think about that body roll.
zYhrQDj.jpg

This is around the time i met these cool people...
Vaw1oCv.jpg

Mr. Brown and Sharingan 19

Lasted a couple months until this finally happened...
ET6llQh.jpg

Instead of finding new tires, i found some wheels from a 350z with good tires for cheap. They fit and looked lot better then the 3000gt wheels. I cut my springs as well, all my shocks are blown and i have new ones in a box already. I also found some cool mud flaps at the junkyard!
UJ0Fe2c.jpg

Then painted the side panels black
U9L56x4.jpg

AbIt2TC.jpg

About a month ago, i noticed my steering had some play and looked down there to see whats up. Im pretty sure this is supposed to be tight...

5Nw1slv.jpg

While i was down there, i noticed theres some wet oil around the front of the engine. Time to do some seals.

vPavnyb.jpg

I think i found out why my AC doesn't work

h6yx4Yk.jpg

This probably isn't a reliable method of measurement, but i remember reading that the stock front sway bar was 19mm and since i had a 19mm wrench there, i "measured" it. It definitely seems larger then 19mm...

BRL4wf7.jpg

This pretty much leads up to now, the present. I have been gathering parts for a decent +T set up and talking with Mr. Brown for help on some budget coil overs. In the Florida heat, i was struggling to get any motivation to work on the car, as i work in my unshaded driveway. I decided to start working in the backyard with a nice big oak tree canopy for shade. Problem was i didn't have anywhere to put tools or the car, so i had to use a good week for that (backyard=Jurassic Park).

Its kinda a small space so i had to build a patio extension. (lesson learned, easier to mix/pour concrete then level each block.)
T9I9BSn.jpg

Put up a small shed
lJwlQKa.jpg

It is pretty tight, but i should have enough space to finish it here.

I took it out for one last spirited drive as an NA car before i pull the engine.

Turbo Time
EKbjjWK.jpg

Got started on the tear down finally...didn't quite go as planed haha.
f5bfJLk.jpg

While attempting to remove the AC condenser, the wrench slipped and i accidentally twisted the pipes and they broke off...twice. I decided to just remove the whole thing for now since i made it through this summer without it. Still looking at different ways to bypass the AC compressor but keep my power steering, im open to any suggestions.

This is how it sits for now, only a lot wetter haha. Windows were down when "hurricane" Erika came through with all that rain. Smells sooo bad inside.

Im pretty sure i covered everything thats happened with this thing...i will continue as i go along, try and keep it interesting.

Last edited:
Finally got the engine pulled out. Couple little hiccups here and there, but hey, what can i ask from an old New York Volvo...

VGIZzmv.jpg

I also went to the junkyard and found some cool things.

3-gauge pod with turbo, oil pressure, and battery gauges. Also came with wires. Four 240 Taco Meters (far left don't look too good...). Hopefully at least one will work haha.

6wd9IX6.jpg

This nice mint Volvo oil cooler

ExnwGlE.jpg

3-Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator

QuclzQF.jpg

LH 2.4 turbo ECU and EZK (i plan on using LH 3.1 but if it don't work, i figured i should grab this for the price)
KVsDsmj.jpg

I was kinda surprised, when I found the first Volvo (an 88 245), it seemed like it came from an enthusiast because it was full of random Volvo parts from all models and years. Then I foud a couple other Volvo's full (like to the top, open the door and you get crushed in parts) of old parts from more cars. It was kinda weird...

Stock front bar is either 20 or 21mm on the late 240s. So that appears to be a stock bar, FYI.

I like the new wheels, and the new height looks a lot better too.

Great progress so far! I look forward to keeping an eye on your build since I'll be doing my +T soon enough; trying to get my '92 up to DD status first.

Use a 65" V-belt to bypass the a/c compressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlCPmYpmDHs

This guy made some nice videos with helpful tips, I was the one who asked about the belt, haha

Best of luck!

Preciate it, just wish i had more free time on my hands to finish it quicker haha.

Thanks for the info, too!

I really like those alloys. I've got a question, I've got a set of 30mm spacer/adapters. Would those wheels fit? I'm totally fine with getting violent with the fender lips, they're crusty anyway.

I really like those alloys. I've got a question, I've got a set of 30mm spacer/adapters. Would those wheels fit? I'm totally fine with getting violent with the fender lips, they're crusty anyway.

Preciate it!

I'm running 32mm adapters and the fronts (17x7.5 not sure on the offset but it's something low 30's) fit really nice, no rub lock to lock. I did have to roll the fenders. The rears (17x8 similar but not the same offset) fit better then the Mitsubishi wheels, but I wish I had more meat on the adapters back there. With 30mm adapters, if you have soft suspension and a lot of body roll, you MIGHT rub the inside of the rear wheels on hard turns. Then again, I had those 60 something offset wheels and did alright.

Long story short, yes they SHOULD fit with 30mm adapters.

Had a little time to get the engine on a stand today. It was really dirty haha.

ghL6cLe.jpg

Never really noticed how skinny these things are until i pulled it apart.

cXZdP65.jpg

Ive never tore an engine apart before, but it doesn't look like a 228,855 mile engine on the inside to me...

3j26gqm.jpg

The injectors on the other hand...

UZhZrIc.jpg

How it sits now after a quick degrease.

atI67lB.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the pan ready to weld a bung to it. Still waiting to order maintenance parts but oil lines should be here tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a good clutch? Never went 'Clutch Shopping' before so no clue what to look for haha. Its an M47 with the dished flywheel.

Wow thats some nice progress

I still got that 240 turbo downpipe if you need it

Thanks! I miss driving it already haha. I've been driving a 96 Dodge Ram Van as a daily for too long haha.

I ended up getting one from a friend when I got a turbo and manifold. I think they were from a 740 but I eyeballed the fitment and it looked good. I'll hit you up if I need it though!

Hah, I raided those cars at Go Pull it, too. Y'all missed some upper strut mounts and ****. Those cars looked like they got pulled away from an indie mechanic that was tired of all the overflow.

Hah, I raided those cars at Go Pull it, too. Y'all missed some upper strut mounts and ****. Those cars looked like they got pulled away from an indie mechanic that was tired of all the overflow.

Niceee, haha. Yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking.

Its been pouring since i got out of class so i haven't done anything today but measure the downpipe. Its roughly between 16-17 inches.

MQm02iU.jpg

So theres no real updates for two main reasons: Its been raining almost nonstop all week and my mother was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Doc says it is treatable and i know she's as strong as my brick, so i know she can make it through this.

Anyways, I have decided to change my whole color scheme and paint the heart of my car pink. I know it won't technically be a "roadblock" but whatever haha. I also found a cheap neat color to go with the pink to finish off the car.

Over the week, i received pretty much all the remaining parts to go on. Only problem is, i wasn't thinking when i ordered my weld on bung and got an aluminum one instead of a steel one. Ordered that and it should be here soon.

Back