• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hydraulic parking brake concerns

ICantDrift

So, I've gotten my hydraulic handbrake all set up with a second set of rear calipers and it works great. Now, my problem is that I don't have a parking brake since the stock stuff had to get removed in order to fit the second set of calipers. My concern is that if I use the hydraulic handbrake as a parking brake, the system would be pressurized with well over 1000psi of hydraulic pressure for hours or days on end, potentially hurting seals somewhere, as they were not designed for constant high pressure for that amount of time. Has anyone used their hydraulic handbrake as a parking brake? If so, what was the outcome of a decent amount of time engaged?

Thanks for the help.

TL;DR: If I leave a hydraulic handbrake system pressurised to well over 1000psi of fluid pressure for an extended period of time (think about the amount of time your parking brake is engaged), what would be the consequences in terms of material failure?

1544812d-e45f-4541-b5ed-445830044042.jpg

IMO the failure mode will be a leak occurring somewhere...likely the seals in the handbrake piston which will result in the handbrake slowly releasing pressure on the brakes.

Rally people leave their hydraulic handbrakes on all the time. I haven't seen or heard of anyone having an issue with seals.
Skip the line lock and use something to pull/push the handle back, or lock it back.

Endlessly beaten horse is beaten..
Park right. wheels against curb, car in 1st.
Don't worry. It won't get far on it's own.

It's like Facebook and the forums have lost their minds over hydraulic handbrakes this week.

Back