• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

EGR fault code

LeedomtoFreedom

I have the EGR fault code and it's really annoying. It's like the brightest light in the car when that CEL light goes off.

The EGR system has been gone for years, but my previous build didn't have the CEL hooked up so it was never an issue. Out of sight, out of mind amirite.

Now the CEL DOES work, but it trips a 4-1-3 every once in a while. It's a turbo car on LH2.4 so I swapped fuel controllers from a 95x to a 967 and that didn't help, but it's an ignition side code so I'm not sure.

I've checked a bunch of threads and couldn't really find a solution. I don't even have the connector for the EGR as my 90 240 didn't have one.

I have the EGR fault code and it's really annoying. It's like the brightest light in the car when that CEL light goes off.

The EGR system has been gone for years, but my previous build didn't have the CEL hooked up so it was never an issue. Out of sight, out of mind amirite.

Now the CEL DOES work, but it trips a 4-1-3 every once in a while. It's a turbo car on LH2.4 so I swapped fuel controllers from a 95x to a 967 and that didn't help, but it's an ignition side code so I'm not sure.

I've checked a bunch of threads and couldn't really find a solution. I don't even have the connector for the EGR as my 90 240 didn't have one.

It will trigger that code forever because the EGR components are missing. If you want the system to not trigger the code, replace the EZK with a 148 ignition control unit. It is the EZK that controls EGR, not the ECU.

You can replace your ezk with a non egr ezk unit. Or get the daughter board and chip your ezk unit. that way you have better ignition timing management and eliminated the egr crap. Sbabbs can help you with chipping. You can also upgrade the ezk to the coil packs using the expansion board from Duder.

The above mentioned 148 ezk is usually a factory daughter board unit. So that would save a step if you find one of those. They were used in non egr 1989 740 with LH2.4 in this area. I used one to update my 1993 to a chipped ezk with a chip from sbabbs. Very noticeable increase in torque and performance. Not fast but rather respectable acceleration now.

I have a 207 ezk, haven't checked physically but I'm pretty sure the silver/gold box ecus have daughter boards.

How do sbabbs chips compare to tlaos. Never even knew sbabbs made chips. Can't find any info on them with a quick search

Yes, a gold box icu is also a daughter board unit. I can only speak for my experience which is totally positive. I did this to an n/a engine. For a stockish n/a engine all you need is the ignition chip. When I tried to buy chips Simon responded and sent them to me right away. For a turbo car you would want both ecu and icu chips.

My setup is a 93 LH2.4 B230F. I have an enem V15 cam in it. Cam is advanced 6 degrees. The chipped ezk and a cat back Simons sport system from Skandix. That combo gives me a strong running engine that is very enjoyable to drive. You can drive it like a stock B230F or rev it out and enjoy much better performance above 3k rpms than a stock engine. The power goes all the way to redline if you want.

I'm in the "how to get rid of the CEL light, no egr" group. Soldered in a daughterboard and am using a chip burned by turbotankshane. Am I understanding correctly that a chip from tlaos or sbabbs will shut my CEL up?

Thanks

I know the turbo LH2.4 chips can go pretty high with the fueling. So it should benefit your setup. I would check with Simon for details.

The chips will get rid of the EGR fault. You don't want to eliminate all CEL. Did you read what the code is? Don't forget that the code can be generated by the fuel ecu or ignition computer.

I have read on here that people have found 148 EZKs with the daughter board inside. I have not and that's about 15 out of 15 that I have pulled the cover off and the EZK just had the single circuit board inside. IOW, it isn't a sure thing by any means.

The chips will get rid of the EGR fault. You don't want to eliminate all CEL. Did you read what the code is? Don't forget that the code can be generated by the fuel ecu or ignition computer.

Yes....its the EGR not found code, 413. Can reset the codes and it shows up within 30 seconds of starting.

The main sure thing is the gold boxes. They supposedly are all daughter boards from the factory. There was a couple of the 148 boxes for sale here that were daughter board versions.

The main sure thing is the gold boxes. They supposedly are all daughter boards from the factory. There was a couple of the 148 boxes for sale here that were daughter board versions.

That has been my finding. Every gold colored EZK I have pulled had a daughter board inside. That includes NA boxes from 940s and NA 16 valve equipped cars. So far, 100% of the time a daughter board was inside when I pulled the cover.

Yes....its the EGR not found code, 413. Can reset the codes and it shows up within 30 seconds of starting.

Well the other easier to solve method is to just install a non egr version. Like a 169 for example. That is what my n/a LH2.4 used originally. Which is non egr.

But I want us all to go faster than stock. So I prefer a chipped version over any of the stock stuff. :)

Probably going to go with the path of chipping since it would cost money to buy a new ecu when that money could be used to make more #hrsprs

Back