• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850r mbc safe?

jameshufford

hi i just bought a a 96 850 r sedan and i put a boost gauge on it and t is hitting right under 10 psi i am thinking of a manual boost controller just by pulling the lines of the stock controller and plugging those lines and running new ones off the turbo compressor housing to the waste gate with a ball and spring controller, i only want to turn it a little bit, to like right under 15 psi or less, is this safe, will i break pistons ect., do i need to chip tune it to turn it up at all, i have a friend that had a beater 740 turbo that ran 27 psi once and im definitely not trying to do that.

The R ECU was programmed for 12 psi, so I would do a stage zero before adding a MBC as you probably have a boost leak with your vacuum lines or intercooler hoses if you are under 10 psi.

You are only going to get to 13.5 psi once fixed on stock programming before fuel cut with a MBC, so a tune would be a wiser investment.

yeah im trying to figure out why its running a little low, there looks like there is a line running from the left side of the manifold to the little line on the part of the pcv line on the intake tube in front of the turbo and i think its not suposed to be there, i think im going to do spark pluges today it just feels like you have to really try to build more than 5pounds

That small line to the PCV is correct.

Erik is right, you likely won't get much over 13-15psi without a tune. Get a full stage 0 first, including pressure testing the intake tract, then get a tune. Beust is very legit, so is Hilton if they've branched into the M4.3 cars (don't remember if they have yet).

Thanks guys,there was a small plastic hard line that was laying right next to the pcv that I think is correct so I put that one on it looks like someone added the other large rubber line, it helped my idil and I read more vacuum on the gauge, how much vacuum are you guys pulling I'm running about 20 now in park

Would checking the bypass valve be good too, I have another one of those sitting around that is good, I'm just making sure everything turbo related is working properly

I put the saab boost control valve that I have in it and it's making 10-12 now so that seems to be good for me, it plugged right

It might be a good idea for you to go check out the Volvospeed forums. There are a lot more guys over there that are much more knowledgeable about the FWD 5 cylinder cars.
That being said, I am running a home-made MBC in my '98 V70 LPT M4.4 at 9 psi, and it's working very well. My car still feels a little weak, but when I've put it back on TCV, I realize how horribly slow it was. And before I get a load of you-know-what for "destroying my car," I plan to get a legit tune soon from VAST once I upgrade to a 16t and blue injectors.

That small line to the PCV is correct.

Erik is right, you likely won't get much over 13-15psi without a tune. Get a full stage 0 first, including pressure testing the intake tract, then get a tune. Beust is very legit, so is Hilton if they've branched into the M4.3 cars (don't remember if they have yet).

Last I inquired Hilton hadn't. ARD does but I know some have issues with them. Ideally you want a M4.4 conversion as well as the tune.

Hah, that M4.4 conversion I had from him...yeah, f'ing joke. Sorry, I had my rounds with ARD, never worked right despite the time and hassle.

I purchased a tuned ECU/4.4 conversion from a Portuguese tuner that was recommended on VS. His M4.4 conversion worked quite well.

Back