• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LH 2.2 to EZK117 - My article addendum

Finished this swap yesterday. Went pretty well. One question though. Ive been reading fragmented information saying that if i have the red/black wire connected to Pin12 on an NA ECU, this will fry the ICU. Can anyone confirm this? Car will be +T in a few days, but till then can i just cut the red/black wire and reconnect when i have the +T and turbo 2.2 in?

IIRC, all the red/black wire does is tell the fuel ECU to enrichen the mixture when the knock detector detects knock. It goes to the same place that the orange wire does when the full-throttle switch is activated on the n/a cars.

Warning: Thread resurrection.

Finished this swap yesterday. Went pretty well. One question though. Ive been reading fragmented information saying that if i have the red/black wire connected to Pin12 on an NA ECU, this will fry the ICU. Can anyone confirm this? Car will be +T in a few days, but till then can i just cut the red/black wire and reconnect when i have the +T and turbo 2.2 in?

Along those same lines, any reason why I can't just perform the EZK swap with the red/black wire on pin 12, then install the turbo computer but run it NA until I can get the +t-ing finished?

Okay, so I finished converting my 86 240 over to EZK. First - the car is still NA for another week or two. After performing the swap It runs great with the Turbo EZK and NA ECU but when connecting the Turbo ECU it starts but won't stay running for more then a few seconds at a time.

I was under the impression one could run a NA car on a Turbo ECU and the ECU would just treat it as though it was producing no boost. Is this wrong?
Am I seeing the signs of a faulty ECU?
Anything else that could cause this?

(Of note is with the Turbo ECU I Had EZK pin 15 connected to ECU pin 12 like the instructions on the EZK conversion thread say, and when re-installing the NA ECU, I reconnected pin 12 to its original blue/white wire)

The consensus over on BS seems to be that I'm running the wrong injectors, I'm still using the stock injectors but have injectors that Gabe pulled for me back when we were planning on going LH2.4, I had not used them because I assumed I only needed them for LH2.4 - that's what I get for assuming, I guess.

First off thanks to other brickers for there good wright ups.been tons of help.

So no way this will work with a EZK 116.looks like a VR sensor on 116 i have. even though it is three wire sensor.isee two inputs on wiring diagram for 116
on 117 i see power to sensor ,return signal,and gound.

i also see different pin outs.(easy to change) so to make EZK work with a distibutor mounted hall sensor i have to have 117 unit. if not i need flywheel mounted sensor.

By the way 85 turbo 240 with a 88 240na motor swap. I ran LH2.2 with crysler no work right. swaping in 3.1 with EZK and wiring up for MS also at same time. figured 3.1 had tps and thottle body i needed for MS.

Does anyone think a distributor hall will workwith EZK 116.My guess is no.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm in the middle of doing this swap with my 1985 NA 245. I have no intentions of turboing this car, can I retain my stock ECU?

Another question, my EZK harness doesn't have the blk/rd stripe wire in pin 15. Do I just leave this be, or do I run a wire from pin 15 to pin 12?

NVM, figured it out.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of an installation using a custom built harness (sadly) sourced here on the site. The whole thing has been fraught with problems, and I've solved some, but I'm almost at the point where I'm going to rip the whole thing out and start over with my own harness and just chalk it up to experience. This is LH2.2 and EZK for a B230FT. I have traced almost all the wires per the multicolored schematic posted here and elsewhere, and things seem to be in the right place. At this point I think I need to step through everything with a meter and see if I can check all the signals. Anyone up for helping me with this? Anyone with patience and a knack for EZK willing?

Yah, after finding the fifth bad connection I gave up, ripped the whole harness out. Pulled an EZK and LH harness off the shelf and started over. Chalk this one up to a flakey vendor. Who knows how many other gremlins are hiding in this mess.

I wanted to comment on this section. This is a great write-up, but there's a bit of missing information here.

The original pin 12 of the ecu harness on a non-turbo car has a blue-white wire running to the throttle position sensor. Since it was already there, I figured it ought to stay. I spliced the red-black wire from pin 15 of the EZK harness and spliced it into the blue-white wire, but left the blue-white wire intact from the TPS to the ECU.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that might be what resulted in the death of my ICU. I'm replacing the ICU, and I've cut off the blue-white wire to the TPS. At any rate, it's not needed for a turbo car, so you should sever it when you make this ICU to ECU connection.

Aaron

Is this Correct?
Thanks -

You know if when turbo'ing a 1985 240dl NA you need to swap the whole ecu and icu out because if you still run the old Chrysler system it doesn't have a knock sensor to retard ignition timing if "detonation" occurs. I have a turbo headers intercooler, oil/cooler lines everything I need but do I need to swap the ecu and icu out? I'm new to volvos so sorry if I'm not making much sence right now

Back