• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Rear Cam Plug - How much disassembly?

Lazarus

B230F engine with side mount distributor. The rear cam plug is about 3/16" deep. How much disassembly is required to change out the plug? Should I just leave well enough alone unless there is an actual oil leak?

Thanks!
Lazarus

I'm really not sure if you can jsut shove a new one in there with everything else assembled.

But do do it 'right':
- remove valve cover
- remove rear cam cap
- remove old plug
- clean everything up
- very light coating of RTV (probably not necessary, looks amateurish and whatever)
- replace cam cap
- replace valve cover with new gasket
- look despondently at all the other places oil likes to drip from

I?d leave it alone and get a rear cam seal retainer from 15a. But I?m pretty sure for removeal the easiest method is to just remove the valve cover and then grab it out. Installation is as easy as making sure the surfaces are both clean and pressing it in evenly.

Edit: John is correct. I forgot that the last cam cap holds it in. Still easy enough.

The rear cam plug iirc is basically remove the valve cover (needs new gasket) remove the rear cam bearing cap (2 bolts) and pop the plug out. Put in a new one and done.

If you don't have an oil leak though then yes... why would you replace it at all?

If you were going in there you should check your valve shims as well which is also easy. It's worth having the IPD (or whoever) valve shim kit on hand to prevent having to order parts and have your car down though IMO.

:oops: ....so you shouldn't just shove the plug into the hole at the back of the valve cover? then retainer over it?
I did this not long ago, its leaking now. I also used rtv...but if its supposed to be held by the last cam cap, sounds like I did it wrong.

Yeah, I've never had success with forcing that plug into the hole. It leaked on me. So I always remove the cam bearing cap and install it that way. Then put on the retainer afterward.

welp, looks like valve cover is coming off tomorrow.

OP, id consider myself a very novice "mechanic" and I would consider this a very easy job, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. bad things will follow.

Don't forget to seal the cam cap. This says to do the front cap but it's for B21/B23. B230 needs both front and rear caps sealed.

CamCapSealer.jpg

:oops: ....so you shouldn't just shove the plug into the hole at the back of the valve cover? then retainer over it?
I did this not long ago, its leaking now. I also used rtv...but if its supposed to be held by the last cam cap, sounds like I did it wrong.

I?ve definitely done this multiple times with success. Only reason I?ve had to remove the valve cover and rear cap is to remove the old seal.

I have never used RTV either but rather a thick lubricant like Vaseline. If you make sure it goes in straight it shouldn?t leak. IIRC I used a 2x4 or something to push it in there straight. You can come up with a better system than that though.

ahh, I put mine in right after I swapped my cam and removed the head mounted dist. so there was no old seal. but it is leaking, so ill redo today if I can get my hands on a valve cover gasket. Might just try to reinstall the seal like I did the first time amd see what happens.

Back