• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Sunroof Seal

Bump for info on available seals. My 740 is leaking as much as info on the next iPhone and it's driving me nuts. Cleaned the drain ducts already, but it still seems to be leaking badly through the panel headliner. :/

Bump for info on available seals. My 740 is leaking as much as info on the next iPhone and it's driving me nuts. Cleaned the drain ducts already, but it still seems to be leaking badly through the panel headliner. :/

All sunroof seals leak some water. If you are getting water in your car and the drains are clean, I've found that water leaks under the front cap for the mechanism and two tubes. Volvo sealed this area with linseed oil putty (plumber's putty). If you remove the six screws holding the front cap and pack this area with plumber's putty, I think you'll stop the leak. See the picture below.

7fxo.jpg

o2ys.jpg

It worked on my 1987 745T.

Used 3M Windo-Weld and replaced the seal. Opened up the cowl and sealed up the blower motor cover and the windshield too.

Still leaks.

GAH.

Did a smoke test, and it seems like there's a leak in the drain pipe inside the A-pillar. Great.

Glad to see this thread. Off to the Stealer to see if they can order a seal for the 765. I need to pull out the sunroof to do the headliner soon as we get two more days of sunshine.

I'm going through this same ordeal. I replaced the sunroof seal w/ one from the PnP thinking the drains were overwhelmed by all the water leaking into the pan. It was still leaking (I'd make a turn and get drenched), so I tried the plumber's putty under the front cover (above motor, under the wind deflector). After doing this I poured water directly into the pan on the front driver's side. The turbulence of the water entering the pan caused it to come up over the front lip of the pan where the pan is bolted to the roof of the car. Since it normally wouldn't have turbulence like a hose directly into the pan I decided to try a "real world" simulation. I simply ran a hose over the closed sunroof and no leaking... until I started driving. Then torrential down pour!

After that I started thinking, if the front cover should be sealed; should the whole cable assembly be sealed to the pan? I'm going to give this a shot. My drains work so I'm a little perplexed... Have you also considered doing this?

I haven't thought of that yet.

I worked on it again last weekend, trying to mop it all up. Tore the carpet out on the passenger side and threw away the rotten foam layer that was soaked through. Letting it all dry first before doing the water-pour test again.

The "sunroof"option in the 1995 940 was a moonroof, the same as used in 960s.

Roger that, I've looked at several 95s over the years in GA Pullapart's..... most have no roof, but those that do have the glass version. 94 last year of painted metal roof in the 9's.

Looking for options for my '93 940. Thought about generic bulk in acceptable profiles something like this:

non_toxic_rubber_trim_seal_automotive_sunroof_rubber_seal.jpg

sunroof_trim_lace_heat_resistant_auto_rubber_seal_aging_resistance.jpg

Have no luck finding exact dimension specs.

Back