• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Classifieds suggestions

Chigga 744SE

Taiwan hillbilly
I've noticed sometimes it takes a while for me to search in classifieds on TB compare to other forums, if we can have them categorized to:

-Wheels and Tires
- Drivetrain & Transmission Parts (incld brakes)
- Engines, Performance Parts & Software
- Complete car
- Parts car

I think that will help a lot of us to find what we looking for faster.

I've noticed sometimes it takes a while for me to search in classifieds on TB compare to other forums, if we can have them categorized to:

-Wheels and Tires
- Drivetrain & Transmission Parts (incld brakes)
- Engines, Performance Parts & Software
- Complete car
- Parts car

I think that will help a lot of us to find what we looking for faster.

Repost.

Rules & Guidelines ---------------- READ FIRST!! -----------
Please do your best to follow these standard format examples for posting an advertisement in the "for sale" forum. This will help your item be seen by readers.

Prefix: This will allow you to help identify what it is you are selling so others can find it.
WV = Working Vehicle
NWV = Non-Working Vehicle
PT = Parts

I like that as well.

One of the other forums I frequent (not about cars) has a nice policy of sellers posting when an item has sold and then a mod locks the thread. Makes it super easy to see that a thread should be disregarded unless you are looking for the price a similar item might have sold for.

That doesn't fit well with my recycling of threads, and makes work for the mods.

If you guys need babysitting go to the structure of E-bay, and battle it out with the rest of the world.

For Sale is what it is IMO.

Maybe because it is something people would like to see changed :roll:

I really dislike the multipage long for sale threads, with posts like "I'll take the ____" that was sold days ago. Or has reference to parts that have been edited out by the OP.

How hard would it be for the mods to search the classifieds section for "sold" and lock threads with the last post by the OP that has sold in it?

Personally I like the old way where you could find a part by title, and research what things sold for.
It seems the item multiple threads make it difficult for buyers perusing For Sale,and sellers alike.
Perhaps if everyone is kept in the dark prices will be in a great state of flux.
:twocents:
But what do I know?
I just bring parts to the table, and let them fall where they may.

We could add more categories to use as a prefix.

The forum won't be sub divided into multiple sections, though.

We could add more categories to use as a prefix.

The forum won't be sub divided into multiple sections, though.

Can we have the prefix as clickable on the main classified page? is it possible to make the prefix a mandatory when submitting new thread to help people find it easier and thus faster turn around rate?

Can we have the prefix as clickable on the main classified page?
As a way to sort out just the one prefix you click on? I'm not sure. I think the only way to do this now is to do a search for a prefix and not give any other criteria. If I go to Advanced Search, click "working vehicle", and then click to search only in For Sale, I can find the first 100 threads with "WV" as the prefix.

is it possible to make the prefix a mandatory when submitting new thread to help people find it easier and thus faster turn around rate?
Doesn't appear possible from the settings. In the "permissions" section for a prefix, it lets me choose which user groups may use the prefix...not something we really need since everyone having access to For Sale can use the prefixes. Doesn't have an option to make it mandatory, though.

Thread Prefixes Overview
Thread prefixes are a structured way to specify how certain topics are discussed within a forum. You create prefix sets which contain many prefixes and can be tied to any number of forums.

When a user creates a thread, he or she will have the option of specifying a prefix to the thread title. This prefix can be used to filter threads within the forum or searched on.

For example, you may wish to use prefixes in a marketplace forum, where people post "Wanted" and "For Sale" entries. Alternatively, if you have multiple products and only one announcement forum, you could have prefix threads in that forum depending on the product they relate to.
Appears to be set as an optional choice.

For misc. bits and pieces I would think PT would be fine for multiple items.

If you have wheels or an engine, start a new thread for that item. I suggest people subscribe to their forsale threads and use the quicklinks dropdown to see them at a glance. Delete the subscription when the item is sold.

That seems completely opposite to the idea of making the classifieds easier to navigate.

IMO classified threads should be disposable, once the item is sold, lock it and move on, leaving the price for posterity. There should be no zombie classified threads being revived months/years later unless the OP bumps it. :twocents:

Sounds like more work for all involved especially the moderators.

You don't think an easier to navigate classifieds would benefit the people such as yourself who are trying to sell things?

Having the item in the title, an accurate description including any flaws and pictures is what works.
Perusing the page to see what is available, and mouse overs for prices is the 'easy way' imo.

I agree that locking threads would be work for the mods and is probably too much for the laidbackedness that is TB.

:nod:

But, I find it selfish that someone would want to make it harder (ie not want to make simple improvements) for other people to navigate the classifieds because they are set in their ways or want to save the few seconds it takes to start a new thread, subscribe to it, and delete the subscription when done with it. You are saving time at other peoples expense, which has become a pervasive point of view on this site IMO. SEARCH NOOB!

Board default settings are usually what works best, and are selected as default for that reason.

Back