• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

Can you get me some pics of the seat install? I used to have good pics of M3 seats in a 242, but lost them over the past 2 years & can't find them via search.
I'm ready to call somebody over to weld up brackets for my seats & would like to have a picture to go by.

Alright, let's try this again in 2012 :) I didn't touch the car much last year but am determined to change that this year.

Finally finished up the wiring "tuck" up front. Power block, headlights, turn signals, horn, e-fan and some extra wires for who knows what down the road all routed inside the driver's fender. I used a 22-pin Weatherpack connector passing through the inner fender. Still need to build the harness on the inside, but that shouldn't be too bad. It really was nice to clean up the clutter under the hood.

weatherpack-1.jpg

weatherpack-2.jpg

weatherpack-3.jpg

The next big task is the new flywheel/clutch/PP and a hydraulic conversion white it's out. I'm also consider switching over to VEMS and selling the full Megasquirt II and EDIS setup, so stay tuned for that for sale thread sometime this summer (I'm hoping).

Otherwise the car runs well even after prolonged sitting. I had to put a new battery in because the Red Top was toast after so many up and down cycles. Hopefully I can get it inspected this year, because the sticker on it still says 2007 :lol:

That is quite precisely where I was planning on putting my Weather pack plugs. However I was going to put the relays and things in cabin. Having em vulnerable like that and having to pull the fenders to get at em makes me nervous.

Yeah, the access is a concern, but I should be able to just remove the wheel and inner fender and drop the entire assembly down. There's a fair amount of space to get a wrench on the nuts/bolts holding that bracket in place. Certainly don't plan on removing the whole fender to change a relay!

I hope to have some more significant updates soon. The parts are piling up again! :)

Yeah, the access is a concern, but I should be able to just remove the wheel and inner fender and drop the entire assembly down. There's a fair amount of space to get a wrench on the nuts/bolts holding that bracket in place. Certainly don't plan on removing the whole fender to change a relay!

I hope to have some more significant updates soon. The parts are piling up again! :)

It's a love/hate thing when that happens. OH SHINY STUFF, wait I have a bunch of work to do now.

I've been making slow but consistent progress over the last 3 months. Pic from yesterday:

242-engine-bay-July12.jpg

Right now I'm working on Version 1.5 of the engine/drivetrain. Still a stock big-rod B230FT bottom end, but now including:

• 531 head with 38mm exhaust valves
  • RSI's Stage II turbo cam
  • Megasquirt 3 with expansion board
  • DSM CAS using the Yoshifab adaptor
  • LS2 coils
  • KL Racing billet lower timing gear with woodruff key
  • KL Racing serpentine belt system (alternator, WP, crank)
  • John Parker aluminum/steel flywheel
  • 8.5" kevlar full clutch disk
  • Dual diaphragm Clutchnet PP
  • Hydraulic clutch conversion
  • Other stuff I'm forgetting

Version 2.0 will (hopefully) add a built B230 bottom end, new intake manifold, entirely new fuel system, a LSD, and whatever else.

I also have a set of Kaplhenke coilovers/camber plates/roll steering correctors ready to be installed. 300 lb front and 250 lb rear springs. The strut tubes have been shortened one inch, so the car will be low but not crazy low. I stuck with the single adjustable Konis up front as I've been happy with them in the stock length on the car. Ben supplies some seriously nice parts!

So yeah, lots going on kind of all at once, and hopefully a lot more to show soon!

In the meantime, here's a pic of another "project" I picked up in May:

Bodie-best-pic.jpg

4 months old now, Bodie is more of a pain than the Volvo is! He's 9-10 weeks in that pic.

[*]John Parker aluminum/steel flywheel
[*]8.5" kevlar full clutch disk
[*]Dual diaphragm Clutchnet PP
[*]Hydraulic clutch conversion

This sounds almost identical to what I have but I think the PP is also a John P sourced unit. What did you end up shimming your pivot to? 5mm?

300 lb front and 250 lb rear springs.

Those are way too close of spring rates.

This sounds almost identical to what I have but I think the PP is also a John P sourced unit. What did you end up shimming your pivot to? 5mm?

The PP was sourced from John P as well, it just says Clutchnet on it :). I haven't installed it yet, but when I do I'll let you know how much shimming is required.

Back