• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

impact gun/socket question

woodlumn

I'm considering hitting the pawn shop for an impact gun before starting the struts & shocks job on my 240 wagon. I've never owned or used one of these tools before, and I've got a few questions:

- I've got a 5 gallon, 150psi compressor. will this be enough?
- Do I need to get special sockets to use this?
- Can you see any problem with using this tool for this job?

Thanks!

- I've got a 5 gallon, 150psi compressor. will this be enough?
- Do I need to get special sockets to use this?
- Can you see any problem with using this tool for this job?

- No. Not enough to turn my 1/2 inch impact with anyway. And a 1/4 inch wont break the nut loose on the strut (the struts, they spinnin' man - they spinnin')
- Not really, but anything cheaper than Craftsman get beat up fast with steady use.
- Safety glasses :nod:

yes on the special sockets....different material and the lack of the chrome plating (which could come off and slice you up)

that being said, I use both the correct impact sockets (usually black oxide in color) and the regular chrome plated sockets

might have to let the tank fill up to get enough volume and pressure, but you'll love using air tools !!!!!

Thanks for the response, swedefiend.

Sounds like I shouldn't bother with it at this time. I have not been able to find a 24mm wrench with an offset deep enough to get that nut off, and I've never had good luck with getting a pipe wrench or vice grips to bite well enough on the shiny strut piston. Hmm...

edit: thanks for the other two responses as well. I guess this puts me back on the fence :)

I run my 1/2 " IR on a baby compressor.
About the time the bolt or nut is baggied up the compressor is recovered.
I have neither the space nor inclination for a $2 or $3K compressor to properly run air tools.
I would buy the harbor freight gun new for occasional use before i would take a chance on a worn out pawn shop gun.

Edit;
Bust it loose when it is on the ground,but don't spin it off all the way.

Or just get real..

IRImpacts1.jpg

I run my 1/2 " IR on a baby compressor.
About the time the bolt or nut is baggied up the compressor is recovered.
I have neither the space nor inclination for a $2 or $3K compressor to properly run air tools.
I would buy the harbor freight gun new for occasional use before i would take a chance on a worn out pawn shop gun.

Edit;
Bust it loose when it is on the ground,but don't spin it off all the way.

My dad had a compressor with similar specs to the one in question that I tried to use with my 1/2 inch MAC. That particular gun had a "double throw" hammer on it, so it may have had a higher CFM requirement.

Anyway, maybe a gun from Harbor Freight with a lower CFM requirement would get it done.

Mine would only turn for 15-20 secs and then the compressor would come on. While the compressor was running, I could only get the gun up to ~1/2 speed.

I wound up paying a guy at Firestone $50 to R/R the struts off the car.

If there's a shop near you, ask one of the mechanics very nicely if they'll loosen the nuts for you, then hand tighten the nut back on before you drive off. When you get back home they should be able to be loosened again without the impact. Do your work, then tighten them back down as best as you can and return to the shop to let the guy crank them down with the impact. Or get an electric impact.

Craigslist can have some good deals on compressors sometimes, it's not the size or PSI that counts, it's the CFM @ 90 rating.

My dad had a compressor with similar specs to the one in question that I tried to use with my 1/2 inch MAC. That particular gun had a "double throw" hammer on it, so it may have had a higher CFM requirement.

Anyway, maybe a gun from Harbor Freight with a lower CFM requirement would get it done.

Mine would only turn for 15-20 secs and then the compressor would come on. While the compressor was running, I could only get the gun up to ~1/2 speed.

I wound up paying a guy at Firestone $50 to R/R the struts off the car.

You just need to wait a bit or buy an emglo compressor that you can turn up to 120+ not one of those lousy craftsman reed valve compressors that sh!t the bed in 6 mos.

I do have 2 9 gallon stainless aircraft oxygen tanks for reserve air at home,but when I take it in the field it takes just a little patience,and a minute to secure the loose hardware.
YMMV

Those IR tools are soooo efficient.

I'll second opinion that it's worth a try, if you already own a compressor. Get some 3/8" hose and a cheap impact wrench, and at most, you're out $30. Any idea what the cfm@90psi rate of your compressor is?

You should have at least a few good blasts before it needs to recharge.

-Ryan

Thanks for the response, swedefiend.

Sounds like I shouldn't bother with it at this time. I have not been able to find a 24mm wrench with an offset deep enough to get that nut off, and I've never had good luck with getting a pipe wrench or vice grips to bite well enough on the shiny strut piston. Hmm...

edit: thanks for the other two responses as well. I guess this puts me back on the fence :)

+ 1 on the electric impact wrench. DeWalt for $100 wins every time.

Snap-on has a 15/16 deep offset combo wrench that fits with a bit of massaging, that's what I use on the upper nut. Mac Tools has the 15/16 strut tool also with a six point socket welded onto a long bar handle, about $30, lot cheaper than IPD.

Do your best to find Ingersoll Rand Ti series impacts.

I have a 2135Ti and it is great, been abusing that thing for over 6 years now and it has never missed a beat.

Do your best to find Ingersoll Rand Ti series impacts.

I have a 2135Ti and it is great, been abusing that thing for over 6 years now and it has never missed a beat.

I have to say that my 3/8 inch ratchet was an Ingersoll Rand. A friend gave it to me when I moved down here from TN. I used that thing for like 6 yrs with no problems.

All I'm trying to say here is +1 on the IR brand.

I'm actually sort of leaning towards giving that nut a shot with what I've got and if that doesn't work, taking it to the shop down the road and asking them to break the nut for me. Come to think of it, that's what I did with one of my front struts on another car. They were very nice about it.

The impact tool seems like a luxury though...something I feel like I should be treating myself to after years of working on cars without one.

If I do go for it, I'm leaning towards scoping second hand for one of the good brands mentioned here, or just picking one up at harbor freight.

This took my C/S harmonic balancer bolt off when a 5 ft extended pull handled wouldn't. It's an Electric Impact. VERY handy, because all ya need is a drop cord. VERY portable, for "away" jobs too.:-D

Just make sure to get a powerful hi torque/ft/lb one.

100_4519.jpg

100_4520.jpg

The price is right on that chicago 45252...electric might not be a bad idea. 240 ft/lbs seems like it might be enough for most jobs.

I agree. My first 1/2 in. gun was from harbor freight and it lasted several years of occasional use. When it quit, I bought a cheapo walmart wrench for about the same price which never was very good and gets worse every time I use it. They do wear out.

Back