• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Skinny rods don't suck that much

162mm h beams on my benchtop seem right sized.

The 13mm's in my block haven't bent yet, 3 blocks ago they did somethin fierce, the last block cracked a piston, 700mi on the current setup is alright.

I should get some pistons to go with those nice rods, then maybe i can put together an engine.

My rod is just the right size.

Have you had it blue printed, and cryoed?

162mm h beams on my benchtop seem right sized.

The 13mm's in my block haven't bent yet, 3 blocks ago they did somethin fierce, the last block cracked a piston, 700mi on the current setup is alright.

I should get some pistons to go with those nice rods, then maybe i can put together an engine.

Have you had it blue printed, and cryoed?

No, but it has been through rigorous testing for the last 38 years. Zero failures in any environment and always up for maximum performance.

I have seen some 13mm rods that were quite bent, but not broken. Sure they didn't have much longer, but I'm pretty sure that their more progressive give saved a couple blocks.

I love my b21ft, sure it's more rotating weight but it suits my needs perfectly

Only half the rod weight is calculated as rotating, and I have no gripes with that END of the rod... and not toooo worried about the other end that much.. It's the fact that that 145mm rod means there's a piston that weighs about 880 grams starting and stopping and starting and stopping twice per revolution cause it has to be at least 46mm compression height---and Shirely with all the full time pro genii here somebody ought to be able to calculate how much energy it costs to stop, then start the rod at the top of the stroke, then stop it again and start it again at the bottom of the stroke, then do the same calculations for a piston that weighs oh say Hmmmmmmmmmmm 340 grams and 70-80g less rod weight..
Obviously it takes the old standby unit of measurment "a metric sh?t-ton" more to reciprocate a 880g piston and half a 870 gram rod than a 340 gram piston and half of a 730g rod, but I bet you we'd collectively sheeet the bed to see some hard numbers...

140g lighter reciprocating weight is noticable to anybody in how the motor responds...

So don't sweat the rotating, but be a hawk on the reciprocating weight.

he sustained an injury from a 9mm balistic projectile...

9mm bullet?

nope 9mm Volvo rod...

(this got OT quick ^_^ )

No, but it has been through rigorous testing for the last 38 years. Zero failures in any environment and always up for maximum performance.

Better track record than mine, I've had issues with pre-detonation and misfires in 'hotter' regions :rofl:
I got aftermarket bolts now :omg:

Pretty much...

Posting from my beyond the living world device.

Blue aftermarket bolts eh?

How is it where ever it is? Is it all cloudy?

Before the rod 'sploded and kilt ya, did you ever have a chance to see this wonderful, really amazing film?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Matter_of_Life_and_Death_(film)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946) is a romantic fantasy film created by the British writing-directing-producing team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, and set in England during the Second World War. It stars David Niven, Roger Livesey, Raymond Massey, Kim Hunter and Marius Goring.

The film was originally released in the United States under the title Stairway to Heaven, which derived from the film's most prominent special effect: a broad escalator linking Earth to the afterlife. The decision to film the scenes of the Other World in black and white added to the complications. They were filmed in Three-Strip Technicolor, but the colour was not fully developed, giving a pearly hue to the black and white shots, a process cited in the screen credits as "Colour and Dye-Monochrome Processed in Technicolor". This reversed the effect in The Wizard of Oz[nb 1]. Photographic dissolves between "Technicolor Dye-Monochrome" (the Other World) and Three-Strip Technicolor (Earth) are used several times during the film.

In 2004, a poll by the magazine Total Film of 25 film critics named A Matter of Life and Death the second greatest British film ever made, behind Get Carter.[3]

How does that work? Can you just think about stuff and POOF! it materializes? Do they have films where ever you are?

Well look at this and then tell us if its anything like that. m'kay?

Kinda the same as always, except people tend to willfully ignore you, and when they don't, they scream and run elsewhere. It's quite the irritating thing.

I call them "diesel escapees"..

It's odd Volvo went from one crazy extreme with the B21/23 M rod, to a disgustingly absurd junk 9mm thing then to a "barely adequate if everything is perfect" "13mm"..

How about a "right sized rod"?

Maybe it was due to the late arrival of the Volvo accounting bean counters?

Does seem strange though. Looks like they could have done better.....

Back