home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by per0lund View Post
Well I have had 15G,-16T turbos in my 745 and now a TD04HL-22T and still using all stock oil/water/connections with banjos from the -13c turbo, if you change anything it will be for your eyes only.
Wow! I never said the stock 13c lines wouldn't work I said some tdo4 center sections had different locations for the water line holes. Try and use the stock water hard line in the hole in the other spot and let me know how that works for you. You sure are expert on telling others what you don't know. I'm getting sick of it..

Also I did 8.0 in 1/8 mile on my way to 12.61 in quarter mile with 15G Getrag 5 speed, your 9.35 ain't sheet....

__________________
1988 245 White slicktop M47 Wagon! 2.5L NA 8v going in.
1990 745 B230FT Getrag JohnV flywheel 240mm clutch 13c A-cam 3.54 G80 548K MILES
1991 740SE B230FT NPR Strut braces IPD bar A cam 550cc EV14's. 3.73 G80 M90 to put in.

Last edited by sbabbs; 01-15-2017 at 06:33 PM..
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #27
fortbrick
Board Member
 
fortbrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana
Default

The 19t that I just sold had the same water passages as what you are describing, Simon. I believe he was able to use the original passage on it when upgrading from a 13c.
fortbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #28
Fumomike
Board Member
 
Fumomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Valdosta, GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbrick View Post
The 19t that I just sold had the same water passages as what you are describing, Simon. I believe he was able to use the original passage on it when upgrading from a 13c.
Yeh
Fumomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #29
per0lund
Board Member
 
per0lund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Wow! I never said the stock 13c lines wouldn't work I said some tdo4 center sections had different locations for the water line holes. Try and use the stock water hard line in the hole in the other spot and let me know how that works for you. You sure are expert on telling others what you don't know. I'm getting sick of it..

Also I did 8.0 in 1/8 mile on my way to 12.61 in quarter mile with 15G Getrag 5 speed, your 9.35 ain't sheet....

Well it is true but, you only have to straighten the line out a little bit and change angel and then it fits.

I´ve never done anything else and it still works, and looks just fine. I sprayed mine with some heat resistant aluminiumpaint, as well

And by the way my 9,3 was made in 2005 with a -16T, things has happened since that, the slip is gone long time ago, it wasn't 'readable any longer.

These races have been forbidden in Sweden for 8 years now so I don`t expect to make a better time.

The car is in workshop at this very moment ,with a brand new engine and set up for maping and dyno test , so I hope to get it done this week.
__________________
Volvo 745 -90 B-230FK , M90, 3,31:1 Eaton diff,-MS3X 83 lbs/hr injectors TD04HL-20T
S60 2,5T AWD
SAAB 9-5 2,3T
Ford Thunderbird LX -95

Last edited by per0lund; 01-16-2017 at 06:52 AM..
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:17 AM   #30
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by per0lund View Post
These races have been forbidden in Sweden for 8 years now so I don`t expect to make a better time.
Wait what?! Since when you swedes consider whether it's legal or not to race ?! What races you talkin bout?
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #31
per0lund
Board Member
 
per0lund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
Wait what?! Since when you swedes consider whether it's legal or not to race ?! What races you talkin bout?
Legal streetrace There was a organization called "Black race" that organized races for the "common" with simple rules.
You get a time slip every time you race, and there was official lists of the races.

Races where held at a road closed while races where going on

Now days, there are only a couple of drag racing tracks where you can race if you have classified car with a lot of safety equipment, licence to race and so on.

The Swedish authority's makes their best to stop or make it difficult to arrange these competitions as well, applying to environmental argues as noise and pollution.
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #32
lookforjoe
Board Member
 
lookforjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockland County, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Wow! I never said the stock 13c lines wouldn't work I said some tdo4 center sections had different locations for the water line holes. Try and use the stock water hard line in the hole in the other spot and let me know how that works for you. Y
The 16T from a P2 uses the other outer port - I had to remove the plug & tap the lower port. No way to plug the lower port & have the line properly routed on top

__________________

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #33
per0lund
Board Member
 
per0lund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
The 16T from a P2 uses the other outer port - I had to remove the plug & tap the lower port. No way to plug the lower port & have the line properly routed on top

Hmm your car is a fwd Volvo the don't have the same engine or lining, at all as a 740 with a -13c.

But it start getting stupidity, all I try to say is linings are not a problem to focus at.

The bracket would rather be more important.
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #34
MXSlotkin
You did what to a Volvo?
 
MXSlotkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ED_R View Post
otherwise someone recommended me this, ideas on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-FOR...5YK4qb&vxp=mtr
That's a nice looking kit, but what are you supposed to use to secure the drain hose to the block at the bottom?
__________________
1983 242 DL
*Rebuilt B23F+T RSI stage 2 cam, Megasquirt
*15G
*T5 swap
*IPD sway bars
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=239154

1993 945T
*IPD Cam and Sways
*15g @ 17psi
*LH tuning 101 underway
*Wasted spark conversion
*Big Ebay Intercooler
*3" exhaust from turbo to exit

SOLD 1994 944
RIP 1991 945 Turbo :(
MXSlotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #35
Fumomike
Board Member
 
Fumomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Valdosta, GA
Default

Did you get to read my 13C->19T conversion? I have in depth pictures on installation and what i had to deal with. Oil Feed line did not line up properly so i had to bend it to the CHRA. Oil Drain line Did not line up properly because CHRA was different to the 13c, So oil would have never made it to the pan if i didn't cut the metal lines and replace with a flexible hose. Finally, as long as your Water feed and water out lines are at least partially flexible, then you will not have any problems with fitment. '

THe Kinugawa kit. I got it also for my installation but ended up only using like 20-30% of the kit. Oil lines and stuff will require completely replacing your Solid Oil lines, which from when i was doing it, would probably be even more tedious than installing the turbo.

And the 19T vs. 13C oil+water input holes were a bit different. Not in location but whether or not it was blocked off or not there.
Fumomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #36
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

^^^^^

You just did it wrong. 13c oil feed and the return work just fine on a 15g.
__________________
No Start Thread
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #37
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by per0lund View Post
Legal streetrace There was a organization called "Black race" that organized races for the "common" with simple rules.
You get a time slip every time you race, and there was official lists of the races.

Races where held at a road closed while races where going on

Now days, there are only a couple of drag racing tracks where you can race if you have classified car with a lot of safety equipment, licence to race and so on.

The Swedish authority's makes their best to stop or make it difficult to arrange these competitions as well, applying to environmental argues as noise and pollution.

In California if you get caught street racing they can impound your car and crush it. Police also would use impounded cars to go undercover. People had police scanners and would usually leave to the next spot before the cops showed up to the big ones.



There are a couple 1/8th mile tracks nearby and some 1/4 mile tracks still in Los Angeles.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #38
5ft24
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Default

They have closed all the 1/4 mile tracks near LA, Palmdale was the last one a d it's been closed for a couple years. The rock quarry revoked the lease
5ft24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #39
5ft24
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Default

Sounds like your turbo wasn't reclocked properly. CHRA is identical in coolant and oil locations. TD04 anything are identical CHRA's


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumomike View Post
Did you get to read my 13C->19T conversion? I have in depth pictures on installation and what i had to deal with. Oil Feed line did not line up properly so i had to bend it to the CHRA. Oil Drain line Did not line up properly because CHRA was different to the 13c, So oil would have never made it to the pan if i didn't cut the metal lines and replace with a flexible hose. Finally, as long as your Water feed and water out lines are at least partially flexible, then you will not have any problems with fitment. '

THe Kinugawa kit. I got it also for my installation but ended up only using like 20-30% of the kit. Oil lines and stuff will require completely replacing your Solid Oil lines, which from when i was doing it, would probably be even more tedious than installing the turbo.

And the 19T vs. 13C oil+water input holes were a bit different. Not in location but whether or not it was blocked off or not there.
5ft24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #40
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft24 View Post
They have closed all the 1/4 mile tracks near LA, Palmdale was the last one a d it's been closed for a couple years. The rock quarry revoked the lease
Well crap. I thought there was at least still Palmdale. ...

There is still qualcomm stadium and Barona Casino 1/8th mile. It was just enough track to get into third gear a it the bit and then time to let up.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #41
per0lund
Board Member
 
per0lund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ft24 View Post
Sounds like your turbo wasn't reclocked properly. CHRA is identical in coolant and oil locations. TD04 anything are identical CHRA's
I don't lock neither exhaust housing or compressor housing.
I bolt on exhaust housing to manifold first, then I fit he core and turn it right with oil return line fitted at the core. tightening it in right position, and then linings. Compressor house. can be turned forward and back. It will find it´s best posision by itself.
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #42
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

^^^^Correct way to do it, only thing I want to add is that it needs to be pulled apart first and the alignment dowels removed. Just forcing the housings to move may break the dowels and allow movement, but could damage the housings.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 AM   #43
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by per0lund View Post
Legal streetrace There was a organization called "Black race" that organized races for the "common" with simple rules.
You get a time slip every time you race, and there was official lists of the races.

Races where held at a road closed while races where going on

Now days, there are only a couple of drag racing tracks where you can race if you have classified car with a lot of safety equipment, licence to race and so on.

The Swedish authority's makes their best to stop or make it difficult to arrange these competitions as well, applying to environmental argues as noise and pollution.
jeez.. stop whining about swedish laws against streetracing.. maybe you could come over to germany and see how ****ty the situation is over here.. and we dont even have tracks like malmö harbour or so.. also events like Stockholm Open would be smashed with a ****load of cops instead of yours just a few cops trying the impossible ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #44
R8ED_R
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Default

I should have the turbo and downpipe this week! excited to swap out the 13c! thanks for everyones input.

my next question is. with the stock setup of everything else chip/injectors whats the max PSI i can set it to and what should the wastegate psi be set to?

when it comes to brown tops i see two version on TBs, E5ZE-A3B and Bosch 0280155831. which ones are the ones to get for the 15g? does adding brown tops require adding a chip?

thanks!
R8ED_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #45
lummert
Board Member
 
lummert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland IN
Default

0 280 155 831
31.8 lbs/hr
334.2 cc/min
@ 55.1 psi/ 3.8 bar

E5ZE A3B
0 280 150 803 Porsche 944 Turbo
o 280 150 355 Volvo
36 lbs/hr
380 cc/min @ 43.5 psi/ 3 bar
410 cc/min @ 50 psi / 3.5 bar
__________________
Trying to understand stupid people is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
lummert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #46
per0lund
Board Member
 
per0lund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ED_R View Post
I should have the turbo and downpipe this week! excited to swap out the 13c! thanks for everyones input.

my next question is. with the stock setup of everything else chip/injectors whats the max PSI i can set it to and what should the wastegate psi be set to?

when it comes to brown tops i see two version on TBs, E5ZE-A3B and Bosch 0280155831. which ones are the ones to get for the 15g? does adding brown tops require adding a chip?

thanks!
You should use about the same boost 13-15 PSI or 0.9-1 bar,custom ignition and fuel chips is vey recommendable.

You have to increase fuel, one or another way, but there are more ways to go.

You can modify enlarge AMM and increase "area" as many %, as you increase injector flow in%.

This is a fairly ruff calculation but it gives a good hint where to start.

If you add a adjustable FPR you can do smaller adjusting's by that.
The general Idea is to increase fuel at max flow but maintain fuel to air ratio, and "sort of widening/tensioning entire map.
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #47
5ft24
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Default

Ah... Most of the CHRA's were so dirty and grimy I didn't notice that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Yeah but there are 4 holes for two water lines sometimes the other holes are drilled and tapped. Sorry if you've never seen that, but look at the center section of your tdo4 depends on what car it was for which holes you have that are ready for insertion or not.



Pic for proof of what I am talking about so people will see I am not full of BS..
5ft24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #48
R8ED_R
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Default

i was able to find the specs but was wondering which one would be preferred for my application. or does it not matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lummert View Post
0 280 155 831
31.8 lbs/hr
334.2 cc/min
@ 55.1 psi/ 3.8 bar

E5ZE A3B
0 280 150 803 Porsche 944 Turbo
o 280 150 355 Volvo
36 lbs/hr
380 cc/min @ 43.5 psi/ 3 bar
410 cc/min @ 50 psi / 3.5 bar
R8ED_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #49
R8ED_R
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Default

I understand what you are saying but if i was just to swap the 15g for my 13c and did nothing else what should my wastegate pressure be set to and what should my boost be set to? i currently have the 016 AMM.
Down the road I plan on getting a chip and browntops. But since it's winter i wont need the boost in power it's already fun keeping it in a straight line with the stock setup!


Quote:
Originally Posted by per0lund View Post
You should use about the same boost 13-15 PSI or 0.9-1 bar,custom ignition and fuel chips is vey recommendable.

You have to increase fuel, one or another way, but there are more ways to go.

You can modify enlarge AMM and increase "area" as many %, as you increase injector flow in%.

This is a fairly ruff calculation but it gives a good hint where to start.

If you add a adjustable FPR you can do smaller adjusting's by that.
The general Idea is to increase fuel at max flow but maintain fuel to air ratio, and "sort of widening/tensioning entire map.
R8ED_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #50
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>
 
ZVOLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Default

I'm surprised people still mention brown tops here. Even 10 years ago it was hard to find a set and even then, they came out of a nasty old car.

Just look into buying some new injectors would be my suggestion.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.