home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
muppetman342
Having too much fun

Question LH 2.4 Wasted Spark Worthwhile?

I'm chasing down an intermittent misfire on my LH 2.4 turbobrick. Checked out a lot of things and I believe the issue may be ignition related. Resistance on the coil checks out at one of the extremes of the spec cold (don't remember high or low) and I've been meaning to check it hot as well.

Anyway I'm contemplating a new ignition coil, but I'm also thinking about a wasted spark conversion. If there's a time to do it, it would be before buying a new coil.

Does anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other on whether or not a wasted spark conversion is worthwhile? I'm running a 16T @ 10-12psi, a mostly 3" exhaust that will be full 3" in a year, TLAO chips and all that good stuff.

It's not like I'm dealing with spark blowout at 25 psi or anything crazy like that, but I'm just curious if the wasted spark will get me any noticeable benefits in smoothness, power, fuel economy, etc.
muppetman342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
eabras
Board Member

I stuck an accel ultracoil on my lh2.4 car, and immediatley noticed the difference. Much smoother, easier start and felt stronger. Even with old wires, rotor and cap. Still using it with aftermarket ems (vems) and don't really see the benefit of a wasted spark setup with regards to spark power.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0876/overview/
eabras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
JW240
All idiot, no savant

For me it is simply a matter of install and forget. No distributor to leak or wear out.

On LH2.4 it works excellent. Used both the Bucka and the Bijlsma boards with the Bosch 2x2 coil and Bosch power stage.

fwiw, last summer when i drove my 240+T about 65 miles a day, no highway, 1/3 heavy traffic, lots of stop-go. 27-30,5 MPG. Winter and shorter trips its 24-25. Is it the wasted spark?
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
VB242
Mojo Stealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eabras View Post
I stuck an accel ultracoil on my lh2.4 car, and immediatley noticed the difference. Much smoother, easier start and felt stronger. Even with old wires, rotor and cap. Still using it with aftermarket ems (vems) and don't really see the benefit of a wasted spark setup with regards to spark power.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...0876/overview/
That coil isn't available right now anywere apparently
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
muppetman342
Having too much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
For me it is simply a matter of install and forget. No distributor to leak or wear out.

On LH2.4 it works excellent. Used both the Bucka and the Bijlsma boards with the Bosch 2x2 coil and Bosch power stage.

fwiw, last summer when i drove my 240+T about 65 miles a day, no highway, 1/3 heavy traffic, lots of stop-go. 27-30,5 MPG. Winter and shorter trips its 24-25. Is it the wasted spark?
Yea that Bosch 2x2 coil looks nice, just apparently not sold in the US which increases the cost. Interesting numbers, curious what you'd have gotten on the old dizzy.

Part of my motivation too is that apparently the new coils that Bosch sells for these cars are a lesser-quality unit than the original ones.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

If you want a nice single coil, vw 2.0 from around 2000-2002 uses a 4-post and have a built in ignitor.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
Kestrel
Board Member

Wasted spark with Range Rover Bosch coil and Miata power stage. Basic B230FT in my 245 w/ a 13C, running maybe 12lbs.

Works great - ditching the distributor was one of the chief reasons I switched over.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
muppetman342
Having too much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Wasted spark with Range Rover Bosch coil and Miata power stage. Basic B230FT in my 245 w/ a 13C, running maybe 12lbs.

Works great - ditching the distributor was one of the chief reasons I switched over.
When you say works great, would you say it works better than the distributor set up? I don't find replacing a cap and rotor every however-many miles that annoying.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #9
lookforjoe
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman342 View Post
When you say works great, would you say it works better than the distributor set up? I don't find replacing a cap and rotor every however-many miles that annoying.
Of course it works better. Even more so with a non stock / higher ouptut setup more prone to blowout/spark quality issues under higher than stock boost settings. There is no loss of spark quality inherent in a cap/rotor setup. No degredation of spark over time.

Coil is available new or used in the US, where are you searching??

Doesn't sound like you're interested in improving your setup from your responses, though.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
muppetman342
Having too much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Coil is available new or used in the US, where are you searching??
Searching online I only find it on UK websites or eBay coming from the Netherlands. Could you link me to where you're seeing it sold stateside?

EDIT: I see a few places now, googling on my phone sometimes makes me miss things. Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'm going to go ahead and start gathering the parts for this.

Last edited by muppetman342; 02-04-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #11
per0lund
Board Member

I you want a cheap upgrade you could use this coil, MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coils 8231 https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...8231/overview/ , it will work fine.
I have used a very alike coil for many years, a Mallory Promaster E-core coil, also 0,5 ohm at primary.

I have used several brand E-core coils, but the lowest primary resistance I have tested is 0,5 ohms (stock coil is 0,7 ohm).

It is a matter of what the ignition amplifier can handle, without getting "fried".
Ford Thunderbird LX -95

Last edited by per0lund; 02-05-2017 at 06:14 AM..
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman342 View Post
Yea that Bosch 2x2 coil looks nice, just apparently not sold in the US which increases the cost. Interesting numbers, curious what you'd have gotten on the old dizzy.
The Bosch 2x2 motorsport coil suggested in their original thread.... available.

Just bought a spare of eBay for around $55 to the door, NEW.

EDIT - nice WIKI page explaining the benefits of WS. This is no Volvo only magic, it's Planet wide internal combustion magic. Nothing but upside as has been discussed. I've got plenty of the install details in my DD build thread. Just do it right.... no wiring "crush connections" and rats nest a la typical TBers......

Oh yes, be sure to heat sink your powerstage... the OEM engineers ALL did for some reason.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
per0lund
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
The Bosch 2x2 motorsport coil suggested in their original thread.... available.

Just bought a spare of eBay for around $55 to the door, NEW.

EDIT - nice WIKI page explaining the benefits of WS. This is no Volvo only magic, it's Planet wide internal combustion magic. Nothing but upside as has been discussed. I've got plenty of the install details in my DD build thread. Just do it right.... no wiring "crush connections" and rats nest a la typical TBers......

Oh yes, be sure to heat sink your powerstage... the OEM engineers ALL did for some reason.
I doubt you get the genuine Bosch Motorsport coil pack for 55 bucks but there are a lot of Chinese copy's around in that pricing.

Usually they work well but its still not the same quality.

I use the Bosch Motorsport coilpack now with the MS3X, but paid something like 90$
per0lund is offline   Reply With Quote