• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

BrnBrik's Resurrection

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
iZM3PPrl.jpg

p5A1pl.jpg

Probably a little premature on this thread, but oh well. I'm too excited not to.

So about 4 years ago, my buddy Mark bought a brown '83 244GL. I have wanted this car since I saw him roll up in it for the first time.

The car was quickly megasquirted on a B23F, and did this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4uwnaWn49fw?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It ran 11.1 in the 1/8th on NA MS1 :lol: After that, it had a couple of motors in it...after blowing up the B23F+T, he put in a mildly built B230F+T, and it wound up with a broken piston.

The car has been sitting for about 2 years now. I bought the T5 transmission out of it and put it in the blue wagon, and the car has just been sitting as a shell since then. I patiently waited for Mark to insinuate that he was going to crush it, and bought it for a pittance.

I've always wanted to do a carb build, but could never justify it with MS being so cheap and Webers being $1,000+ for a pair.

Well, luckily for me, there is a company making knockoff Webers in Hong Kong now. These carbs are really popular in Europe, and are pretty much an exact copy of the Weber DCOE 152 carbs. They accept Weber jets, air correctors, emulsion tubes, etc, and seem reasonably well made. I've talked to a couple Swedes and Finns running these carbs, a couple on the street, one in their folkrace series, and both are very happy with them. I took them apart, and aside from a little swarf I cleaned out of the bottom of a couple threaded holes, everything looks pretty solid.

The best part? The pair of carbs was $360.

3dhpR6Il.jpg

I snagged an intake manifold off Ebay (which is apparently cast by the same Chinese outfit that made the carbs). The manifold doesn't have any provision for vacuum, so I'll be drilling and tapping it for that.

ngb0PI6l.jpg

Took a day trip to Atlanta and picked up a forlorn B21F from MikeSr (thanks again!), put it on a stand, and started cleaning.

xBqNc1hl.jpg

Last night, at 11pm, I couldn't resist hanging the carbs on the motor and taking a crappy photo.

k3cgBqHl.jpg

I've got a Malpassi Filter King (combo filter/pressure regulator) on the way. I'll just remove the main fuel pump and run off the in-tank pump. Should be plenty. The FPR apparently doesn't like more than 10psi at the inlet, so the in-tank pump should be perfectly sufficient.

FPR004.JPG

For ignition, I had thought about using a Bosch breakerless setup from a K-Jet car, but then remembered I have an MS1 sitting in the basement, so I'll just use that with an LH2.2 distributor. Still need to dig up an ignition module and a pigtail, but I have everything else.

The throttle linkage will require a little modification. I'll need to extend the tab on the left by 19mm so that it will contact the balancer lever of the carb on the right.

X4HOuCfl.jpg

And I cut up a Q45 throttle body (which fits the stock cable) to get to the spool, which I'll tack weld onto the actuator arm on the right hand carb. I'll make a little bracket for the bottom to hold the stock throttle cable. Should work nicely.

Trans will just be a good 'ol M46 since I'm not going to be making big power or anything.

For the exhaust, I'd like to try and adapt a Ford 2.3 header. I found some old photos of one being held up to a 530 head, but the thread never went anywhere. I'll give it a shot (provided I win the ebay auction) and see how that goes.

s-l400.jpg

QUypoG2l.jpg

Change we can believe in.

Cfp2Dwdl.jpg

I've got a spare 160 head on the shelf that I'd like to mill down for a nice little bump in compression, but for now, I'm just interested in hearing the thing run, so the stock whatever-mile B21 will do. I expect to hook it up and run it on the stand this weekend, provided a few more parts show up.

Neat project. For some reason, that brown 244 just works, aesthetically. It's a mixture of attributes that I wouldn't think would stand a great chance of looking awesome, but the photos prove otherwise.

Glad to see it's being saved.

Keeping the Hydras?

Neat project. For some reason, that brown 244 just works, aesthetically. It's a mixture of attributes that I wouldn't think would stand a great chance of looking awesome, but the photos prove otherwise.

Glad to see it's being saved.

Keeping the Hydras?

Yeah. The car was on GTAs at one point, but those wound up sold. There is a set of Hydras in the trunk. I really liked it on hydras, so it'll stay with those wheels at least for the time being.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's getting a flathood and a faux Group A grille too.

Glad it's being resurrected, in an awesome way!

I'd say keep the coffin hood... But I always say this, hah. :lol:

Also curious about the MPG-s it will make with the "webers"... Heard that they drink a lot, but perform well on NA motors.

Return your tickets and drive this to Oregon in May so that I can slide it all over the place.

Return your tickets and drive this to Oregon in May so that I can slide it all over the place.

Always a room at the house for you to come visit me.

:cameron:

Fake edit//

This is one of the guys I talked to about the carbs. He's got the exact same FAJS DCOE 45s as I do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IPsJ_hd_Rng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is one of the guys I talked to about the carbs. He's got the exact same FAJS DCOE 45s as I do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IPsJ_hd_Rng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wander what the horsepower/TQ is with that set up. and what other engine mods where done.

Back