home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
splatranger95
Board Member

Default Whiteblock POWER!

Hey guys,

Im kinda new to Volvos. I had a SBF/t5 swapped 240 but thats as much as Ive done.

I have a 95 Ford Ranger that has a custom built frame that Im building. I was going to put an ecoboost v6 in it, but I just recently acquired a 99 V70 that was hit in the front corner for Free! So why not use the B5254(?) thats in it instead.

Ill be running MS3 for engine management and either a T5 with 960 (auto?) Bellhousing or Tremec 3550 trans (the T5 adapter should fit the tremec with a very small amount of modification). My biggest question here is what should I expect to need to do to the 2.4 to get 400-450 hp.

I plan to do rods/pistons, use the V70 intake (as Ive read its pretty good), Ill build a custom header and probably use a GT35X or Precision 6266 or similar turbo. Does the head need a port/polish or bigger valves or anything? The B234f head I am very familiar with as Ive done a folvo swap in the past, and it was very impressive. I assume this head is similar?

Also, Im not 100% on when VVT came into the picture. Does this V70 have it and can you do a VVT delete using an older version Cam and gear from say... An 850?

Ill have more questions as this gets going, but please tell me Im on the right track.

here are some truck pics just for attention.

I was using a duratec 4Cyl before, but Ive changed gears a little.
2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup Edition - VW bought back for far too much money
2008 JKU Wrangler - SLOW SLOW 3.8, 4.88 gears on
splatranger95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
ryan242v
Board Member

You can look at cam gears or valve cover near cam gears for vvt solenoid. No need to delete vvt because its unused fail safe position is zero. As long as you have oil pressure cams will be timed at zero unless you activate the solenoid. There are vvt delete cams out there but not necessary.

99+ will be electronic throttle and immobilizer, will have to figure your way around that or use a 98 and older computer with cable throttle. ( just remembered you mention MS, never mind)

Pretty easy to hit 400hp. Rods are a must, bigger intercooler, turbo, free flowing exhaust and intake pipe improvements and decent tune. It's not too difficult.

Looking at your chassis- how do you plan the rear diff setup? Can't tell how axles are gonna reach the wheels. You've got frame every where!
1979 242 DL, 500k miles, B230FT, M45, 3.31 diff
1973 1800ES awaiting restoration, not togethor
1971 Camaro, my highschool car, rusting away
1969 Suzuki T500 Titan II
ryan242v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

immobilizer won't come into play with an ms3 setup.

why not just control the vvt with the MS and move on?

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #4
HiSPL
Board Member

Cuz VVT doesn't really make any more power. It's more for lower rpm torque.

With a MS and a big turbo you don't need VVT
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
LloydDobler
Board Member

The 5 cyl heads flow really well, porting and polishing won't yield big gains. Greater than zero but not as much as just putting on a larger turbo. As was said already the weak point is the rods, but not really weak, they just bend if you have the boost come on at too low RPM, or if you detonate at all. Most tunes keep the boost under 5-10 psi until over 3000 RPM and then they go nuts. You can do up to 400 on the stock internals but not much more from everything I've read. If you want to make big power you should sleeve the block but that makes the engine pretty expensive at that point.
'05 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car
LloydDobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 02:38 AM   #6
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
Cuz VVT doesn't really make any more power. It's more for lower rpm torque.

With a MS and a big turbo you don't need VVT
Huh? Isn't that exactly the scenario in which you would want VVT?
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #7
HiSPL
Board Member

I can see how what I said is cornfusong.

A bigger than stock turbo is what I should have said. And a tune that has it spooling earlier so you make torque with the turbo.

Yes, if your turbo doesn't spool, it would definately be nice to have vvt.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
splatranger95
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan242v View Post
You can look at cam gears or valve cover near cam gears for vvt solenoid. No need to delete vvt because its unused fail safe position is zero. As long as you have oil pressure cams will be timed at zero unless you activate the solenoid. There are vvt delete cams out there but not necessary.

Quote:
99+ will be electronic throttle and immobilizer, will have to figure your way around that or use a 98 and older computer with cable throttle. ( just remembered you mention MS, never mind)
I will probably use a mustang throttle body of some sort and make an adapter for the TB. With MS, this wont be an issue.

Quote:
Looking at your chassis- how do you plan the rear diff setup? Can't tell how axles are gonna reach the wheels. You've got frame every where!
The IRS is an MN12 (tbird/cougar from the 90s) modified with 1 1/2 shorter arms. I jigged it up in the frame and just built the mounts into the frame. Im using a Ford 8.8 out of a cobra with 31 spline axles, and cobra axles. It fits perfect between everything. I guess the pics probably do look a bit confusing though.

This was helpful. My plan for rods/pistons and bigger turbo, seems to be a decent one. Ill update as I go! I have to go pick up the car. Honestly, I havent even opened the hood.

VVT with MS is a decent amount of work and I dont really feel it will give me what I want. I dont need the low end power too much. VVT basically just shifts the torque curve down on Exhaust only VVT. If you have dual dual VVT, it will give you a very linear torque curve in all RPM bands, but single vvt is kinda pointless in my experience. Ill be happy not using it.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
splatranger95
Board Member

Ive also been researching the whiteblock to T5 trans adaption, and I have 2 questions that I havent found exact answers on but and pretty sure I know the answer. The bellhousing to use is an AW30/40 auto from a 960 correct? The M90 is far too hard to source. Also, the input shaft of the T5 is long enough to reach the crank with the adapter plate and requires no machining once the correct pilot bearing is installed correct?
Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
HiSPL
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatranger95 View Post
Ive also been researching the whiteblock to T5 trans adaption, and I have 2 questions that I havent found exact answers on but and pretty sure I know the answer. The bellhousing to use is an AW30/40 auto from a 960 correct?
Yes

Quote:
The M90 is far too hard to source.
Not too hard. Guys from Europe will ship you a kit. Costs about 1500 delivered, but that will net you a stock used trans. And it takes a while to get into your hands.

My problem with this is that 1500 can buy a t56 over here.

Quote:
Also, the input shaft of the T5 is long enough to reach the crank with the adapter plate and requires no machining once the correct pilot bearing is installed correct?
Yes
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
splatranger95
Board Member

Great thanks.. Ya, Ill be using a 3550 Im pretty sure, which I cant imagine isnt better than an m90
Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Are you talking wheel or crank horsepower? You'll be running close to the cylinder walls limits with that much Wheel horsepower. 400-450 crank will be safer, but still kinda pushing it IMO. I believe the stock pistons in the white locks are good to around 500bhp give or take. I'm almost certain you could go with a smaller turbo for your goals also
Wesdunns70t5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:14 PM   #13
justlie
Board Member

Let me know if you need any help setting up MS3 for the whiteblock.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
splatranger95
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlie View Post
Let me know if you need any help setting up MS3 for the whiteblock.
Id love some help. Thank you. Im not quite to that point yet, as I have a decent way to go till I have the thing able to be run, but Ill keep that in mind. I see you have one running on MS3, so thatll be awesome.

Im talking WHP. I guess Ill be buying some Darton sleeves then. Ill probably run the stock block with factory turbo to get everything going, then build a separate block for big power.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #15
andyb5
Board Member

Is the 99 V70 you're getting NA or turbo? If it's an NA, it has a B5244S. The NA blocks are a harder place to start for a high output build - Volvo made a number of modifications to the factory turbo motors that are desirable. The turbo motors have a factory oil cooler, oil squirter jets to cool the pistons/wrist pins, sodium filled exhaust valves to better deal with increases combustion temps, and lower compression (8.5:1 or 9:1 for turbos, 10.3:1 for N/As).

You can add all of those features to a NA block, but it's much easier to start with a factory turbo block, especially since they can be bought in decent shape for a few hundred dollars from an JY.

Another thing to consider is the cylinder bore - a 2.3L turbo motor (B5234T) is an 81mm bore, which has proven itself to be more durable than a 2.4L NA or turbo block (B5244T) 83mm bore. A popular modification to higher output whiteblocks is to shim the space between cylinder sleeves.

For your stated power goals, there's no real need for Darton sleeves - plenty of people have reliably made well over 450 whp on shimmed blocks with stock sleeves. At 450whp with a good tune, you'd be ok with OE pistons and forged H-beam rods, but I can easily understand the desire to throw a set of forged pistons at it while you're in there.

If the 99 V70 you're picking up is an NA, it does not have VVT - the head has the castings for the VVT oil passages, but they're unused because VVT wasn't implemented on NA models until 2000 models.

Got any more pictures of your build on the truck? Looks like an interesting build and it seems like you're doing some pretty nice fabrication work too!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #16
Wilford Brimley
LOCAL ONLY

Cool man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedomtoFreedom View Post
I've got a real issue with you Wilford
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:36 AM   #17
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

GOt any pics of other build pics from other projects?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
splatranger95
Board Member

I actually have a ton more pics, but honestly, its just of the current state of the truck to be honest. If I can link to another forum, here is the complete build thread

http://turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=4719

The car is a GLT so its the 2.4 turbo I believe which should be the B5254T at 190 hp correct? still trying to figure out all this volvo engine stuff. Im a ford guy through and through so this is a little new to me. Ive had the truck for 15 years and its gone through a giant transformation, and evolution and its still continuing. I just got married 2 months ago, so I havent worked on the truck a whole lot this year at all. Looking forward to getting back at it.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
andyb5
Board Member

Quote:
I actually have a ton more pics, but honestly, its just of the current state of the truck to be honest. If I can link to another forum, here is the complete build thread

http://turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=4719

The car is a GLT so its the 2.4 turbo I believe which should be the B5254T at 190 hp correct? still trying to figure out all this volvo engine stuff. Im a ford guy through and through so this is a little new to me. Ive had the truck for 15 years and its gone through a giant transformation, and evolution and its still continuing. I just got married 2 months ago, so I havent worked on the truck a whole lot this year at all. Looking forward to getting back at it.
Quite the project!! I like your garage upgrades along the way too.

That's good, the Volvo motor code is "B5244T". The 83mm bore means the cylinder liners are a bit weaker, but you can shim the block to help deal with this. Here's a decent list of build info if you decide to move forward with some more substantial upgrades for your motor: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-n-whiteblock/
andyb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #20
splatranger95
Board Member

Thanks. coming up in March itll be 5 years. Most of the time was spent for me learning how to do things and changing things up. My fab skills have greatly increased since I started. Like I said Id like 450-500whp so Ill probably build it as robust as possible.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #21
splatranger95
Board Member

Is an 850 single mass flywheel really $500? thats absurd
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
That depends...last two I've bought were $50 each. Just watch "For Sale".
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
ryan242v
Board Member

Quote:
You can get a lightened billet single mass from vivaperformance for $500. If you're gonna spend 500 get the lightened one. Otherwise junkyard.
ryan242v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #24
Jack
Banned

a lot of wrong info in this thread. I dont have much time to type it all up right now

vvt is for economy not like Vtech for power
you dont need to do anything with it... sure you can get the fancy $50 delete plate or just leave it on. like i did on my 2004 whiteblock RN swapped 850

2002 or 03 engines are the RN blocks - stronger internals, higher flowing head.

search volvo 850 RN swap, you will find really good write up - easy to adopt the 850 dizzy and the manual throttle body ( **** just bolts up)
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #25
HiSPL
Board Member

And when you go looking for that 960 for the bellhousing, remember that you'll need a bunch of other stuff from the 960 for the swap.

Oil pan, oil pickup, dipstick, oil filter housing, coolant tube, maybe motor mounts, and maybe some accesory drive stuff. Depending on what you want or what you can fab up.

Also if you are using megasquirt, the coil-on-plugs from the 960 are 2 pin jobbers and work better for you with external ignitors. You could also grab the 960 throttle body and cable spool. Its bigger than what came of the t5 and is cable actuated already.