home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 01-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
ratmonster
Board Member

Default Question about wheel spacers

I realize this might be odd, but I have a very specific vision in mind for my 1992 Volvo 245. Other people might not think it's all that cool, but I'm doing it for me - not them. So bear with me, if you will.

I just bought tires for the car, went with a lower profile than usual. I am running 14" black Volvo steelies with 195/60r14 - yes, they are small, but I like the look, the smaller sidewall to eliminate some flex, etc.

What I don't like is how far my wheels sit inboard, so I am considering getting spacers (the adapter style with studs, not the slip-on wheel spacers) to push them farther out towards the corners. The idea is to improve appearance and, hopefully, handling. I will also be lowering the car soon.

I realize that doing factory steelies on a lowered car, and pushing them to the corners, is not your average customization. It's not going to appease the "status quo" car guy. But this is something I've been wanting to do since my 1979 Corolla - just a real simple, improved handling, bare-bones thing. As Woody Allen said, "The heart wants what the heart wants."

Any suggestions on what size wheel spacer/adapters to use? Anyone have some they want to part with? I was thining 20-25 mm in the front and 32 mm in the rear might be good?
1992 Volvo 240 wagon (estate), muffler delete, modded air box
ratmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
ICantDrift
Board Member

Wheel spacers are not the best for handling, they increase the strain on your wheel bearings due to the lever advantage (or disadvantage in this case) of the hub. They also change your toe measurments, although only slightly. I woud recommend sticking with the stock wheel offset, it was chosen by the engineers who designed the cars for a reason
Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
reed
Board Member

Volvo offered a rear spacer kit for the rear that was 20mm and came with longer wheel studs. SAM in Sweden sold them about 15 years ago. I used them with my stock 240 turbo wheels and 195 60 15 tires. Gives you a little idea of what you can do with what you have.
reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
ratmonster
Board Member

That would be a big improvement, just to have the front and back more similarly spaced.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
lookforjoe
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonster View Post
The idea is to improve appearance and, hopefully, handling. I will also be lowering the car soon.
Not. So, you're going for the broke-ass suspension Honda look, it seems?

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Here ya go...

FWIW; poking the wheels is gonna give you some major scrub radius, and make it steer all twitchy and stuff.

Poking the back only is gonna make it push in the turns.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #7
neptune
2.1L 2.3L 2.8L 2.8L

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed View Post
Volvo offered a rear spacer kit for the rear that was 20mm and came with longer wheel studs. SAM in Sweden sold them about 15 years ago. I used them with my stock 240 turbo wheels and 195 60 15 tires. Gives you a little idea of what you can do with what you have.
Stock:

20mm Volvo spacers:

You need to trim the fender lip to run 195/60-15 with Virgo wheels and 20mm rear spacers. I believe Volvo recommends removing either 7mm or 10mm (can't remember). With 32mm rear spacers you will need to cut the lip past the spot welds. I assume with spacers as big as 25mm on the front you will also have to cut the lip off the front wheel or run flares or something. And probably toss the front fender liners.

Stock studs can handle a 5mm spacer, maybe a 10mm depending on the wheel and lug used. Anything more than that and you will need extended studs or to use adapter style spacers.

Remember that wheels in a non-stock position (ie running spacers with stock offset wheels) will affect the handling significantly, as well as putting extra load on the wheel bearings. It took me a long time to get used to the way the car turns with just the rear spacers.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #8
ratmonster
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Not. So, you're going for the broke-ass suspension Honda look, it seems?
I'm going for wider track, which I happen to like the look of. Based on your sig pic, it looks like you like wider track too. So I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at. But styling is beauty, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Neptune, I like how your car looks. It's a lot cleaner with the rear matching the front. Could you describe a little more about how it changes the steering?

Redwood Chair, pushing in the turns meaning it's gonna want to "walk" in the turns? Like it's going to want to continue to travel outward in the arc of the turn?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 AM   #9
PDXBryan
Board Member

I'm not as expert as Redwood but "pushing"=understeer=more steering input needed to stay on track. Or in other words - the opposite of drifting, or in other words - NO FUN!
PDXBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 AM   #10
ICantDrift
Board Member

If you want performance, think about what a professional race team would do. Run spacers? Likely not, for all of the reasons listed above by me and 3 other people. If going for handling, a wider track, even when done properly, is going to be one of the absolute last things on the list. It makes very very little difference on stock everything else and is not really a concern with these cars. If you're just going for looks, I'm all for it. It can look good with some wheels but with others, it can have the adverse effect.
ICantDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #11
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBryan View Post
I'm not as expert as Redwood but "pushing"=understeer=more steering input needed to stay on track. Or in other words - the opposite of drifting, or in other words - NO FUN!

It'll turn sideways and leave the road instead of going around the corner, but you'll look beautiful doing it !
Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #12
Jack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post

It'll turn sideways and leave the road instead of going around the corner, but you'll look beautiful doing it !
there's a reason why the track with is narrower in the back vs front on cars

but FUK factory engineers
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 AM   #13
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
there's a reason why the track with is narrower in the back vs front on cars

but FUK factory engineers

Car and driver & road and track test drivers used to give the cars rave reviews for going through the cones and the numbers they put down backed them up in spite of the underpowered engines.

That said cut dem sprangs, sky dem A arms, fight dat bump steer, and then kerplunky down ~$3K to almost get it working right again.

That is until you try to transport a full complement of passengers and luggage...

Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 AM   #14
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventuallyAyrton View Post
If you want performance, think about what a professional race team would do. Run spacers? .
What do you know about professional race teams do and do not do?
I don't mean "rich old fat amateurs who are so fat they can't squeeze into the car so they hire skinny pretty boys" and basically race to spend lots of money for meaningless events and where the REAL competition is in the bars and lounges where they lobby the rules.
REAL professionals?

If I can show you stright from a aprts list spacers, will that make you stop talking?

Or maybe you actually DO know...so lay down some foundation for your statement.
"I worked on this team from xxxx- to xxxx as a ______ and "

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:43 AM   #15
Jack
Banned

the the fuk out with your logic sir

cut them sprangs, trow them spacers on, remove trim, remove interrior and paint the centers gold

INB4 CRUSH
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 AM   #16
Jack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
What do you know about professional race teams do and do not do?
I don't mean "rich old fat amateurs who are so fat they can't squeeze into the car so they hire skinny pretty boys" and basically race to spend lots of money for meaningless events and where the REAL competition is in the bars and lounges where they lobby the rules.
REAL professionals?

If I can show you stright from a aprts list spacers, will that make you stop talking?

Or maybe you actually DO know...so lay down some foundation for your statement.
"I worked on this team from xxxx- to xxxx as a ______ and "
I know of many baja etc race teams using spacers
Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #17
John V, outside agitator
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonster View Post
That would be a big improvement, just to have the front and back more similarly spaced.

You can't tell. Not a BIG..anything...not unless you get on your belly and squint and pretend*
So that's a lie.
Lying is a sin..
On your knees and pray forgiveness for lying.

*well you believe in other complete fantasy stuff, why not belive you can see a BIG improvement.
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #18
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
the the fuk out with your logic sir

cut them sprangs, trow them spacers on, remove trim, remove interrior, drop 2k on rimpz and paint the centers gold, and make Ben rich.
ftfy x 2
Old 01-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #19
Jack
Banned

Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 AM   #20
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
You can't tell. Not a BIG..anything...not unless you get on your belly and squint and pretend*
So that's a lie.
Lying is a sin..
On your knees and pray forgiveness for lying.

*well you believe in other complete fantasy stuff, why not belive you can see a BIG improvement.
But John he'll look BEAUTIFUL sliding slideways right off the road on 195-60-14 ¢h3@p chinese tires.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:52 AM   #21
Jack
Banned

Quote:
But John he'll look BEAUTIFUL sliding slideways right off the road.

because of the Chinese tires of wider rear ?
Old 01-22-2017, 03:12 AM   #22
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
because of the Chinese tires of wider rear ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:26 AM   #23
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

Quote:
But John he'll look BEAUTIFUL sliding slideways right off the road on 195-60-14 ¢h3@p chinese tires.
Pretty sure I called this already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDVLN View Post
The tyres already blew out and you careened off the freeway into a michael-bay esque explosion. You're already dead, this is Purgatory.
The race team/spacers comment I'll leave alone, seen some things first hand bla bla sloppy.

First day being Pink...
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:26 AM   #24
Jack
Banned

Quote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
BLOBO 4 LIVE - buy cheap, spend rent money, crush
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #25
chris gilmour
Board Member

Sooooo while everyone here bitches and speculates on therotic out comes. I'll chime in with first hand experience. I picked up these Benz wheels, and being a machinist I whipped up some adapters. They're 1" (25.4mm) thick. Since putting them on the car handles the exact same. The car is lowered in the front and on 195/75/14 winters and the tires don't ever run the fenders not even full lock turning on pot holes roads.

Yes it may put a little more strain on your wheel bearings. But when speaking about leverage, 1" isn't much.... If you need some extra leverage on a wrench, do you pick up a 1" long power par.....

What I've learned from this site is most the folks here think Volvo engineers are the almighty gods and you must never modify your car passed what they designed.

Anyways here's my death trap I can hardly steer it! It's always flying off the road and the steering wheel is so twitchy it's like driving a meth addict /sarcasm

chris gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote