• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Front end knock in 940 & driver side strut is stiff

niquemarshall

Recently my 940 started knocking and clicking when going over bumps and uneven terrain. When applying the brakes, theres a rather loud "klunk" when slowing at low speeds. Its seems to coincide with the front end leaning, so if you pump the brakes, it will occur again and again, like a "ka-klunk"; this seems to be more pronounced in turns than anything. Also noticed when the wheel is turned to the right, the driver side corner is very stiff, as if it were a coilover. The passenger side bounces fine. Driver side will bounce if wheels are straight, but not if wheels are turned. Otherwise the car rides fine; this is an intermittent issue. Any ideas?

Cone bushings replaced in November (ipd blue)
Endlinks replaced in December
Ball joints replaced in 2016

Recently dealt with the same issue. The strut mount bearings were binding. Once I replaced the bearings, the issue has now gone away. The strut mount could also be bad as well. The rubber will separate from the mount. I went ahead and replaced strut mount and bearings on both sides.

These are the parts I used because I had them already from another car.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-strut-mount-740-760-780-940-960-s90-v90

Recently dealt with the same issue. The strut mount bearings were binding. Once I replaced the bearings, the issue has now gone away. The strut mount could also be bad as well. The rubber will separate from the mount. I went ahead and replaced strut mount and bearings on both sides.

These are the parts I used because I had them already from another car.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-suspension-strut-mount-740-760-780-940-960-s90-v90
Any tips on replacement? Or pretty easy

Find out what the actual problem is. May be a strut mount bearing, may be a ball joint - and take it from someone who had one fail while driving a 940 you DO NOT want that to happen.

If you want to fix stuff yourself at least get a proper diagnosis first. The ball joint is a cheap repair for most shops to do, the bearing shouldn't be too bad either.

Find out what the actual problem is. May be a strut mount bearing, may be a ball joint - and take it from someone who had one fail while driving a 940 you DO NOT want that to happen.

If you want to fix stuff yourself at least get a proper diagnosis first. The ball joint is a cheap repair for most shops to do, the bearing shouldn't be too bad either.

Yeah I dont think it's the ball joint because those made different noises and showed different symptoms when they went bad. That's why they were replaced in 2016

changed out the ball joint and strut bearing, no change. gonna try strut mounts and maybe struts next? seem ls much more pronounced when applying brake during a turn and letting off the brakes when the wheel is turned right only.

My 1991 740 clunks. I had it in the air and didn't detect any blown bushings, but it was just a quick glance. 220k car. Prob needs everything.

I would start with racking the car in the air and inspect everything. Prybar can help reveal blown parts.

Have a friend turn the wheel while on the ground and see if you can crawl under and find anything.

Did the steering loosen up? When my strut mount bearings were bad, they would bind up frequently.

Last edited:
I put URO strut mounts on my last 740. I slammed the gland nut on with my 1/2" impact. After that, my car would sometime pull to the side after a turn. I don't know if I damaged the parts or if they were junk to start with.

What's the good stuff right now for mounts?

I put URO strut mounts on my last 740. I slammed the gland nut on with my 1/2" impact. After that, my car would sometime pull to the side after a turn. I don't know if I damaged the parts or if they were junk to start with.

What's the good stuff right now for mounts?
I'm not sure but I was told that real friends dont let friends buy URO parts

going to check the brakes and hardware. I noticed it clunks when you let off the brakes too when accelerating from a red light

also when rolling on a road with imperfections you can vaguely hear a muffled scuffing noise. its apparent that the strut isnt compressing from what I can tell. I want go swap them out as well but I wanna try mounts first as the car does clunk when turning wheel at low speeds

Back