• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bergen's RSI 500whp 8v 245 Wagon

That's is F@#king amazing, I love it! If only I had the time and money!
I'd kill to see everyone's face's who have ever made fun of me for being a Volvo fan when I role up to the line in that thing....... that's pure inspiration and a major example of how much all our hobbies here on Turbobrick's are not a joke!

What paint was used for the calipers and sway bar?
For a lot of the small stuff like you are asking about I have the local automotive paint supply store put standard single stage automotive paint into a spray can. You have to buy the pint of paint, the aerosol cans and have them put it in the cans for you. So minimum is about 6 cans. Usually costs around $80 for 6 cans depending on color

It's about 80% as shiny as shooting it out of a gun, but it's a lot easier and handier when doing a project like this.

It's a custom pearl white. Usually you see blue pearl, or some variation of that. I went with a silver pearl to make it truly white and TO MAKE PAT'S LIFE HELL.
Fixed. :-P :lol:

mate, your car is ****ing shiit hot. Looks amazing. Youd be one of the only jokers pushing that close to five hundred hp from the 'ol eight valve, 'round here ay?

Pure sex.

For a lot of the small stuff like you are asking about I have the local automotive paint supply store put standard single stage automotive paint into a spray can. You have to buy the pint of paint, the aerosol cans and have them put it in the cans for you. So minimum is about 6 cans. Usually costs around $80 for 6 cans depending on color

It's about 80% as shiny as shooting it out of a gun, but it's a lot easier and handier when doing a project like this.

Hmmm good to know. How do you think hold up will be to oil, dirt and heat?

Hmmm good to know. How do you think hold up will be to oil, dirt and heat?
It holds up really well actually. My orange 242 still looks decent. I took really good care of it while I had it, but it's last owner really neglected it for about 5 years.

Orange 242 now after a quick pressure wash:

orange242bc010.jpg

How effective is that hood scoop at removing excess turbo heat?

I haven't done any tests to know for sure, but heat pours out of it in a way that is visible. Moreover, my cold side charge IAT reads in the high 80's low 90's at full boost on hot days. That speaks for the intercooler more than anything but it's good enough for me.
The turbo really needs a heat blanket/heat shield more than anything.

Is that scoop made in house or is that something that you guys picked up online somewhere? If it's the first, do you guys have any photos of it pre-install?

Bergen bought and installed the scoop originally.
I had to paint the hood so I cleaned up the install, lightened and painted the hood.

I added the hood scoop install pictures to post #3. :)
And Pat's engine bay paint job.

Wow, truly beautiful!

do you have a ballpark figure on how much $$$ you've dropped on this car so far?

I have had several PM's asking me the same question. I will post up what I've said. :)

Even with all the help I had, and time that I put into the project it was VERY expensive. Much of a build like this requires special tooling and a proper build environment to do it in.
I don't want to put a dollar figure on it because it could be depressing for anyone desiring a car like this haha. What I would say is plan on loosing a year of weekends and many, many long nights to the project. Then make a list of every little detail you can think of that the car will need, parts, paint, tires, wheels ect. Once you have that budget, assuming this is one of your first builds, triple the dollar number you come up with. No, I'm not exaggerating. It will, in the end cost very close to that number despite how tight you think your budget is.

I could do it again for cheaper because I like to think I have learned from my mistakes, and soooo much of the project that was actually r&d but it is now off the shelf sweetness(On sale now at RSI!) it would be easier to do again for less.

Any way you slice it, I love the end result. It drives like a new car... An insanely fast new car; it sounds amazing, handles like a dream, and I can't put a dollar figure behind the experiences I had with this car from April 2003 to where it is now.

Back