• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Beating a dead horse, more PVR questions

nel621

Trying to find out if this scenario was true. Back in the 80s when Volvo customers were complaining about their V6 cars needing early cam replacement I'm told Volvo issued a TSB (technical service bulletin) on how to "repair" this issue. This was told to me by two different long term Volvo technicians from two different Dealerships. The bulletin described installing some type of "splash shield" in the heads such that more oil would remain and splash around the cams and rockers. I have never found this bulletin and not sure of what I was told indeed was true. One of these technicians also raced Volvos and suggested he would on occasion just drill the oil holes in the cams a bit larger to help oil flow. This he would do to customers' cars that he repaired at his home. So is this TSB fact or fiction? If fact, does anyone have a copy and what was this "splash shield" that was mentioned?
Thanks
If this has been covered else where please post a link :)

Being a tech at a dealer until 1988 ,I never knew of one. There might have been one on drilling holes in the firewall for the cam removal which was the way I did it.

I too have been told by Volvo mechanics a long time ago to drill out the oil passages on the PRV engines heads to make the cam have better lubrication. There is a service bulletin for the four cylinder engines where they advise drilling out the oil supply hole in the head to 14mm to help prevent lubrication problems. It's in the section on how to repair the cylinder head from a seized cam and scored bearing surfaces.

Using an oil splash shield was an aftermarket fix for better cam lubrication for my old 76 VW rabbit. It would keep the oil splash down and keep more oil around the cam. I believe many car makers adopted that method.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the later B280 heads had a sort of 'dam' or splash shield cast into the head vs. the B27. I have a set of B280 heads around here somewhere.

All the even-firing engines had a shape cast in the head that would make for a puddle of oil for cam lobes to dip into. Volvo offered the aluminum alloy + fancy metal pad rocker arms in ‘89 or so that were the end of cam issues IF the owner maintained his junk and used synthetic oil. I used them in the rally car. Good luck finding those rocker arms today. Modern synthetic lubricants are the answer for keeping our old junk happy and healthy.

I have never seen any ‘shield’ installed in one that could help with lubrication or anything else.

Back