• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Dirt Cheap Cars

gotboost

contributor
Thought this might be a fun idea. Lets see who has scored the best car for the cheapest. I got this idea because of a ride I scored the other day. Not a volvo, but a cool car still. It's an 86 Peugeot 505 sti 5-speed that is in awesome shape and loaded to the brim with every option available that year. Paid $200 for it. The guy who sold it to me knew nothing about cars...and even less about Peugeots. Thought the clutch was bad. Didn't know that the clutch fluid and brake fluid are in the same reservoir on a 505. I popped it into first. Started it in gear and drove it home. You should have seen the look on the guy's face as I drove away. Got it home and bled the lines and added fluid. Car drives perfect now.

Another good score: 1987 Volvo 740 turbo w/ perfect black leather...Free. College girl said it wouldn't start. Turns out the battery was bad. She kept trying to jump it, but never waited long enough to try and start it and kept flooding it out. I showed up to give her $250 for it (which is what she had it on CL for), and she told me I could just have it for free! Towed it home, put a battery in it, and it fired right off. The car was perfect except for a dead battery! Anyways, what have you guys scored for little or nothing. Cars aquired from family or friends don't count!!!

My '89 745T was acquired from a fellow T-bricker for the sum of $350. Aside from some custom bodywork on the passenger side (read: sideswiped), it runs & drives great.

I got a '64 544 for the cost of a tow ($75.) It was a little too far gone for my skills back then, but I did sit in it and make 'Vroom-vroom' noises. Sold it for $300, so I made out on the deal.

i got my 1995 940 parts car (crashed, air bags + restraints had gone off) for ~100$. It had a good M90, good B230FK, all the computers in need for the turbo swap, nearly new turbo+brake discs+fuel pump and countless small parts that i managed to sell off.

I got my '89 244 five speed for $400. Needed plugs, wires and rotor and cap and it drives fine. The driver seat has some serious wear though....

1976 BMW 2002 for $500.

Needed a cat to pass smog. 99% rust free, manual trans, and mint interior. New michelins, braking system, and Billy HDs.

1976 BMW 2002 for $500.

Needed a cat to pass smog. 99% rust free, manual trans, and mint interior. New michelins, braking system, and Billy HDs.

I hate you!

My 740 cost $350....needed a tuneup...and thats it. Has 280k...but still ran strong...lasted a season drifting...lol

$350 1991 745SE with a BHG.

$1,000 1989 740T with Bilstein HD shocks, TME springs, iPd sway bars, Borbet Type E 17x8, 5-speed

$900 1991 740SE with perfect cloth interior.

$500 1991 740T with perfect interior.

Result: 1991 740T with Bilstein HD shocks, TME springs, iPd sway bars, SE bodykit/trunk deck spoiler, Borbet Wheels and perfect gray interior.

Got my 764TiC for 500 (canadian) dollars about a year and a half ago, drove 35000 kms on it the first 8 months and put less than 1000 bucks over time, mostly on brake parts (they're crazy on calcium here and the Girling brackets are waffle-thin, I go through a pair in a winter)... Overall the car is mint, dude thought it would never run again, but he had somehow disconnected the power stage, so I just drove it away laughing after a few minutes fiddling in the engine bay. Every single option works, I love the aluminium hood and it handles like a sports car (despite sagging Nivos).
And then my 945 for another 500. Didn't have the chance to drive it much, but it seems to be doing okay so far. It badly needs a tune up though, hope "the usual" will do the job... May end up as a parts car. Either way, I'm teh winn4r.

Bought a very clean non-running 144 back in the day for $25 + $35 in P.O.'s towing fees. Turned out to be a funky fuse connector under the hood, five minutes and she fired right up and drove home.

Current 945t bought for $800... :)

*my 81 242DLt was $700, full records back to 1992, resold for $1300 to a restorer
*bought seans 82 starlet for $600 resold it for $700 (after putting $200 into it :-/ ) and the seats that came with it for $400 :nod: :-)sigh: I really wanted those seats, but rent money prevailed...)
*just bought an 82 datsun 280zxT with fresh shocks,brakes, exhaust, and metalic blue paint for $700 (my fiance and I split the cost, so it was acually $350)
My black car was $400 non-running because the timing was off, bad gaskets, etc.
thats it for me...

$900 + 3500 or so
:)
dscn1161xo8.jpg

dscn1170zn6.jpg

dscn1178dp8.jpg

i bought a 95 merc, tracer for $400...i drove the sh1t out of it and it would never quit, got 45mpg, and descently zippy. totalled it on my 2nd dui

my 240 i paid $600 for. it runs like a champ. but i dont drive it that much because the 850 is waaaay smoother.

1970 164 - I traded him a case of cold beer (this was in 1995-ish).

I changed the oil, gapped the plugs, and sold it for about $400.00. I loved my university days.

i got my 1986 mercury grand marquis for $5, i was told it needed a motor... had plans to drop a motor in even but $30 worth of tune up parts fixed the misfiring :rofl: drove the hell out of that car, dead reliable, never quit.

Back