• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting to E85 (ethanol fuel)

How about a P2 Volvo?

Hi there! I was excited to find this discussion as there is finally a fuel station where I live that sells various ethanol blends and biofuels. I have a 2002 V70XC (B5244T engine) that I'm wondering if I can find a way to run ethanol blends on. I can get a few blends between E10 and E85 at this gas station. Can I run something like E20 or E40 with just higher flow rate injectors? I have access to a 1998 V70 T5 parts car that I can pull injectors from. From what I can tell, the T5 uses the Bosch 0280155830 injectors, and my XC uses the Bosch 0280155831 injectors. Is there any difference other than the -5830 injectors have 10-15% higher flow rate compared to the -5831 (~350cc/min vs ~315cc/min at 3 bar)? If I could get the XC running on just E40, it would be about $7 cheaper per tank when compared to filling up with the questionable quality 91 octane we have around here. When it comes to messing with fuel systems, I'm used to diesels, the ethanol land is new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

-Nick

Hi there! I was excited to find this discussion as there is finally a fuel station where I live that sells various ethanol blends and biofuels. I have a 2002 V70XC (B5244T engine) that I'm wondering if I can find a way to run ethanol blends on. I can get a few blends between E10 and E85 at this gas station. Can I run something like E20 or E40 with just higher flow rate injectors? I have access to a 1998 V70 T5 parts car that I can pull injectors from. From what I can tell, the T5 uses the Bosch 0280155830 injectors, and my XC uses the Bosch 0280155831 injectors. Is there any difference other than the -5830 injectors have 10-15% higher flow rate compared to the -5831 (~350cc/min vs ~315cc/min at 3 bar)? If I could get the XC running on just E40, it would be about $7 cheaper per tank when compared to filling up with the questionable quality 91 octane we have around here. When it comes to messing with fuel systems, I'm used to diesels, the ethanol land is new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

-Nick
Decide on a blend percentage to run. Then we can decide on which injectors that are suitable.

For a blend of up to around 25% you do not need bigger injectors unless it is chipped. It is of course different from car to car, but in general it usually works. The car is pretty smart and will adjust the mixture accordingly if it is within the adaptation limits of the ECU (and 25% is).

V70 on ethanol?

Decide on a blend percentage to run. Then we can decide on which injectors that are suitable.

For a blend of up to around 25% you do not need bigger injectors unless it is chipped. It is of course different from car to car, but in general it usually works. The car is pretty smart and will adjust the mixture accordingly if it is within the adaptation limits of the ECU (and 25% is).

How about E30? Its readily available, and if I need regular E10 gasoline, it shouldn't really be a problem, right? This car hasn't been chipped, I have the stock ECU. The only change made to anything related to the engine is that the stock air filter was swapped for a K&N. Also, would it be a good idea to pick up an AFR meter from ipd? Thanks!

-Nick

How about E30? Its readily available, and if I need regular E10 gasoline, it shouldn't really be a problem, right? This car hasn't been chipped, I have the stock ECU. The only change made to anything related to the engine is that the stock air filter was swapped for a K&N. Also, would it be a good idea to pick up an AFR meter from ipd? Thanks!

-Nick

Put the injectors in that can flow a little bit more. Then you can run on both gasoline and a blend of up to 1/3 of E85.

In theory you could run more than 1/3 of E85, but I do not recommend it unless you have some experience with what works, how the exhaust gas temperature and AFR's look etc.

Fred,
I have ordered the 50# injectors you suggested - just waiting to get them now.

I also have the possibility of picking up a used one of your lh2.4 chips . Would you recommend using it for e85 conversion? or do you have one specifically for e85? My car is a 90 780 with lh2.4 and also original factory installed turbo +. If I get the used chip I wont get the ezk chip. I haven't taken a look at my ecu yet to check numbers but if I understand correctly almost all lh2.4 are chippable - is that correct?

Fred,
I have ordered the 50# injectors you suggested - just waiting to get them now.

I also have the possibility of picking up a used one of your lh2.4 chips . Would you recommend using it for e85 conversion? or do you have one specifically for e85? My car is a 90 780 with lh2.4 and also original factory installed turbo +. If I get the used chip I wont get the ezk chip. I haven't taken a look at my ecu yet to check numbers but if I understand correctly almost all lh2.4 are chippable - is that correct?
Yes, all turbo LH2.4 ECU's are chippable.

No special chip for E85 (yet). When the special chip for E85 comes, it will not be for the fuel ECU but for the EZK.

You need to have the right ECU though so make sure that you have the same ECU number that the chip is made for.

And you should definitely use the EZK chip as well or you will be missing out on something, I can promise you that.

Theoretically, if I were to order four of these (42lb/hr injectors):

http://www.racetronix.com/621031.html

for my LH2.2 car, I could run E85 with no further modification?

Also, would it be logical to have a switch with the resistors attached (following the "Installing new injectors on LH2.2 on the 1st post) on one position and a direct wire on the other, which could flip between E85 and gas?

Last edited:
Theoretically, if I were to order four of these (42lb/hr injectors):

http://www.racetronix.com/621031.html

for my LH2.2 car, I could run E85 with no further modification?

Also, would it be logical to have a switch with the resistors attached (following the "Installing new injectors on LH2.2 on the 1st post) on one position and a direct wire on the other, which could flip between E85 and gas?
Yes to both questions.

You may have to adjust timing depending on which fuel you run though.

And these injectors would suit your car better: http://www.racetronix.com/17113813.html

The spray on the ones you mentioned are not really suitable for a head like that.

Yes to both questions.

You may have to adjust timing depending on which fuel you run though.

And these injectors would suit your car better: http://www.racetronix.com/17113813.html

The spray on the ones you mentioned are not really suitable for a head like that.

Cool, thanks! I almost forgot about the timing. The primary reason for the switch would be if I'm driving somewhere that doesn't have E85 available (there's plenty available around the city here, but once you get a ways out it's impossible to find), in which case I could refuel/retime to gas before leaving.

Thanks for the tip on the injectors, I'm not yet too familiar with spray patterns and such :doh:

ignition

How much can i pull the timing for 105 octane? Which is the estimated value, adv. 3, 6 or 9?? Now i'm running 3? 18&19 on ground. It 's fine, i haven't got KnockSense yet... but i want to pull it for the best efficiency. What do they think? (cpr ratio 8,7 boost 16psi)

Last edited:
The true behind the corrosion problems

The ethanol in any form(E10, E15, E85, E100, etc.) will destroy the fuel lines y corrode other component ONLY if is denaturalized (sorry if the word is wrong) with acetone or methyl ethyl ketone. Theorically the "modern" ethanol denatured/denaturalized with gasoline avoiding the corrosion problem. Also here exist a list of ethanol-resistant materials, and the general rule is if the fuel lines (and another parts) supports a month without trouble, don't gonna be problems for a while.

Last edited:
The ethanol in any form(E10, E15, E85, E100, etc.) will destroy the fuel lines y corrode other component ONLY if is denaturalized (sorry if the word is wrong) with acetone or methyl ethyl ketone. Theorically the "modern" ethanol denatured/denaturalized with gasoline avoiding the corrosion problem. Also here exist a list of ethanol-resistant materials, and the general rule is if the fuel lines (and another parts) supports a month without trouble, don't gonna be probles for a while.
No Volvo since the late 70's have fuel lines that will be corroded from ethanol use.

Digital Piggy Back on an S80 T6

I've been running my 2000 S80 T6 with a "Full Flex" Digital piggy back converter for about a year now and am having good luck with it.

If I baby the car I get about 20mpg but and when I hit it I really notice the extra boost.

I've done no other mods to my car just plunged in the unit and filled er up..

I can run either gas or E85 or any mixture of the two and the car still performs well with no check engine light.:nod:

Yes, that can be done if the car is bone stock and if the extra overhead is present in terms of fuel flow.

Then it works great.

Hi Fredrik, I have a Mercedes Benz with KE-jetronic(CIS-E) fuel injection.
I want to test out E85 on this, my biggest problem is to get the E85, nearest gas station with this is 2 hours from here.
But my plans is to adjust the fuel pressure up a bit(yes I have an adjustable FPR originally on my car), and adjust the rest on the mixture adjustment screw, so I can get it to run ok on E85, then the lambda-sensor will adjust the mixture correctely on idle, but a bit lean on higher loads, wich will suit me well since I`m not going for it for the power, but curiosity and economy(the fuel price for 95 octane RON is now 13,47 NOK here).
I have now disconnected the EHA(Electro-Hydraulic-Actuator, Wich controls the control pressure) and adjusted the fuel mixture leaner, 1,120 Lambda to get the consumption down, it works but I have harder coldstarts and lost the fuel-cut(the car starts easy but stops again because of the cold start injector).

If i did this adjustment(the pressure to get bettere atomizing and not adjust the mixture adjustment to much), do you think it would work OK, I want the EHA to be connected.

Another problem is the ignition, its adjustable with a knob with inbuilt resistors, but its no more possibilities to advance it more there.
It have a CPS(Crankshaft Position Sensor) like B230F(T) with LH 2.4, so I cant just turn the Distrubitor, only thing I can see is to move the CPS(could try 10 degres on the crankshaft), but this would require machining.
You dont know a way to fool the ignition module to give signal 10* earlier, only way I can se is moving the CPS or use an older ignition system with sensor`s in the distrubitor.

BTW the CPS hav only one signal per revolution.

Do you think the fuel distrubitor(Bensinmengdefordeleren/m?ngdm?taren) will bear this, since it is KE-jetronic I don`t have the control pressure regulator.

I hope you can come with any opinions and tips about this, if I`m wrong or anything.

If anyone is interested the car is a `90 Mercedes Benz 230 E

I don't really know anything about that system, but if you can get the fuel pressure high enough to supply a sufficient amount of fuel it will probably work ok.

I am sorry that I can't help you with the ignition.

I did`nt think You could either, but does`nt hurt to ask, this is actually the best info I could find about E85-convertion on the internet.

Back