• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My latest redblock geekout

ryanfay

more bounce to the ounce
Hi fellow greasy volvo dorks

I picked up a 1983 volvo 242 tic some months ago that badly needed some motolove.
The low comp motor with k jet was not what I had in mind. After numerous attempts, road blocks, and no gos, I ended up with this setup: b21 with these

forged Mahle flat top pistons for a b20 big bore kit
piston-box.jpg
M rods with a 22 mm small end. Big end narrowed to fit the b21 crank. Axial clearance set at .011" Work done by Gene Batteux, Batteux Racing
rod.jpg
Rebushed by Wade Hubbard, Hubbard Machine
bushing.jpg
Block bored to 93mm also by Wade.
block.jpg
crankshaft cut .010"-.010" under
crank.jpg

Im still waiting on the rod bearings. When I get them, I'll get back with picks of the dummy assembly.

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

Ryan

Last edited:
I like what I see.

What do you plan on running head-wise?

a plain old 530 ported and deshrouded. Nothing special. The goal was a highish comp (turbo motor) ~9.5. So Im not too concerned about cc volume. Just nice and smooth.
Not sure if bigger valves are needed.

I was about to go just in depth with my motor but decided to just keep the bottom end as it was and do some head work. It looks like your doing it the correct way man keep up the good work man!

a plain old 530 ported and deshrouded. Nothing special. The goal was a highish comp (turbo motor) ~9.5. So Im not too concerned about cc volume. Just nice and smooth.
Not sure if bigger valves are needed.

Ahhhh, I assumed NA for some reason. Nice, very nice. I love turbo motors with decent compression!

The cam is one thing that remains an uncertainty. Do I want slimmer profile and go for low end response? Or fatter cam and more mid range? There are more variables to consider, but the cam is biggest. The fatter cam would likely be the better option as it would allow slightly greater boost...

For all around driveability I'm gonna guesstimate that a mildish cam like an A or B with big valves would be a good compromise...

That it would. A little experimentation is required to find the proper setup tho.
I will likely end up changing the cam, turbo, components within the turbo, head etc a couple of times until I find a combo that I like.

Since everyone loves pictures...
squirter-holes.jpg
Squirter holes drilled.
Thanks John V. Your kit rules :party:
side-block.jpg
Block all clean and 3/4" pipe tapped for oil return.

That it would. A little experimentation is required to find the proper setup tho.
I will likely end up changing the cam, turbo, components within the turbo, head etc a couple of times until I find a combo that I like.

FWIW, I'm running ~10.7:1 / K-cam / .60 trim T3 in my B23F+T. It has what I call a 'supernaturally aspirated' power curve; the cam and boost both come on around 3K RPM, similar to the NA mode, but the power curve is much steeper now.

FWIW, I'm running ~10.7:1 / K-cam / .60 trim T3 in my B23F+T. It has what I call a 'supernaturally aspirated' power curve; the cam and boost both come on around 3K RPM, similar to the NA mode, but the power curve is much steeper now.

What your boost? fuel? Control systems? How did you achieve ~10.7? Did you shave head, block, both? If you dont mind me asking?

What your boost? fuel? Control systems? How did you achieve ~10.7? Did you shave head, block, both? If you dont mind me asking?

I'm running 10PSI right now. I had it up as high as 14, but one pull sounded like incipient detonation, so I backed it down for now.

It's a very simple +T setup - I used the Bosch LH 2.1 ECU (#507) from a '84 760T which is plug 'n play compatible with my LH2.0 setup. Added Ford Browntop injectors. I kept the stock Chrysler ignition box. The compression increase was from a Cometic gasket (0.027" vs. stock 0.049"), which took my 10.3 up to ~10.7. A T3 .60 trim compressor and 0.63A/R turbine housing with the ATP Ultimate Wastegate add power up top and flow well. I already had the K-cam installed.

Since this is just for fun, I wanted to keep things cheap but effective. Tight squish increases detontation resistance and lets you run boost. Higher compression gives you better off-boost response, and can let you run a wilder cam more effectively. A wilder cam will tend to come in a higher RPM. Making power over 3K RPM helps the NA pistons and M46 live longer. I sized the turbo compressor to come on with the cam for a synergistc effect. I sized the turbine to flow effectively at higher RPM. I put a TurboXS RFL BOV on for entertainment purposes only.

Back