• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Killing Fuel Pumps

volvoboy90

sanna kärlek är svensk
Greetings all,

1989 volvo 240 +t lh 2.4 12 psi

So it would seem I am murdering fuel pumps. 2 times now, and the health of the third seems to be rapidly declining. Stock fuel system pretty much, lift pump is operational. I don't know what it is, but I had a new oe bosch die within six months. I'll explain in more detail when I have access to a laptop. Till then, shoot me your thoughts people.

Did you replace the fuel filter (main under car) when doing fuel pump? Have you done flow tests to make sure there is not a restriction in the line? Are you maybe getting bad gas from someplace that is causing the pump to clog? Is there sign of stuff in the new strainer for the new pump? Are you installing it correctly or maybe pushing the pump to low in the assembly and causing it to be to low and not draw enough fuel that it burns up?

Why not use a drop in pump from say autozone with a lifetime warranty ? I know the E2366 is now no longer useable but I am working on getting another part number for use.

Pictures of any of the fuel pump installs?

There is a lot you can do wrong on a fuel pump install.

Well the last one failed after a 45 minute drive, worked fine until I shut off the car and it wouldn't start again, bypassed fuses, checked that my relay was working properly, etc. I pulled the pump out and put in another one which worked like a charm... At first. I've noticed I've been getting a kink in the hard line after the filter. On that note, I replaced the filter a few weeks ago when I had to replace my new unit which was making a lot of noise. I'm only reusing the original setup, so I would presume it can't be too low. Bad gas I suppose is a possibility, but I wouldn't think so, I stay away from small cheap shops that might have bad gas.

Pull the return line off the fp regulator and see if fuel comes out. My pump made a lot of noise when I bought my car and I just thought it was a noisy pump. Come to find out the regulator was plugged and pump was building over 100psi but It ran perfectly. Pump died shortly after replacing the regulator.

I've been running a Chevy S-10 intank pump in combination with good used main pump for the past several years. The S-10 pump is for the 4.3L with the wierd spider type low pressure fuel injection.

I'll check the regulator, I believe it should be fine, the kink in the line concerns me but I don't know if I can really do anything about it. The intank pump is working, I could hear it working when the main was dead, and I just put the intank pump two years ago.

Course you can, go to PnP and get a line. It's not much of an issue. HOW kinked is it? I actually just pulled what you need last weekend. I have it at the house. The main fuel line with the banjo end from the filter to the rail? Send me a few bucks, or swap me a passenger side 78 mirror for my 245...

Yes I would take care of that kink first, thought you already did. I just cut the hard lines off all the fittings and ran rubber fuel line. Everything was setup before I found the regulator stuck closed at over 100psi so I know there are no leakage issues now that it's running at 45psi.

While you're in there a $20 gauge up by the rail isn't a bad idea sine the port on the rail is so hard to get to. I probably would have gone through a few pumps as well if I never did that. You can imagine my surprise when I finally got it all hooked up and the gauge was pegged out.
2014-11-03%2014.16.21.jpg

Is the pump bracket still in place or are the filter/pump just flopping around on the tray? The line shouldn't be kinking...

The kink is still sort of there, the filter and pump bracket are complete, it's just kinked from replacing the pump and filter, and torqueing it the wrong way. As far as replacing it, the problem is also the line and my rail are inseparable,having broken flare wrenches trying to separate the two.

Thing is I don't think any of the local shops have fuel line for that high of pressure, or where I would source a barb fitting so I could ensure it would never leak. The new pump is officially making noise.

Any AutoZone or whatever should have high pressure fuel line, preferably NAPA. Use the original barbs with band clamps, you don't even have to break them loose just cut the hard lines off. Like I said I did the same when my system was at over 100psi with no leaks. Some people will say this isn't the way to go but I have had no issues since October. Make sure it's braided and says fuel injection, they gave me low pressure when I asked for high. Not a lot of intelligence behind most of those counters but the parts are there. If you add the gauge in that's an easy way to verify no leaks.

Last edited:
Back