• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 16 valve car will sing you a song

Marvelous3

Who engineered this?
So yeah...

https://www.facebook.com/themattmiller/videos/10109968056516680/?t=5

Things I have checked:
I have disconnected each of the vacuum lines going into the intake one at a time. Still sings.
I pulled out the IAC valve and inspected it and the hoses for it and they all look fine.
Disconnected vac line on the FPR. Still sings.
Sprayed maf cleaner on the injectors with it running with no change in idle.
The car runs a catch can that is connected to the black box for the PCV. I have cleaned out the catch can. Ran the car with the catch can completely off. Sings. Ran with the catch can reattached. Sings.
Removed the AC/Powersteering/Alternator belts. Still sings.

The sound is coming from the area around intake runner 1/idler pulley/DSM CAS. If I go drive it and give it throttle the sound is less/goes away. As soon as I get to a stop light or let the car coast down the road it sings. I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone run into this before? Wtf brah?

Sprayed maf cleaner on the injectors with it running with no change in idle.
i imagine that'd tell you it's a contact squeal rather than an air leak.
try putting some already-foamy soapy water in the area? that would hopefully blow bubbles wherever it lands if it's air-related

LOL that sounds exactly like mine. What'd you do, replace the throttle body gasket and it went away?

Yes, new gasket and it was fine. Once you find it just make sure the flanges are flat and there is no old bit of gasket or something in there.

Mine was a new 960 TB gasket that was taped onto the manifold with masking tape for shipping, the tape peeled off a tiny layer of the gasket and made it leak there. It was an early NIW manifold, and the TB flange also had a low spot from a roloc wheel or something, so I filed that out too.

i imagine that'd tell you it's a contact squeal rather than an air leak.
try putting some already-foamy soapy water in the area? that would hopefully blow bubbles wherever it lands if it's air-related

it'd suck soap at idle, probably be difficult to tell.

I ordered a new throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket in addition to the valve cover gasket I've been needing to fix anyways. Should be here in a few days and we'll see if that fixes it.

I'm waiting for the gasket to show up from Tasca. It's supposed to be here tomorrow so hopefully that fixes things.

If you ever get tired of throwing parts at vacuum leaks, you can make yourself a smoke machine pretty simply/cheaply. Just hook it up to the intake system and see where the smoke comes out. I would recommend getting real automotive smoke machine liquid so you don't hurt the o2 sensor, however.

Will that stank smoke hurt an O2 sensor in the minute or two it is in exhaust?

I know for sure that the smoke used on the intake side won't! Lol

I have a smoke machine and can attest to it's usefulness in finding PITA pinhole leaks quickly. I just wish that it could apply more pressure to find leaks that don't show themselves before 20+ PSI. Tiny leak grows to a big one at 20psi

Will that stank smoke hurt an O2 sensor in the minute or two it is in exhaust?

I know for sure that the smoke used on the intake side won't! Lol

I have a smoke machine and can attest to it's usefulness in finding PITA pinhole leaks quickly. I just wish that it could apply more pressure to find leaks that don't show themselves before 20+ PSI. Tiny leak grows to a big one at 20psi
It's theoretically possible. The real stuff is pretty cheap so I tend to use it.

Some follow up here now that I’ve got it fixed.

First thing was that the existing throttle body gasket was just some Grey rvt which had worn itself away. So I put in a Volvo gasket. This quieted it down some but it still whistled.

The other was that some of my intake manifold bolts weren’t as tight as they could have been. Tightened them up and the noise is gone.

Some follow up here now that I?ve got it fixed.

First thing was that the existing throttle body gasket was just some Grey rvt which had worn itself away. So I put in a Volvo gasket. This quieted it down some but it still whistled.

The other was that some of my intake manifold bolts weren?t as tight as they could have been. Tightened them up and the noise is gone.

don't hate on the instagasket.

Back