• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

262c front speaker options

ogamer777

New North Winchestersonville (PNW 425 gang)
Any 262c bertone guys with OG door cards, what front speakers did you go with? There's like, maybe, 1.5 inches of clearance to the window.

remember that the speaker goes behind the built in speaker grate in the door card so the speaker has got to be pretty shallow

Last edited:
For my first Bertone way back when I was able to find very thin speakers from Crutchfield. Don't remember the brand. In this red Bertone , made for the president of Volvo, you can see they went with a more surface mounted speaker.
woodtrimshroterforspeakers_zps629a23a3.jpg

I haven't looked into what speakers are currently available. My coupes still have the OE speakers.

Crutchfield did, indeed, have thin speakers that fit under the OEM grill. The Bertones are getting scarce enough that I would never consider anything other than the OEM grills

I would look for 2 component speakers. I think they would be thinner and you can hide the tweeters in the 2 corner ac vents. That is what my cousin did although he had a 242T. Then get a set of these for the rear.
VolvoMuseumandVROM048_zps1e4fdd5c.jpg

I fit 6X9" speakers in the rear deck with a good head unit and amp that sounded real nice decades ago. Seems like the Bertone came with raised speaker boxes back there.

Just measure carefully. You can use a speaker just a little deeper than stock, maybe 3/4 inch. Unlike other 200 series Volvos the coupe speakers mount directly to the door frame instead of the panel. Raise your window, get a ruler and see how far back into the door you can go.

There were very few options you could order for the Bertone. I think most had to do with the stereo system, different types of radios and of course rear speakers., usually the box type like in my photo above. Although the ones in the pic I think are of a later type. The box speakers in my coupe are different.

I have Bertone door cards in my V8 2 door wagon. I got speakers from Retro Sound I think due to the limited depth of the door card to door chassis [ 1.5"]. I did not want to cut into the wood panel. They fit and work well.

Back