• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Daily Driver

may I be slightly impolite and ask how much it cost all said and done? Approx numbers fine of course just trying to get a sense of the investment required.

Not impolite at all, the price is listed on their web shop. I didn't buy the complete kit, omitted the adapter plates since I'm making new axle tube ends anyway. Ended up being about $1500 all-in with shipping. The parts showed up less than a week after ordering.

Not impolite at all, the price is listed on their web shop. I didn't buy the complete kit, omitted the adapter plates since I'm making new axle tube ends anyway. Ended up being about $1500 all-in with shipping. The parts showed up less than a week after ordering.

That's not as bad as I thought. Sounds like great customer service too. Think they'd be as accommodating to uncultured English-only speakers?

Alex Buchka said:
tenor.gif

Delicious as usual.

This build is fantastic. Very much the OEM++ style of repowering and improving I enjoy.

That's not as bad as I thought. Sounds like great customer service too. Think they'd be as accommodating to uncultured English-only speakers?

I have no doubt they would. English literacy in very high in Sweden and your money is just as green as mine.

Delicious as usual.

Thanks chief. It's no 5 cylinder but I do what I can.

This build is fantastic. Very much the OEM++ style of repowering and improving I enjoy.

Thanks dude!

Gah-dang.

If I didn't know better I'd say that this is the product of a rocket surgeon.

Thanks! I got out of the rocket surgery game years ago though.

I REALLY want a ride in this. Badly.

Great job you guys

Thanks Doug, you know where to find it. I'm planning on going to the VCOA national meet in SLO this September, should have it much more sorted by then.

It looks very similar to the one in Peggen Anderson's Group A Nordica car.
Dave B

That's definitely the 100% unobtanium 1031 version. I have the slightly more approachable, and arguably worse, 1030 diff housing that was bolted on to various stock 240's in the early 80's.

Been driving it around the last few days, tinkering with the calibration a lot. E-Throttle is awesome and lets you do all kinds of fun stuff. The ITB's flow a lot of air at miniscule throttle angles which makes tip-in driveability and smooth take offs from a stop pretty poor. To solve this I've been dicking around with blending in airflow from the idle valve. BMW actually did this from the factory on the E46 M3 so the idle valve is massively oversized for just idle control. At 5% pedal I have 100% DC on the idle valve but only command 1% on the throttle plate. This makes the engine really smooth on take off and allows for smooth cruising at constant speed. I still have some jerking when transitioning from drive to overrun and vice-versa but I think I can smooth that last little bit with timing adjustments.

BMW actually did this from the factory on the E46 M3 so the idle valve is massively oversized for just idle control. At 5% pedal I have 100% DC on the idle valve but only command 1% on the throttle plate. This makes the engine really smooth on take off and allows for smooth cruising at constant speed.

cool.

Ditched the belt driven power steering pump and installed a cooler and an electro-hydraulic unit from an R53 BMW Mini. Less assist but no more squealing pump and nuked fluid.

Z6Do2vrh.jpg

L4lfd9Mh.jpg

I'm very curious about this steering pump installation.

Is it mounted under the front of the car? Do you happen to have a pic of it showing where it's mounted, not quite so close-up?

I really like the idea of ditching the belt driven pump.
Dave

Don't know what to say or add, I'm very impressed.
Very very nice build guys!
Thanks man!

I'm very curious about this steering pump installation.

Is it mounted under the front of the car? Do you happen to have a pic of it showing where it's mounted, not quite so close-up?

I really like the idea of ditching the belt driven pump.
Dave
I'll get some more shots tonight after work that show the location and bracket more clearly. The level of steering assist is definitely lower than having a belt driven pump but I'm not bothered by it at all.

I appreciate the polymer coated SS hose and use of P clamps.

Judicious use of p-clamps is the only way to go.

Wondering what puts more drag on the motor. Spinning a belt PS pump or supplying the power to spin the Mini pump.

Amps can be increased with a larger alternator and corresponding wiring upgrade.
Spinning another accessory using engine power will always rob more engine power. Even with a larger alternator, since you having less rotating accessories.
Steve

Back