• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone used 3D printing for their mods?

89_740Turbo

I was looking at front lip splitters for my 740 and saw how much they are. Too damn much. Then I thought, I wonder if anyone has 3D printed some.

Has anyone 3d printed anything they have on their ride so far? Did it work?

At just the cost of the filament (assuming fdm) a front lip is way over $14.99.

And yes. There’s a 3D printing thread in OT.

and production parts

Yes, of course but also not really. But also my words always get twisted around.

Consumer level stuff isn't going to produce a production quality item. Least of all at the entry level of FDM. One of the biggest reasons you don't find anyone using 3d printing for production is because to produce anything that you'd really consider a production volume item, you'd be spending a preposterous amount more on resources than if you just had it injection molded or whatever else.

This person is talking about making a front lip. With a consumer grade FDM rapid prototyping machine. On what planet are you all living where you think this will work? The amount of work required to generate any sort of laminar flow over the component out of this machine and you may as well just make it our of wood.

I am NOT a 3D printing hater... but it's important to use the proper method for the desired outcomes. A lip (or any aerodynamic piece) probably isn't ideally done on an entry level machine like this.

Consumer level stuff isn't going to produce a production quality item...

Motominded would beg to differ. They offer parts printed in ABS on a Lulzbot printer (definitely hobby grade).
https://www.motominded.com/pages/about

You can make many functional/production parts on a 3d printer, it all comes down to how it is designed and printed.

We have 5 consumer grade 3d printers at work. They are all tuned and work very well, but you have to know the limitations of each one. Pro grade machines are MUCH nicer, but they also cost 10-20x the price.

Motominded would beg to differ. They offer parts printed in ABS on a Lulzbot printer (definitely hobby grade).
https://www.motominded.com/pages/about

You can make many functional/production parts on a 3d printer, it all comes down to how it is designed and printed.

We have 5 consumer grade 3d printers at work. They are all tuned and work very well, but you have to know the limitations of each one. Pro grade machines are MUCH nicer, but they also cost 10-20x the price.

Yeah at my last private sector company we would print stuff and take it to the SD low speed wind tunnel. It was great to produce something at that quality and using FDM but I mean... the amount of time/effort/money that went in to each component was a hilarious amount versus the pre-production models out of Taiwan.

Moto-minded is doing one off stuff that has more market appeal. But from a cost stand-point you're just not going to produce anything at scale with 3D printers (yet). It's faster cheaper and more environmentally friendly to injection mold or cast or machine even...

There's a reason Airbus etc put out press releases about how they 3D printed this or that and now we can just print these parts on site rather than shipping them everywhere but they still don't. It's just not cost effective.

Anyway... if OP really wanted to try and make a lip I would suggest looking at CNC because you can do larger parts faster. Either make negatives or wrap and extract or whatever... but I think there are just more options at this point.

I printed a TPS adapter for a guy from ABS. I haven't heard anything from him, so I assume it's still fine.

Right... I'm not suggesting that 3D printers don't exist, or that they don't make parts or they don't work. You made a one off part.

OP is asking about 3D printing a splitter.

Right... I'm not suggesting that 3D printers don't exist, or that they don't make parts or they don't work. You made a one off part.

OP is asking about 3D printing a splitter.

Right... I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to OP who literally asked:
Has anyone 3d printed anything they have on their ride so far? Did it work?

But if you want me to respond to you, CNC is definitely not the way to go. Making a billet splitter? That's going to be crazy expensive, and will have to be made in parts.

Right... I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to OP who literally asked:

But if you want me to respond to you, CNC is definitely not the way to go. Making a billet splitter? That's going to be crazy expensive, and will have to be made in parts.

Haha no I was saying in general. CNC doesn't just mean metal you know though... it's just reductive vs. additive. The challenge with the additive is the layer based construction and the effective build volume.

Back