• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

F+T build - What do I do with the flame trap?

studmuffed

Hey all, I just finished my F+T build on my 240 but the stock cold side intercooler pipe only has a port for the idle air controller, not the flame trap. What do most people do with the flame trap?

Route a tube from the breather box to before the compressor but after the AMM. Don't connect it anywhere after the compressor, that will put boost into the crank case.

the stock b230ft setup used a Y fitting, without the flame trap insert that looks like so:
4538d1307497308-1995-volvo-940-flame-trap-question-0607111853.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, thanks guys. I'll try to find that plastic Y connector so I can put it inbetween the AMM and turbo. Will it harm my engine in any way if I leave it disconnected while driving it around some?

some people run the PCV to atmosphere as you describe, permanently. I personally wouldn't, but short term it would be OK. If you have iffy oil seals/leaks I wouldn't at all. It will accelerate those.

At least put a tube attached to the breather box facing down, or everything in the bay will get a nice coat of oil & nasty water, as well. A lot of crap comes out of that breather!

probably not. Alot of people let it vent to the atmosphere, but hooking as said above. But I thought it needed to go before the AMM or could cause a lean condition or mess up ECU trying to tune? I have mine hooked between air filter and the AMM with catch can of couse.

probably not. Alot of people let it vent to the atmosphere, but hooking as said above. But I thought it needed to go before the AMM or could cause a lean condition or mess up ECU trying to tune? I have mine hooked between air filter and the AMM with catch can of couse.

Attaching the pcv pipe before the AMM would cause the oil/water/whatever else the breather doesn't catch to contaminate the hot wire. I think the combustion byproducts are inert so they wont affect the air reading. A low mileage setup would be fine routed as you describe, but a loose 200k +t setup probably wont, haha

I too would recommend a catch can. Mine fills up fast :oogle:

A heads up, catch cans will not pass visual emission checks, I have tried that before. Even improving emissions systems causes a fail, the want no changes to the stock system and PCV suff falls under emissions laws. That really depends on your local testing laws. I registered as an antique so I can do whatever I want, but regular registrations are subject to the local laws.

Do not put it in front of the AMM as esmth said, it should be between that and the turbo.

Venting to the atmosphere does make a mess, and doesn't work as well. The vacuum hose hooked to the plastic elbow thing really helps evacuate the gasses from the crankcase.

Back