• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 juddering in reverse

Fa182

Stage 1
I don't know if this has always been like that and I'm not sure how to properly describe this, but I recently noticed when I am reversing on full lock or close to it, it seems one of the tires is kind of juddering, like if it's losing traction very briefly and "skipping" ahead. I don't know if it's both or only one tire.
No vibration or judder in the steering wheel whatsoever.
I just had inspection a few weeks ago and all related suspension bushings looked to be in very good condition.

I can only guess this is happening due to the toe changing drastically on full lock?
Do I have something to worry about or am I overthinking this?

97 945T.

Probably hitting the sway bar. It does that on my cars. Especially, if you have IPD anti roll bars.

With your car being a turbo it has the largest factory bars.

Last edited:
Ah, that could very well be. I do indeed have IPD bars front and back, mounted them like half a year ago.

when I am reversing on full lock or close to it, it seems one of the tires is kind of juddering, like if it's losing traction very briefly and "skipping" ahead.
Happens to me too, most often on wet roads. Also with some customer's cars when backing out of the shop.

I can only guess this is happening due to the toe changing drastically on full lock?
The Ackerman angle *should* compensate and keep all the wheels turning around a central point, but it doesn't always. RWD cars have a bit of toe-in, but once you start moving forward, the rubber in the suspension bushings allows the slight rearward drag to straighten the front wheels, so they end up running straight. Conversely, FWD cars usually have some toe-OUT, and the *pulling* from the front drive wheels will straighten them out.

Of course, driving in the "wrong" direction will tend to exaggerate the built-in toe-in/out and cause some slippage.

Do I have something to worry about
Yes. You should immediately turn off all the lights, find a dark corner, curl yourself into a ball and whisper "My car is trying to kill me. My car is trying to kill me." over and over until the nice young men in the clean white coats come to "help" you.

Thanks!

You should immediately turn off all the lights, find a dark corner, curl yourself into a ball and whisper "My car is trying to kill me. My car is trying to kill me." over and over until the nice young men in the clean white coats come to "help" you.
:lol:

BTW it happens more if you also use wider than stock tires. It started happening more on my cars when I upgraded to a 205 wide tire.

On a 940 that front diagonal suspension stay can have worn bushings allowing the control arm to move back and forth on full lock.

Back