• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

Ansel, grab some alligator clips and test the fan against your battery, if it spins(and sparks at the batt terminals) when you hook up the wires, then the fan will be fine. Just go to the auto parts store and buy a 5 pin relay socket and relay with 30, 85, 86, and 87 terminals. If it has a 5th 87a terminal, that is fine, you won't use it. You can find those sockets/relays at the jy too, my pockets always end up full of relays and fuses...

Super simple to hook up. The most time consuming part is mounting the fan. I used the + terminal of my coil for my switched 12v source, not sure if that's the best place, but it hasn't failed me yet:rofl:

Guys,

Got the relay and the fan, but couldn't find the T fitting from a Saab for the life of me. Which models did these come in? Was this in the upper rad hose? Anyone have a photo of what it looks like on a car?

The place I went to mostly had 98+ convertibles and I couldn't find it in any of them, they appeared to be in a different housing closer to the engine. Help! :oops:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the response. I scoured a couple of local yards and nothing. However, I found this guy on an LS1 forum, seems like it's a good deal mostly because the yard will ask at least half as much for it and it will be used. In addition, you can just drill and tap the other side and have a dual sensor / dual speed setup to allow for a high and low speed setup with the volvo relay block. Much simpler, and only about $13.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE GUY AND I HAVEN'T BOUGHT ANYTHING FROM HIM, JUST TRYING TO HELP EVERYONE OUT.

http://stores.ebay.com/Zero-Point-Cooling?_trksid=p4340.l2563

84 244ti EFC

I have the fan,shroud and relay out of a 940 and I want to know if there is a rad. fan switch other then the 212 on 202 off is available that pushes into a grommet. I haven't been able to find one ( plugs into grommet) that has a lower temperature setting. Anyone know of one? I would like to use that for the high speed side of the fan and use the low side with a Saab inline sensor or could I use a adjustable temp. relay?

On my 84 244ti some times the original pusher fan will stay on for a short time after shut off. What controls that and will using the 940 set up do the same? I like the idea of the fan staying on after shut down because it also helps cool down of the turbo.

Any thought's on what I want to achieve?

I have the fan,shroud and relay out of a 940 and I want to know if there is a rad. fan switch other then the 212 on 202 off is available that pushes into a grommet. I haven't been able to find one ( plugs into grommet) that has a lower temperature setting. Anyone know of one? I would like to use that for the high speed side of the fan and use the low side with a Saab inline sensor or could I use a adjustable temp. relay?

On my 84 244ti some times the original pusher fan will stay on for a short time after shut off. What controls that and will using the 940 set up do the same? I like the idea of the fan staying on after shut down because it also helps cool down of the turbo.

Any thought's on what I want to achieve?

i tried to find a push in for my radiator- but ended up using a sab t with a 92 on 87 off switch, on just the High speed setting, but it will work even after the car is off if the coolant temp desires:-P
you can get a jegs inline and tap it for a second switch or 2 saab Ts?
Vw makes some wider ranges of switch
an adjustable is a good option or a radiator fin probe
i have heard of people using a dome light delay relay to run the fan a short time after car cut off

i tried to find a push in for my radiator- but ended up using a sab t with a 92 on 87 off switch, on just the High speed setting, but it will work even after the car is off if the coolant temp desires:-P
you can get a jegs inline and tap it for a second switch or 2 saab Ts?
Vw makes some wider ranges of switch
an adjustable is a good option or a radiator fin probe
i have heard of people using a dome light delay relay to run the fan a short time after car cut off

I think I will use the Saab Switch for the low speed and the push in switch for the high speed.

What ever way I decide to go with I think I want to put in a LED to show when it's on. Where would you wire it into on the 940 fan relay or fan wiring? I have a hard time trusting relays and electric fans but I like the idea of removing the mechanical fan.
l

What ever way I decide to go with I think I want to put in a LED to show when it's on. Where would you wire it into on the 940 fan relay or fan wiring? I have a hard time trusting relays and electric fans but I like the idea of removing the mechanical fan.
l

id wire it into
+ to fan(low speed)
and ground between relay and saab t
then another for the high speed

i keep a spare relay in all my e fan cars, but they almost never fail , and ive never had a fan die, but have had em get noisy and replaced it cause the bearings were getting noisy

Last edited:
For those people that have a two speed fan and are using the high speed setting, have you ever tried NOT using the high speed setting at all and not had good results?

I know on my measly N/A 240, the low speed is more than sufficient at all times that I've experienced, thus far. Then again, the car still has the factory pusher fan as well that comes on above a certain temp with the A/C, I think.

To the person with an '84 240 turbo in the recent posts, there is no factory pusher fan on your car, to my knowledge. It sounds like someone already equipped your car with an e-fan of sorts to help keep it cool, or improve A/C operation. :)

For those people that have a two speed fan and are using the high speed setting, have you ever tried NOT using the high speed setting at all and not had good results?

I know on my measly N/A 240, the low speed is more than sufficient at all times that I've experienced, thus far. Then again, the car still has the factory pusher fan as well that comes on above a certain temp with the A/C, I think.

yes i have and it worked fine but stayed on longer

I know I'm missing something because the fan will only turn on when I have the + on the temp switch grounded.

FANWIRING.png

As this point, I'm ready to put the clutch fan back on until I can figure this out.

I pulled the fan setup out of a late 960.

Back