• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

23mm sway bar bushings

Coffee

I keep finding 19-20-21 and 25 MM sway bar bushings, but not a single 23mm. If I thought I could mangle a 21mm on there id do it, but i don't think that's an option.

Am I just not looking hard enough?

I'd rather not attempt to destroy a 40$ set of poly bushings.
Nor do I intend to buy a massive drill bit that cost as much as the bushings.

I'd rather not attempt to destroy a 40$ set of poly bushings.
Nor do I intend to buy a massive drill bit that cost as much as the bushings.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G9...=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=23+mm+drill+bit.

Or wait.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5297/106891-hd-front-sway-bar-bushing-kit-turbo-models

A while back I had a 23mm bar and some 25mm bushings. I found some rubber gasket material that was 1mm thick I cut it, put it on the bar with contact cement. And voila.

IPD replacement 23mm brackets and poly bushings actually help stiffen up the feel of the 23mm bar. Must be the poly holding the bar better than the old worn out rubber.

This pic is a 23mm bar powder coated and IPD sticker applied with the IPD bushings.

IMAG1703_zpsvgelwptm.jpg

Oh ****, that's the one!

Thanks dude!

IPD replacement 23mm brackets and poly bushings actually help stiffen up the feel of the 23mm bar. Must be the poly holding the bar better than the old worn out rubber.

This pic is a 23mm bar powder coated and IPD sticker applied with the IPD bushings.

First off, your car is incredibly clean, do you even drive that thing?

I was debating on going rubber but this solidified my opinion.

I think (hope) the official Volvo part number is: 1273184 I have a set of these on order from Tasca but let's just say that promptness and responsiveness don't seem to apply once my credit card was charged. These mate with the original 23mm Volvo brackets. Poly aftermarket 23mm bushings may need a different bracket.

Update: well, the replacement part #1273184 from Tasca turns out to be a 21mm later style bushing than can (supposedly) be used with up to 23mm bars. It needs different mounting brackets (later 240 or 740/940?) that have long ribs on top/bottom instead of the small bumps top/bottom of the original turbo 23mm bracket/bushing.

Last edited:
I think (hope) the official Volvo part number is: 1273184 I have a set of these on order from Tasca but let's just say that promptness and responsiveness don't seem to apply once my credit card was charged. These mate with the original 23mm Volvo brackets. Poly aftermarket 23mm bushings may need a different bracket.
Cancel order and order the better poly ones with new brackets from IPD?

I'm gun shy about too much poly giving a loud and harsh ride (I bought into the AC VW poly coolaid many years ago and ended up replacing most of it with quality rubber).

For quietest/smoothest ride, what are the top few bushings that should stay rubber and which ones can go to poly for better handling? And for these, are there certain brands of poly that should be avoided for excessive harshness?

I'm gun shy about too much poly giving a loud and harsh ride (I bought into the AC VW poly coolaid many years ago and ended up replacing most of it with quality rubber).

For quietest/smoothest ride, what are the top few bushings that should stay rubber and which ones can go to poly for better handling? And for these, are there certain brands of poly that should be avoided for excessive harshness?

If you can't handle the accessory bushings being Poly, you'll want to stay rubber with everything.

snicker... AC VW = Air Cooled VW bug, not AirConditioning. More specifically, for the VW, I had poly for the front beam, spring plates, tranny, tranny strap, sway bar, steering coupler, etc. Not fun for commuting in traffic on rough roads. I think I left the spring plate poly in but went back to good rubber for everything else.

Oh, okay. I tried the poly trans mounts/engine in my type 3 and sheared them in half mid turn resulting in a high speed spin. I never used them in VW's after that either.

The poly sway bar bushings shouldn't be bad at all, but some people are more sensitive to that stuff than others, so it's really hard to say whether you will like them or not.

Or get the drop-in Superpro stuff, use your existing brackets, grease, install, profit.

Order tomorrow, have them to you in under a week, taking into account the weekend.

I just might know a guy...

I finally got my 23mm front sway bar bushings sorted out. The original '85 GLT rubber bushings are no longer available but there are 23mm bushings, using different brackets, still available from late model 740s and 940s. (click pic for full size)

Notice that the new bushings have a long ridge on top and bottom that mates with a groove in the bracket pieces. The original just had a bump on the bushing and a hole in the bracket. The long ridges&grooves should prevent the bushing from popping out of the bracket.

The part numbers for brackets and bushings are:
1330185 - outer U bracket
1359391 - inner bracket
1273615 (formerly 1273185) 23mm rubber bushing
1273184 21mm rubber bushing
1229389 19mm rubber bushing (this is from the web, I didn't have one to actually measure)

~$28 + shipping for set of bushings and brackets (these were in stock at Tasca)

Last edited:
To fit the late bushes into early brackets just cut the lugs off with a knife.

I only bother making the later type in poly as it is easy enough to trim them to fit older brackets

Back