home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
qwkswede
faster than you think

Default Qwkswede's Red 740 Wagon. Part Deux aka Superfridge

I haven't touched a project thread in quite a while, but I am still tinkering with old Volvos. What can I say, some habits die hard. It's about time I start to organize a little memory book for this new adopted Volvo.

This car came to me kindly in a time of need. I had just wrecked my hotrod but daily driven 244. There is a project thread on Turbobricks for that car. I really loved that little car. It wasn't a crazy race car, just a nice daily driver with some solid modifications. More info here:
https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=301350

OLD CAR

I pulled the engine and trans and scrapped the shell. I couldn't find another 240 to build at the time. They have become scarce and expensive all of a sudden. It was a bit sad.

A friend saw me moping around Volvo-less and offered me a free 740 Turbo Wagon. It had been sitting in his yard for 10 years. Full of wasps, spiders, mice. It had some hail damage. It wasn't perfect, but a good solid platform for a hot rod daily driver maybe? It didn't run, but there was a decent engine that he grabbed at the junkyard long ago and never finished.

So I took it home and tried to make a plan. Do I get it running as a stock driver? Bolt on some fun stuff from the 240 parts pile? Here are some photos from day 1. I have a bit of catching up to do from the last year. Stay tuned.

NEW CAR - AUGUST 2018 PICS

Last edited by qwkswede; 10-24-2020 at 04:11 AM..
qwkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Boy oh boy, do I spot something sneaky in that last picture?

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
qwkswede
faster than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Boy oh boy, do I spot something sneaky in that last picture?
yep yep. I'll get some more details added. I can only crop pictures and type so fast. But for now I'm going to enjoy this cold boost friendly weather and do a burnout in my Red Wagon.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:49 AM   #5
qwkswede
faster than you think

I started this thread a year ago just after bringing the car home, and it came together pretty quickly. But, I got busy with other things and forgot all about this thread. Life happens. Pandemics happen, etc. But like everyone in the world, I'm spending alot of time around the house these days and alot of time in the garage. So it seems like a good time for an update.

Just to recap. Alot of parts like the engine were pulled from my wrecked 240. I combined those with a bunch of other parts from my basement stockpile. I also bought a few parts from Yoshifab and other places to make it an interesting runner.

Once it ran, I didn't really do much more work. I drove it and fixed some minor issues. But it's been a fun weekend driver. I have a handful of photos taken as it evolved over the first year in my hands.

I Rented the piston notcher from Yoshifab and got to work on the shortblock. It's a high mileage motor turbo I pulled from a junkyard. The original 1992 motor was long gone when I got the car. I think this was from an 89 or 90 year car.

Here I am trial fitting some of the basement parts from my old 16V adventures.

I installed some upgraded valve springs and seals. Also from Yoshifab.

Here it is coming together. You can see the Yoshifab adapter plate for the 8v exhaust manifold, to make it easy and reliable for a daily-ish driver.

I sourced the tensioner and crank timing pulley from Yoshifab too.

I then welded up a nice 3" exhaust for it. I installed a catalytic converter and a single Dynomax muffler at the rear bumper.

Last edited by qwkswede; 10-24-2020 at 04:13 AM..