• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Any knowledge about old BMW transmissions?

ICantDrift

Completely aside from and unrelated to BB-Q's post asking about BMW 6 speed conversions, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge about older BMW transmissions that were attached to M30's and the kind of abuse they can take. G260/6, G265/6, and the like. I know this isn't exactly the forum for this question but I struck out on the appropriate ones so I figured I would ask here as well, just for giggles. If it makes any difference, this is relevant because it's for an engine that's going into a Volvo. That counts, right? ;-)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Completely aside from and unrelated to BB-Q's post asking about BMW 6 speed conversions, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge about older BMW transmissions that were attached to M30's and the kind of abuse they can take. G260/6, G265/6, and the like. I know this isn't exactly the forum for this question but I struck out on the appropriate ones so I figured I would ask here as well, just for giggles. If it makes any difference, this is relevant because it's for an engine that's going into a Volvo. That counts, right? ;-)

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

The Official Party Line of TB Performance is they are good for minimum SIX THOUSAND N/M of raw torax.

Indestructible....
Volvo used them on the Grope A cars so maybe 1 million ft/lbs

Of course TB performance party line ignores totally that the model used in Group A cars--which used the exact same rations as the GpA Touring Car BMWs, the Rover V8, and the car that swept away all the others, some Ford thing all used a different gear set with a 2.37 first gear ratio

Now we know from the charts on T5 that the torque capacity of a given box goes UP as the ratio from clutch input shaft down to bottom/cluster gear goes up---and with that 1st , 2nd and 3rd.
And as the input to cluster ratio goes down and first ratio goes down into ratios suitable for a pick up truck, the torque capapcity also goes down..

So a Getrag with a 2.37 first is one thing, and its GOOD:nod:

And a Getrag with a 3.97 or 4.25 first is a pile of poooo:poo: in terms of strength..

Add to that the HUGE annoyiance in splitting the case, the absurd prices for what few parts that can be had and its a disaster of a gearbox.

If in good shape the 260 or 265 can take up to 500hp, but then they start to break. Peter broke a couple in his race car then finally upgraded to something stronger. His guy who rebuilt his last one told him to make it last add a tranny cooler. He didn't and broke it racing around PIR. I think his 8v redblock is putting out close to 600hp now is why he upgraded the trans, plus as stated cost a bunch to pay someone to rebuild them. I got a rebuilt 265 to put in my 16v turbo race car with twin disc quartermaster. Scored it for $50 on craigslist in a crate, plus I already had all the getrag adapters and driveline and stuff for a 740 from my old race car that the stock dog dish flywheel exploded on. 3.31 is the tallest ratio that I can get for the stock rear end so I run that for now with it.

Back