home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Tfrasca
Board Member

Default Aeromotive FPR - be careful

So, I've had this Aeromotive FPR on my 142 since I did the engine swap. It's about 6 months old, I'd say.

It never help line pressure after the pumps primed, and the needle on the gauge always fluctuated up to 7-8 psi. I was getting my TLAO chips dialed in with my light blue (390cc?) injectors, but I couldn't escape a nasty lean condition under boost toward 5k rpm. Increased fuel pressure to 58 psi, and the FPR would BARELY get there. It should be capable of 30-70psi base pressure, so I took it apart to see what was up.

Sure enough, the hole that the ball valve should seal against was worn unevenly. They apparently just drill a hole, after the base is already anodized, and don't put a radius or chamfer on it. I used a counter sink bit and milled a chamfer on the seat by hand, carefully.

It seals much better now. Still leaks residual pressure after 10-15 seconds, but holds running pressure rock steady on the gauge. I've adjusted FP back down to 43 psi and am actually a bit rich at 12 psi with a 19t.

TL;DR - Be careful with these Aeromotive FPRs. Had I not installed a wideband when I did, I probably would have lost a piston...

Last edited by Tfrasca; 11-14-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #2
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

I had one start leaking about a month ago due to a leak in the diagrams, and it was only 3 years old.

Last edited by culberro; 11-14-2017 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: Because I haz the dumbs
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
I had one start leaking about a month ago, and it was only 3 years old.
From the diaphragm? I also noticed the AN plug I used (provided by the FPR supplier) to plug the second input was very slightly fouling on the metal part of the diaphragm. I'm sure that would have caused issues if left unchecked.

I'm still leery of leaving this thing on here. Did you replace the Aeromotive with something else?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:11 AM   #4
wennstroma
Board Member

I've had this "trick flow by aeromotive" one for about 7 years now.

It usually won't hold rest pressure for more than 10-20 minutes, but once in a while it does. Running fuel pressure has always been pretty solid and I even initially cranked the base pressure way up to test the system for leaks and it didn't have fluctuations.

I always thought about opening it to see if the rest pressure could be improved, but never have.
wennstroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #5
Tfrasca
Board Member

10-20 minutes is light years ahead of what mine does. Even after trying to improve the seat, mine will drop residual pressure in less than 30 seconds.

This problem has been documented by some Evo guys years ago, but it would seem that Aeromotive's machining practices haven't changed. Here's the Evo thread, for pictures in case you ever decide to crack yours open.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #6
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Man, that's kinda sad. I thought they were one of the better brands. Any chance you maybe ended up with a knockoff? Just curious, knowing how much knockoff stuff is out there.
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
Man, that's kinda sad. I thought they were one of the better brands. Any chance you maybe ended up with a knockoff? Just curious, knowing how much knockoff stuff is out there.
I suppose it's possible that mine is a knockoff. But, the Aeromotive FAQ acknowledges the poor seal as it pertains to holding residual line pressure. And that's the same problem that causes erratic running pressure.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #8
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Ahh, so they know about it, but haven't bothered to fix it...gotcha...
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
So, I've had this Aeromotive FPR on my 142 since I did the engine swap. It's about 6 months old, I'd say.

It never help line pressure after the pumps primed, and the needle on the gauge always fluctuated up to 7-8 psi. I was getting my TLAO chips dialed in with my light blue (390cc?) injectors, but I couldn't escape a nasty lean condition under boost toward 5k rpm. Increased fuel pressure to 58 psi, and the FPR would BARELY get there. It should be capable of 30-70psi base pressure, so I took it apart to see what was up.

Sure enough, the hole that the ball valve should seal against was worn unevenly. They apparently just drill a hole, after the base is already anodized, and don't put a radius or chamfer on it. I used a counter sink bit and milled a chamfer on the seat by hand, carefully.

It seals much better now. Still leaks residual pressure after 10-15 seconds, but holds running pressure rock steady on the gauge. I've adjusted FP back down to 43 psi and am actually a bit rich at 12 psi with a 19t.

TL;DR - Be careful with these Aeromotive FPRs. Had I not installed a wideband when I did, I probably would have lost a piston...
What main pump are you running? what are you doing for wiring? do you have a inline check valve fitting on the pump. mine drops off pressure after i turn the key off like instantly but that is because no check valve on the pump and im using a in tank. base fuel pressure is at 38 in vacuum and doesnt run lean all the way up to 17psi
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #10
Tfrasca
Board Member

Bosch pump from a 240 turbo, with a good check valve. Once I fixed the FPR, the lean condition was fixed.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 AM   #11
centason
Wine enemas for all

Areomotive's older stuff used to be spot on. Great FPR.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Just remember this guys. Im related to cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
they were pushing sloppy poo up a steep hill with a pointy stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:57 AM   #12
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III

Quote:
From the diaphragm? I also noticed the AN plug I used (provided by the FPR supplier) to plug the second input was very slightly fouling on the metal part of the diaphragm. I'm sure that would have caused issues if left unchecked.

I'm still leery of leaving this thing on here. Did you replace the Aeromotive with something else?
Yep. It started leaking fuel out of the reference pressure nipple.
culberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #13
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
Areomotive's older stuff used to be spot on. Great FPR.
Agreed. Have one on my Chevelle with EFI, and it's been rock solid without issues.

A 6 month old product certainly should have warranty service from AERO.... have you called them? I'm betting they will replace if you purchased new.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
tryingbe
Boosting along.

I like my stock BOSCH fuel pressure regulator.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
poulrais
Board Member

Mine looses residual pressure instantly also. Running an Aeromotive A1000 external pump with no check valve. Pressure on the gauge is rock steady at 42 psi when the car is running and my datalogs did not show any pressure drops that would've messed up my AFRs and injector's duty cycle.

What are the other options for a good adjustable FPR? What about this one from AEM:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/produc...sure-regulator

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553

Last edited by poulrais; 11-14-2017 at 08:57 AM..
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

watch out.. there are really much piracy knockoffs out there...

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/buyer-...ne-aeromotive/
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #17
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
I like my stock BOSCH fuel pressure regulator.
I couldn't fit a stock one on my fuel rail due to some packaging restraints. Plus, it's really nice to be able to fine tune fuel pressure.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Agreed. Have one on my Chevelle with EFI, and it's been rock solid without issues.

A 6 month old product certainly should have warranty service from AERO.... have you called them? I'm betting they will replace if you purchased new.
I have contacted the seller, so we'll see what happens.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
Wilford Brimley
enjoys the beetus

How did you put it on the stock rail
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316428 91'744T .57 t3/t4, big ic, greddy type s, 55lb/hr injectors, bosch 044, tloa ecu/ezk, 3"amm, rsi stg 3 cam, ttr cam gear, top mount header, 3" exhaust, kevlar tbelt, e-fan, 22 psi, intrax springs, cherry turbo brace, ipd rear sway, dual front sway bars, bilstein struts, camber mod, accum mod
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
watch out.. there are really much piracy knockoffs out there...

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/buyer-...ne-aeromotive/
Man, that's discouraging. People are literally the worst. A large bicycle company I once worked for had a guy whose full time job it was to track down counterfeit bikes. It's amazing how many there were.

In my case, my seller seems legit, and isn't on that list, for whatever that's worth. I also have the much less frequently ripped off model.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #21
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
How did you put it on the stock rail
I made my fuel rail, and the back end is too close to the firewall, and the front is too close to the plenum and plug wires. I mounted the FPR to the firewall at the booster:

Old 11-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
142 guy
Board Member

Interesting

I was running a slightly different version of the Aeromotive FPR on my 142 with the original B20E engine.

https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/produc...ass-regulator/

My take is that the primary difference is that this regulator has an optional spring which allows lower operating pressures.

Like others, I noticed that on shut down the regulator would allow loss of fuel pressure very quickly. The bigger problem I encountered was irregularities in fuel pressure, particularly spikes in fuel pressure and a lot of noise from the FPR. In particular the FPR seemed to have a lot of valve chatter anytime the FPR was by-passing lots of fuel. When driving, if you lifted the gas pedal quickly the FPR would howl - being mounted on the firewall made for a great sounding board and lots of noise.

By experimentation, I discovered that this Aeromotive FPR is acutely sensitive to back pressure on the fuel return line and it has a problem managing pressures at low flow (high by-pass) rates. I improved operation slightly by making sure that all the bends on the discharge were very large radius >15cm. Aeromotive's technical support suggested that the problem was that the return line was too small. In their technical documents the minimum recommended return line is 3/8" and the stock return line on the 142 E is 5/16". I ultimately solved the problem by using an FPR for a Nissan 280 ZX. Non adjustable, does not look as trick; but, provides consistent reliable operation.

As an observation. If your regulator is chattering it will cause accelerated wear on the control orifice and other problems. Depending on how you have the FPR mounted you may not notice the valve chatter. Also, if you have large fuel return lines you may not encounter the back pressure problem.
142 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #23
brian smith
Board Member

Quote:

I'm glad I saw this before installing mine. So what do we think, would a 60 degree taper countersink be better than a 45 degree for this?
brian smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #24
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian smith View Post
I'm glad I saw this before installing mine. So what do we think, would a 60 degree taper countersink be better than a 45 degree for this?
In a perfect world, I assume a matched radius would be best. I used a 45, and it's marginal. 60 would give it more room to settle in, I assume.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #25
shaved240
Board Member

my Aeromotive FPR never holds any pressure when the car is off. Always thought that was kind of odd.
1988 244: b230f+t, M46:PARTED
1995 960: SOLD
1994 945: SOLD

on the hunt for the elusive zf diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungledorifuto View Post
ship me that m46 for 40 bucks and im game
shaved240 is offline   Reply With Quote