• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

best lightweight under drive pulley

Didn't the B21/B23 and all earlier motors have forged cranks?

I tried an underdrive pully on my B230 and didn't like it. For one thing, the air con groove came too small and not lined up. Thankfully I have a lathe and fixed that. Another is that I'd have to pop it into neutral and rev the motor to keep the air con working. The water pump & alt didn't seem to care. There was a noticeable vibration from the motor as well, which even the wife mentioned. A lot. Also, it liked to throw the belts.

I bought a brand stinking new balancer from BHJ Dynamics (much better than the Dorman crap) and all is well.

http://www.bhjdynamics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=230

Been rocking the underdrive on mine for the last 60k or so with no issues at all. No belt issues (other than a belt failure itself), no alignment issues, nothing.

Granted it's not one of Borrie's or Dale's though.

BTW, Borrie...ever thought of doing a stock diameter pulley? Keeps the ratios right for everything but still lighter and more reliable than the balancer. Been considering having one done for some time, just never that much of a need. I know a few that would be interested in it depending on price. Also would be nice to incorporate the stock pulley holder slots in them for install.

Didn't the B21/B23 and all earlier motors have forged cranks?

I believe all B21 were forged, and most B23. The 84 B23 as I've read had both forged & cast, dependent on auto/manual. The TB Wizard hairsplitters will know for certain....

Unorthodox Racing will still make one for you...See A bit pricy...but maybe not.

Unorthodox Racing email said:
Date: July 11, 2014 at 4:30:30 PM CDT
To: noz@stx.rr.com
Subject: Re: Contact Form
We make custom pulleys all the time.

They start at $499 and go up based on tooling required and the size and scope of materials required.

Lead time is roughly 8-10 weeks which allows for shipping of sample/s and product design.

Hmm, wonder if they can still do the underdrive one, since they already have a drawing for it (or should, since they have made them in the past). For $499 though.....dayum.

Been rocking the underdrive on mine for the last 60k or so with no issues at all. No belt issues (other than a belt failure itself), no alignment issues, nothing.

Granted it's not one of Borrie's or Dale's though.

BTW, Borrie...ever thought of doing a stock diameter pulley? Keeps the ratios right for everything but still lighter and more reliable than the balancer. Been considering having one done for some time, just never that much of a need. I know a few that would be interested in it depending on price. Also would be nice to incorporate the stock pulley holder slots in them for install.

I could do that I guess, I have pulleys for all types of redblocks btw no need to pony out 499 for pullys

Installed an unorthodox pulley on my wifes 850 about 80k ago - she even noticed how much faster the engine would rev.
I would say it's one of the best mods for $ you can buy

who has one for a b23 ?

Back