home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #26
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Nice! Hope the build progresses as wanted in your holiday!
Really interested in the results.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #27
oldschoolvolvo
Board Member
 
oldschoolvolvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Default

nice fabrication work
__________________
-Mike
1998 V70 T5
1979 242 DL 16v

|Feedback|
oldschoolvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #28
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Thanks for the kind words guys.

What has been done:

- Installed 940 radiator and fan. Fitted 940 fan upside down for clearance with the water pump pulley.
- Made support bracket for the air cleaner
- Installed coolant hoses.
- Made a turbo oil drain. (18mm pipe from turbo, onto braided hose. Drains to stock location)
- Had water pump modified (many thanks to JW240)
- Installed wiring loom and ECU
- Installed fuel pump and new fuel pump wiring
- Installed new fuel lines from tank to engine
- Installed driveshafts and new support bearing

Still needs:

- Fan relay and wiring
- Heat shield for oil filler cap
- Tidy up/clean engine bay and all wiring
- A tune....

A lot of work has been done and I do not have a lot of pics to show for it.
Anyway:




FakeSquirt ECU in glove compartment



Upside down 940 fan:



Made a mount for the bosch coil and welded it to the body. Coolant reservoir is also mounted (further away from the turbine), but this is not shown yet in the pics. Still need to tidy up all the wiring and repaint the valve cover.


Also test fitted my old wheels:



Took these to the coater, they will be dark silver metallic !
Also ordered some 245/40's for the rear.
The steelie idea is put on hold for now, maybe I will change my mind again.

And it runs:



Untuned, the thing already runs well. It already pulls well in low rpm, even with a fixed 10 degrees of timing. Next week I will drain the oil, change filter and start tuning.

One problem though, I need to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch, and gear changing is hard. This needs to be addressed as well. No idea yet what the culprit is, pivot point was shimmed and the clutch arm angle looks good.

Last edited by Sjeng; 08-23-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #29
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Bled clutch: didn't work.

Realized it had to be the clutch line, as the throwout arm angle is correct.
Stock volvo clutch lines don't mix with stiffer PP's.
Installed this and bled clutch again:



Clutch is rock solid now.
Drove the car. Already drives very well, even with modest timing.
Turbo spools well.
It hits "full boost" at 2600rpm (wg opens at 0.3 bar) .
Already pulls well.

No leaks! I'm very satisfied. Time to start driving and tuning.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #30
Finnish240
Board Member
 
Finnish240's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Default

I have the same s200(g?) and it is maybe going in with my 8 valve. I am excited to see numbers that you will get I am not sure tho if I use it or not, it would be nice to get turbo spooling same week when I press the gaspedal
__________________
Volvo 240 GL - not so low, but yes.... it is slow
Finnish240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #31
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

They are very good units, from what I have read. There are a couple of variants, compressor size ranges from 50 to 54mm inducer, and turbine exducer varies between 56 and 65mm. Even the 65mm turbine is said to spool very well. I would certainly try it if I were you.

I have a couple of different turbo's which I might try after this. HX40 16cm with 56mm inducer. Should deliver a lot of power, wonder how it spools on this engine.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #32
Janspeed
Board Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Default

I just discovered your build thread. Very nice car! Gonna be an awesome ride when it will be finished.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #33
Finnish240
Board Member
 
Finnish240's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Finland
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
They are very good units, from what I have read. There are a couple of variants, compressor size ranges from 50 to 54mm inducer, and turbine exducer varies between 56 and 65mm. Even the 65mm turbine is said to spool very well. I would certainly try it if I were you.

I have a couple of different turbo's which I might try after this. HX40 16cm with 56mm inducer. Should deliver a lot of power, wonder how it spools on this engine.
Hx40 is a common used unit in Finland. S200sxe turbos have "lots of" variants with their turbine housings, it would be nice to have info if the turbine housings would fit to these work machine units
Finnish240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #34
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Thanks Janspeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish240 View Post
Hx40 is a common used unit in Finland. S200sxe turbos have "lots of" variants with their turbine housings, it would be nice to have info if the turbine housings would fit to these work machine units
Yes, this part number came from a volvo/deutz excavator. Turbine housing looks nice for our purposes: (still will give the HX40 a try though)

Part No:

12709880017

Angle α (Compressor Housing): 21°
Angle ß (Turbine Housing): 356°
Back Plate: 167744 (166537)(1253200300)(304020003)
Bearing Housing: 56201500005
CHRA: 12707100007 (1270-710-0007)
Compressor Wheel: 10771232001 (Milled Aluminum)(Ind. 54.61 mm, Exd. 78.61 mm, 7+7 Blades, Super Back)
Heat Shield: 167997
Repair Kit: 318383 (318394)
Turbine Housing A/R: 0.76
Turbine Wheel: 168431 (Ind. 69 mm, Exd. 55.9 mm, 11 Blades)


I have been driving the car for the last few days, all is well.
Just some lifter tick on cold oil.

Got my wheels back from the coater and had the tires fitted.
245/40 in the rear and 225/45 in the front, Vredestein tires.
Payed a bit with the shock settings, handling is quite good, although a little tail happy.
Might delete the rear sway bar.

Pictures suck, as I have the cheapest, oil stained phone you can imagine.
Will try to get some decent pics, these don't do the car justice.



Also, I have some more electrical work to do. Have to switch the fan relay using a 5V ECU output, so I will use a transistor circuit for that.
In addition, driving without tacho sucks, so I made this: (yet to be tested)




Next up: finish electrical work and install 302mm front brakes.

Last edited by Sjeng; 09-13-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #35
Swedbrick
Board Member
 
Swedbrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Netherlands, Source of Grolsch
Default

Nice work! Also running the Vredestein ultracs?

As for the swaybar, you could try getting a stiffer front 25mm ipd, I'm assuming you're at 19mm in the back
__________________
Volvo 745 - IPD springs, 25mm front w 19mm rear swaybars, K-cam, LH2.4, M90 swap, 3.54 racingdiff lsd, track/daily
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #36
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedbrick View Post
Nice work! Also running the Vredestein ultracs?

As for the swaybar, you could try getting a stiffer front 25mm ipd, I'm assuming you're at 19mm in the back
Indeed, Ultracs, good value for money. Might delete the rear swaybar, as it is already quite stiff.

Update:

I have been driving the car to work for a couple of days, things were going well and the car was driving well already, although I was still taking it easy.

One day I parked it at work, and 30 minutes later I get called by the security:

"Sir do you own a white Volvo?"
That is correct.
"You better get to the parking lot, your car is on fire. Fire department and cops are already there"

I went outside expecting the worst, but the damage is not that bad.

The oil filler cap caught fire because it is next to the turbo, and it ignited the bonnet insulation in the process. This started smoking and set of the security guys at work.

The fire guys ripped out the grill (snapping off the headlight clips), opened the hood, and started spraying powder and then water onto the engine.

They also disconnected the battery and loosened the alternator (?).

After work, I reconnected the battery, slapped aluminium foil around the filler cap, started the car and drove home.

Anyway:




The black marks on the bonnet can be easily cleaned, already tried.
Also, I made a heatshield between turbine and valve cover.
Please learn from my mistakes, I thought it "would probably be fine."
You do not want to risk your car or worse.


After the incident, I drove home with zero issues.
However, after starting it again it was running like crap!
Turns out it cylinders 2 and 3 were not firing.
Tested the ignition signal coming from ECU: everything OK.
Plug wires: OK.
Then I wanted to check the wiring going to the coil and found this:



This was a new connector, so the water probably caused this.
Cleaned it, still no spark at 2&3.

Then I got suspicious that I fried ANOTHER ignition module.
I tested the module, and the 2&3 channel is dead.

How does this guy keep frying ignition modules, do you ask?
Don't do this:



There are 2 notches on the module which cause a gap between heat shield and module. Oops.

New module ordered today.

On the up side:

- Cleaned/de-rusted the 302mm calipers. Next up: Painting.
- Idle control is working
- Fan is controlled by the ECU (used a 2N2222 to let MS fire the fan relay)

To be continued.

Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #37
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys.



Still needs:

- Fan relay and wiring
- Heat shield for oil filler cap
- Tidy up/clean engine bay and all wiring
- A tune....
Oops.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #38
JW240
All idiot, no savant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Default

Sucks but happens. Happy the damage is limited. Might want to get the old style B23 steel cap too? Might have one laying around still.

As you know, similar close calls on my side with catch can cola bottles freezing shut and engines spewing oil on hot turbo's, smoke everywhere, would have been flames if I hadn't stopped.

The power stage consumption of this car is shocking. Assume you used thermo conducting paste between the alu heat sink and the power stage itself. Like discussed, the combo of this 2x2 coil and power stage is good, the dwell time is what is to be expected, ecu and power stage are compatible and pullup OK. Strange!

Anyways. Looking good, only small things easily fixed and you're back to boosting.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:32 AM   #39
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

so, you're telling me my wobbly clutch is my new installed oem clutch hose which cost double a steelflex would have cost.. !??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
Bled clutch: didn't work.

Realized it had to be the clutch line, as the throwout arm angle is correct.
Stock volvo clutch lines don't mix with stiffer PP's.
Installed this and bled clutch again:



Clutch is rock solid now.
Drove the car. Already drives very well, even with modest timing.
Turbo spools well.
It hits "full boost" at 2600rpm (wg opens at 0.3 bar) .
Already pulls well.

No leaks! I'm very satisfied. Time to start driving and tuning.
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #40
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...
 
Vol242vo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Default

Thank god those security guards noticed this smoke and notified you, could have been a lot worse. Really nice fabrication skills, hope you get everything ironed out.
__________________
Derek
1 Owner - 85k mile 1980 242
Recaro LX Bs - 16" ARE 398s - 25/25 Sway Bars - Bilstein HDs - SuperPro Poly/STS Derlin Bushings - MSD - R Sport Wheel

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #41
Sjeng
Board Member
 
Sjeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
S
The power stage consumption of this car is shocking. Assume you used thermo conducting paste between the alu heat sink and the power stage itself. Like discussed, the combo of this 2x2 coil and power stage is good, the dwell time is what is to be expected, ecu and power stage are compatible and pullup OK. Strange!

Anyways. Looking good, only small things easily fixed and you're back to boosting.
Just checked again:

Nominal dwell is 3.1ms at 14V, voltage correction is just like in the Bosch documentation. This should charge the coil to between 7 and 8 Amps, which does not seem excessive to me. I can always reduce it when I fry the next module. Let's hope it's not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
so, you're telling me my wobbly clutch is my new installed oem clutch hose which cost double a steelflex would have cost.. !??
Feel the hose while your friend presses the clutch pedal. I could feel the (used and old) hose physically expanding. At first I thought I didn't bleed enough because it would not disengage, but this was not the case. After changing the line it was fixed immediately. On KL-Racings website they also mention that the OEM volvo line is not suitable for use with stronger pressure plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Thank god those security guards noticed this smoke and notified you, could have been a lot worse. Really nice fabrication skills, hope you get everything ironed out.
Thanks! Yes I'm happy the car is still useable, and I'm very motivated to improve it!
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM   #42
Swedbrick
Board Member
 
Swedbrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Netherlands, Source of Grolsch
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
Feel the hose while your friend presses the clutch pedal. I could feel the (used and old) hose physically expanding. At first I thought I didn't bleed enough because it would not disengage, but this was not the case. After changing the line it was fixed immediately. On KL-Racings website they also mention that the OEM volvo line is not suitable for use with stronger pressure plate
Hmm interesting, I've been running a 763 pressure plate with the stock lines without issues for a couple of years. Maybe I got a fresher line, I assume you have a dutch friendly source for the reinforced line
Swedbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #43
dopski
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rotterdam
Default

Hi didnt know u had such a nice topic here.
I bought your shortblock for some parts. I'm nealy done collecting stuff to build a b234f for my 242.
Did you reuse old pistons or did u buy new ones and then made valve clearances?
I intended to use (your) 234f pistons in a b230fb shortblock. But maybe better to redrill old pistons.
dopski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.