home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #51
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Brilliant idea with the painters tape and washers. I skimmed through the last few posts, are you powder coating or spray? It all looks fantastic.

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:09 PM   #52
escondidoron
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Brilliant idea with the painters tape and washers. I skimmed through the last few posts, are you powder coating or spray? It all looks fantastic.
Thank you for the kind words. Ive been doing the washer and tape thing since I was a kid; back in my slot car days.

I am rattle can spray painting with etching primer and Rustoleum. Before painting Im sandblasting wherever possible. I.e. if it will fit in my blast cabinet. I prep all parts with acetone immediately before painting to ensure any lingering oil residue is removed. Paint consists of light coat of primer and 2 coats of color. After the finish coat of paint cures sufficiently to be able to handle I bake at 325F for 30 minutes. At assembly time I try to keep my hands clean and pre-fitting parts before painting helps to assure that they go together w/o interference. The resultant finish has proven to be quite durable.

'73 145
'16 V60

A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom. - Michel De Montaigne 1588

escondidoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #53
escondidoron
Board Member

Does anybody know whether or not these two plugged holes have threaded nut plates behind them on my '73 145? I'm referring to the 2 plastic plugs on the cowl between the windshield washer reservoir/pump and the wiper motor, circled in the pic below:

They are pretty well aged and I think that I would destroy the plugs by attempting to remove them. If they are threaded I can use them to provide anchor points for a future A/C hose support.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:59 PM   #54
bgpzfm142
crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by escondidoron View Post
Does anybody know whether or not these two plugged holes have threaded nut plates behind them on my '73 145?
Unfortunately, no; they don't.

Your progress on this car is quite awesome, and I'm following with interest.

_______ THE FLEET (AKA good luck trying to park around here)
71 1800E | 73 144 | 74 142 | 74 145 | 79 242GT | 85 244 | 88 780 V6 | 93 945T | 2010 S80 V8
plus a Holden Commodore VT SS 5.7
feedback thread
bgpzfm142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:53 AM   #55
escondidoron
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpzfm142 View Post
Unfortunately, no; they don't.
Thanks for the info. Not to worry, there are plenty of other existing holes, screws and bolts on the firewall to use to secure the A/C return hose from the evaporator to the compressor. Thanks to your response I have gone in another direction that will work out well I think. At least I hope that it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpzfm142 View Post
Your progress on this car is quite awesome, and I'm following with interest.
Thank you very much.

I had a bit of time at the shop this afternoon so I took advantage of the opportunity and made a plan for the A/C hose routing. With that in mind I made a few new parts, some brackets and hard lines:

Top to bottom they are:
1) Support bracket for the return hose to the Compressor from the Evaporator
2) Aluminum hard line from the Receiver-Drier to the Evaporator (to go through the cowl)
3) Steel hard line from the Compressor to the Condenser (to route around the steering gearbox and under the battery tray))
4) Aluminum hard line from the Receiver-Drier to the Evaporator (to get around the air cleaner
5) Aluminum hardline from the Evaporator to the Compressor (to exit the cowl)
6) Revised E-fan lower mount brackets

With the routing laid out I can now order the proper fittings. I'll be placing a parts order with Cold Hose in the morning. Once received I can move on to get the hoses final-fitted (hopefully), crimped and installed.

With any luck I'll have A/C working by wintertime.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #56
escondidoron
Board Member

I spent a little time working on the Banana today. I placed my parts order with Cold Hose this morning. I hope that I got everything that I need because they're all the way on the other side of the country from SoCal. I also installed the new support bracket that attaches to the cowl and will keep the A/C return line from the evaporator back to the compressor properly located and not rubbing on a bunch of other stuff. A nice by-product is that the stiffening flange on the back side of the bracket also provides a convenient little cable tray area to clean up and more effectively control all of the wires that traverse the cowl from the driver's to passenger side of the engine bay. I added a few holes to the bracket to allow convenient placement of cable ties in the future.

Here is the new support bracket installed:

Since the new A/C compressor is very close to the brake master cylinder I already have re-routed the positive battery cable to run a bit further down so that there is no risk of contact with the compressor. I decided that a new support / guide bracket was in order to replace the original Volvo bracket. The new bracket routes the starter wire below the power brake vacuum reservoir instead of along side it.

Here is the new starter wire support / guide bracket:

And now with a proper grommet to better insulate the wire from chafing damage:

I will make a new battery-to-starter motor lead wire in the next couple of days as the original one that is still functioning could stand a fresh connector at the battery end. I'll make a fresh ground lead at that time as well. You know, as long as I am in there..... Haha.