home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #226
Broke4speed
Board Member

The local scrappers all of a sudden got two 960s, a 95 and a 97, so I've been shopping . I got a MAF, IAC, intake pipe, and power steering pump, so I officially have everything I need for the swap. I also grabbed some cam gears from the 95, because they have marks on them.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #227
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Nice. The b6304 can't weigh much more than the b230, can it?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #228
Broke4speed
Board Member

It seems pretty close, IMO. Probably going to be a bit heavier, but not a whole lot.
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #229
GTJordan
Been here for too long

If it's warm and you feel like it, can you grab the bell housings? I know it's probably not worth the work.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #230
S70T5fivespeed
Board Member

Nice project. Go Canada. Probably too far to make sense but someone in Alberta is selling what looks like a pretty well matched OE interior

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...ationFlag=true
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #231
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJordan View Post
If it's warm and you feel like it, can you grab the bell housings? I know it's probably not worth the work.
I honestly think about that all the time...but due to some degenerated disks in my lower back, I have to pick my physical jobs very carefully. Pulling the RWD swap parts would put me out for days. Pulling the B6304 + AW30-40 for my own swap left me bent up for a week :(.

If I could dig up some able bodied help, I'd take a weekend and gather the bits, but there's not too many people willing to work through a snowstorm for someone else's parts, lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #232
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70T5fivespeed View Post
Nice project. Go Canada. Probably too far to make sense but someone in Alberta is selling what looks like a pretty well matched OE interior

Thanks .
My interior is pretty mint already, with the exception of my mismatched driver's seat. I had to remove the OEM seat because there's minimal back support (my back is a bag of jello and bone splinters), and I sat too high, lol. I still have it though, just in case .
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #233
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70T5fivespeed View Post

Indeed, Canada is killing it with RWD projects. You are putting the typical lower 48 projects to shame!

Keep it up

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #234
Broke4speed
Board Member

Thanks! :D
Hopefully the winter finds me able to clean up the B6304 and prep it for installation first thing in the spring. It's no fun working with the garage door closed.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #235
Broke4speed
Board Member

Well, the compression results have shown me I have two low cyls, #3 and #6. Not wildly low, but quite different from the others, which are all similar. I think I may have some stuck rings, seeing as how it did sit in a junkyard for a while. I'm not too concerned, but I'll keep it in the back of my head while setting everything up.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #236
Cwazywazy
Single jingle

Let some ATF/Marvel Mystery oil sit in the cylinders and test again?
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #237
Broke4speed
Board Member

Yeah, probably going to head out tomorrow and get some. I got called in for supper so called it quits, lol.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #238
Broke4speed
Board Member

Ufkc it. I didn't get anything to unstick the rings, but I did get it on the stand finally. This is the part of an engine project I hate the most. Its dirty, greasy, dusty, and generally bleck. Now I have to figure out what I am going to need, gasket-wise.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #239
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got my 900-series technical DVD from OTP last night. There's a lot of good info in there that I haven't found online yet, and the Volvo parts # catalogs are definitely worth the price of admission. It covers the 940s and 960s, so redblocks and early whiteblocks are covered, which is cool. Complete wiring diagrams too.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #240
Broke4speed
Board Member

I've been learning stuff about 6-cyl whiteblocks lately, and I almost regret not going JZ, lol.

My engine is a pre-131035 serial numbered block, so it should have a 21mm timing belt...but has obviously been 'upgraded' to the 23mm belt at the dealership at some point in it's life. I've been contemplating upgrading to the 28mm belt, since there is a 97 B6304 at the local scrap yard, and I've already taken the wider cam gears. I know I'd need the crank cog,water pump, and idler/tensioner pullies, but I'm not sure what else. I'm also not sure it's even worth it, to be honest, considering I'll probably end up changing the belt at some point before 50,000km.

Now I just have to wait until after the holidays to try to harvest money from the budget tree for my timing belt and gasket kits.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #241
Broke4speed
Board Member

Looks like I'm heading to the scrappers this weekend. Should be a fun time, since it's supposed to be ~-30*C-ish. I was trying to remove the thermostat from the I6...and broke the ears off the elbow. Ok, well all is not lost, surely I can get the thermostat housing off...snap. F**K.

So, looks like I need a new thermostat housing and elbow. Luckily it seems to be a shared part with other pre-2000 whiteblocks, so I should be able to get something that works. The yard won't be crowded either, due to the insane cold, lol. I guess I'll have to dig up my arctic junkyarding gear.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #242
Broke4speed
Board Member

Don't ever go to the junkyard in -40*C (which is the same as -40*F, coincidentally). It was sunny, I was bored, but it was still very, very cold...so I went to get a thermostat housing. I got one, but even after 15 minutes outside, I started shaking like a leaf when I came in to pay for the housing. I was dressed very well, so the only parts of me that got cold were my face and one hand (glove off to remove bolts), but apparently my body was using all it's resources to keep me warm/warm back up afterwards. I felt like ****, and had to go get some food since it felt like I hadn't eaten in days.

This wasn't my smartest move, but I at least got a thermostat housing for free. The junkyard guys took pity on me and called it square, lol.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #243
soclosenotnear
Board Member

You are seriously brave to go out in that temperature. I saw 16°f a couple mornings ago, and that was the coldest I've ever felt. I wouldn't have considered hitting the junkyard.

That was positive 16°f, by the way.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #244
Broke4speed
Board Member

Positive 16*F would have been a dream, it's been -30*C-ish here for the past couple weeks. The furnace has been working overtime, and the old battery in my subaru DD has been close to death more than a few mornings.

I'm definitely NEVER going to the junkyard in -40 though. Learned a lesson today.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #245
Broke4speed
Board Member

I put in an order at FCP for all the stuff I need to put the engine back together. I may drop by the jet cutters this week too, to get my "Homer's Whiteblock Swap Mounts Puzzle" cut out, and then...maybe a mid-winter swap.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 AM   #246
StanleyR
Board Member

Awesome build OP! My first car was an M46 B21A rusted pile in the late 90's with massive holes in the floors. What your doing to this Volvo, I only dreamt of on mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Yeah, the stwomboig carbs do that even on the 1969-70 B20B engines and on the 1969-72 B30A engines. They also like to idle high. Most ohv guys either went SU HS6 or HIF6 on their B20's, if they were smart. If not, they'd wind up putting Weber DGV kits on instead. Not really sure why Volvo went back to the 1969-70 carb setup in 1982.

-J
The SU's weren't that much better overall. On cold prairie mornings mine would buck and hiccup like crazy until the engine warmed up sufficiently. Boy I don't miss that!

Also, the reason why Volvo went to carb's on the DL model in Canada as of the late 70's, was to keep the purchase (and building) costs low on the car to make it more "affordable". Yet they recommended running it on premium fuel in the owners manual that's some Volvo logic for ya!
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:44 AM   #247
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Awesome build OP! My first car was an M46 B21A rusted pile in the late 90's with massive holes in the floors. What your doing to this Volvo, I only dreamt of on mine!

The SU's weren't that much better overall. On cold prairie mornings mine would buck and hiccup like crazy until the engine warmed up sufficiently. Boy I don't miss that!

Also, the reason why Volvo went to carb's on the DL model in Canada as of the late 70's, was to keep the purchase (and building) costs low on the car to make it more "affordable". Yet they recommended running it on premium fuel in the owners manual that's some Volvo logic for ya!
Yeah, I think the B20 guys usually swap the HIF 6 carbs out for the older HS6 carbs with the external float bowls. Supposedly they work better. Not that I'd know. None of my Volvos have been carbed. Almost had a 544 many moons ago, but, body was too roached and it needed too much work that I turned down the $75 price on it.

That, plus, Canada didn't have as stringent an emissions requirement, and the cars were being built up there for the Cdn market, so the Cdn spec cars were optioned more like the European cars, but still looked like the US spec cars externally. At least, until 1983, where Canada seemed to be stuck in the 1982 model year, and the US advanced to 1983... Personally, I think they probably would've been better off just installing the 49 state B21F in the 1977-81 Cdn spec DL's and maybe using the Chrysler ignition B21F in 1982 on the DL up there. Then, in 1983, install the B23E in all non-turbo 240's up there. By 1984, Volvo would've been able to just use the California emissions B23F in all North American 240's that didn't have the B21FT. After all, Halifax did have the US engines on hand. Some of the US spec cars were made there through at least 1985.

Anyway, I digress...

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46.

@john242ti on IG
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #248
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Thanks .
I'm trying really hard not to 'ruin' it, since it is in such good shape. So far, it's just a yellow copy of my first car, an 85 244 GLTic, and I couldn't be happier .
Old 01-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #249
Broke4speed
Board Member

It was so nice out today (a balmy 5*C!), that I was able to work with the garage door open.

I got the new O-rings installed on the oil filter/oil cooler assembly, cleaned up the thermostat housing and installed it, and then moved on to checking the cam positions...

Uh...wut?

Is there supposed to be a cam seal behind the cap on the exhaust side?
Old 01-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #250
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

it is SUCH a nice day today yeah
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote