home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #451
Broke4speed
Board Member

Today was a very good day to inadvertently get cool parts for the car. I went to buy some wheels (15x8 25.4ET from a Jeep TJ), and while I was killing time, I went to an old school euro parts yard and found a decent turbo grille and later speaker covers. They've also got a couple of cars I could pull manual swap parts from...but it would be difficult. They pile the cars, so climbing is involved.

Their lineup of RWD Volvos was interesting: A couple 86-89 cars, an airbag one (couldn't tell year), a bertone coupe (really want the steering wheel, but I'd have to smash a window to get it :(), a 146 (manual with the B30 I think), a 780 Bertone coupe, an assortment of 7s and 9s (at least one 16v), and a bunch of half-flattened 240 carcasses of unknown year. The pricing at this yard is...painful, though. Everything the guy has is 'rare' or 'his last one', and he pulls prices out of his butt, so the cool stuff is going to be $$$. It really depends how badly you want what he's got, ultimately.

...I kinda really want that 16v...
Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #452
Broke4speed
Board Member

Finally rocking the correct grille .

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #453
Broke4speed
Board Member

I ordered a set of 25mm adapters...but needed staggered. A bit of time at work on the metal lathe fixed that. Now I have 25 & 15 .
Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #454
Broke4speed
Board Member

Aaaaand because I can't stand lugcentric BS, I made hubcentric inserts at work. I'm not a great machinist, but I can get things done with enough time. Now my chinabay spacers are hubcentric to the hub and to the wheel. Good thing my current boss is a car guy.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #455
Broke4speed
Board Member

Jeep TJ 'Ravines', 15x8 w/ 25ET. 25mm adapter in the rear and 15mm adapter in the front. 205/55-15 BFGoodrich G-Force TAs (yeah they're old, but they were free). I trimmed 10mm out of the rear arch lip, but it's not low enough to even warrant it. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dig the look .

Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #456
Broke4speed
Board Member

PROJECT TIME! :D

As much as I'd love to covert to manual, the costs involved make it beyond my budget. Even a busted WC T5 goes for $400+ in this area, and then the other costs need to be factored in (adapter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, driveshaft, shifter, pedal cluster, master cylinder, slave cylinder, etc). After all that...I'd have a transmission with a possible limit of 300hp. The other option (CD009) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above what I'm willing to pay...so there's only one other option: stay automatic!

Enter a JDM 2JZ-GTE tiptronic box from an Aristo. These things always come attached to the JDM engines at the importer, and nobody wants them. I got this for less than $100 CAD, and it's MINT. It's the tiptronic box, which means nothing ultimately, but they tend to be very low KM boxes...and this one shows it. I've counted the input shaft splines, and I think the Volvo 960 torque converter will fit. That would make the swap a lot easier .
Old 09-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #457
Broke4speed
Board Member

Because I will eventually need them...a bunch of parts were acquired today. Pedal box/firewall plate/clutch cable, front driveshaft portion, transmission crossmember, and an M47 bellhousing to use with a T5 adapter. I plan on staying auto for now, but I know that I will definitely get bored and want to swap...and these were a good trade .

Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #458
Broke4speed
Board Member

Did a couple of things and have a couple of things in the works. Added the Borgeson fluid pressure control shims to my power steering pump to sort the twitchy nonsense. Worked well.

I'm going to drop some spare hubs off at the machine shop to get re-drilled to 5x114.3 because there's something slightly out-of-whack with my front adapter setup. The rears are great...but I didn't touch those, so clearly the variable is my machine work.

The best bit is that I've solved my boost creep and now I get a steady 5 psi no matter what. It's not a lot of added oomph from stock, but stable boost means I can properly map the fuel table, and that makes me happy .
Old 09-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #459
Broke4speed
Board Member

Spent 4 hours at the junkyard pulling a T6 out of an S80, stripping it down so it was just the bottom end with no alt, etc, so it would be charged as a cylinder block at the local scrappers. Turns out they still counted that as a full engine and wanted $300. F**k no. All that work for nothing :(. I left it behind because their 'block' definition means no pistons, crank, rods, or anything else. WTF. Who do they expect is going to go to a junkyard and spend a full day pulling an engine, then stripping it down to nothing. I'm kinda peeved.

Also, the machine shop charged stupid money to redrill the front hubs, so I guess it's just been one of those weeks.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #460
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

300? Canadian? **** that’s a steal. Should,have just gone back and grabbed everything else to make it complete again anyways.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #461
Broke4speed
Board Member

I don't need a head I can't use though :(.
That's their regular pricing, so I can go back any time and grab another one if I want. I still have the B6304 block I was going to build up, and the S40 4-cylinder turbo engines have an 83mm bore, so I might just go back to my original plan. Piston/rod combos go for $16, and apparently it's necessary to pull them from a block if you want fair pricing, so I might just pull some.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #462
240wagonguy
Board Member

I'd just buy a parts car but thats me. $300 spent on junk car, can make back easily in scrap after getting what i want.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #463
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Spent 4 hours at the junkyard pulling a T6 out of an S80, stripping it down so it was just the bottom end with no alt, etc, so it would be charged as a cylinder block at the local scrappers. Turns out they still counted that as a full engine and wanted $300. F**k no. All that work for nothing :(. I left it behind because their 'block' definition means no pistons, crank, rods, or anything else. WTF. Who do they expect is going to go to a junkyard and spend a full day pulling an engine, then stripping it down to nothing. I'm kinda peeved.

Also, the machine shop charged stupid money to redrill the front hubs, so I guess it's just been one of those weeks.
Kenny U Pull I guess?

They are getting harder and harder to deal with. They had much better pricing and rules when they opened some years ago. I almost grabbed the manager by the neck the last time I was at their Sherbrooke's JY.

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #464
Broke4speed
Board Member

Yep, Kenny-u-pull Ottawa. Prices have gone sky high lately, and their new policies suck ass. $300 for a head/block wouldn't be bad...but for just the block, no way. I guess if I want to build a boosted engine, I'm going to need to do it the long way and slap some pistons/rods into that spare B6403S I got from you.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #465
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240wagonguy View Post
I'd just buy a parts car but thats me. $300 spent on junk car, can make back easily in scrap after getting what i want.
If I could find an S80 for $300 CAD...I'd be in heaven, lol. Definitely going to start scouring the ads for cheap ones because it would still be a better option than the local yard.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #466
240wagonguy
Board Member

the T6 S80s are getting hard to find. Last one I saw was $300 and even in town but had 285k miles. Decided that was too much. I'm not really in a hurry.
240wagonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #467
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Yep, Kenny-u-pull Ottawa. Prices have gone sky high lately, and their new policies suck ass. $300 for a head/block wouldn't be bad...but for just the block, no way. I guess if I want to build a boosted engine, I'm going to need to do it the long way and slap some pistons/rods into that spare B6403S I got from you.
I pulled out a B6284t from an S80 last fall at Kenny-u-Pull here in Sherbrooke and it cost me like $265 for the complete engine minus the accessories.

I think that the price of scrap metal went up a bit so that may be the reason for the price increase on heavy parts?
Old 09-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #468
Broke4speed
Board Member

No clue. I know they've got different prices depending on area now, and some yards in QC have 'Premium' prices for the newer stuff, but $300 for a block and pistons when a complete (minus accessories) is the same price is crazy talk. If I was going to use the head, it's a great deal...but for something that I'm going to throw away, it's a waste of money.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #469
Broke4speed
Board Member

Since I'm planning on trying to make the Club Volvo Quebec mega-meet at Blainville Volvo, I decided to tackle a few things. I re-installed the electronic boost controller and picked up a Derale inline thermostat for my transmission cooler. I'll get to the cooler tomorrow because I just wasn't in the mood to make a mess of ATF tonight.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #470
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got a bit bored so I decided to set up the SpeedySim I got from DIY-EFI in the UK. It's basically the same as the MS2.2 stimulator except it runs Ardu-stim and uses an Arduino Nano as the processor. It confirmed that my speeduino build is good, so now I just need a harness.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #471
740atl
educator monkey

I just noticed this project today for the first time. I love what you're doin. Keep at it.

Does the aristo trans have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the b6304 or will you need to adapt it?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #472
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Since I'm planning on trying to make the Club Volvo Quebec mega-meet at Blainville Volvo, I decided to tackle a few things. I re-installed the electronic boost controller and picked up a Derale inline thermostat for my transmission cooler. I'll get to the cooler tomorrow because I just wasn't in the mood to make a mess of ATF tonight.
Wasn't that meeting cancelled because of the bad weather? I hope you didn't drive down to Blainville for nothing!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #473
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
Wasn't that meeting cancelled because of the bad weather? I hope you didn't drive down to Blainville for nothing!
It was cancelled :(. I saw the notification on FB the day before, so I didn't make the drive.
I was kinda looking forward to it, so I was definitely bummed.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #474
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
I just noticed this project today for the first time. I love what you're doin. Keep at it.

Does the aristo trans have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the b6304 or will you need to adapt it?
Thanks man .

Yep, all the A340/AW30-40 transmissions have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so it's just a matter of swapping bellhousings and torque converters over. There are apparently some changes in converter spline pitch at some point, but all the 'volvo' parts interchange with the 'toyota' parts, so a hybrid box can be made easily.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #475
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
Thanks man .

Yep, all the A340/AW30-40 transmissions have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, so it's just a matter of swapping bellhousings and torque converters over. There are apparently some changes in converter spline pitch at some point, but all the 'volvo' parts interchange with the 'toyota' parts, so a hybrid box can be made easily.
That's really clever. I've had my eye on a whiteblock swap for a while now and the aristo trans seems like a great budget trans to go behind it.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote