home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #26
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Great progress. Everything is coming along nicely and your wagon looks great.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #27
wgusler
Board Member

Wiring update: After three tries to fix the main connector at the firewall , gave up and canned the connector plug. Cleaned all the connectors with T100, added some dielectric grease, plugged them into each other and added a sleeve of heat shrink to each one. Who needs an big gray plug anyways?

Mounted the 4th relay for the fog lights now that I decided to keep them.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
MrBrown
Board Member

That grey block if a connector was all janky on mine as well. Good job omitting it! The
Old 09-30-2016, 12:14 AM   #29
wgusler
Board Member

Default Side of the road rest and relaxation

Gudamsomnabastage Swag Wagon is being a dick.

Driving fine for the last month, about 1500 miles since finishing the rear suspension. No vibrations or problems. My son comes home from school Tuesday and says that it vibrates when you first take off. I go and drive it and it shudders and vibrates in first gear.

Climb under it and check the T rods, and driveshaft, center bearing is loose to the point I can move it up and down about an inch.Pushed it up and drove it again and it seemed better.

Called Volvo and had them overnight all the center bearing parts and three u-joints. Dropped it off yesterday and picked it up this afternoon. Noel, (my son) drove it home (about 5 miles) and said it was smooth and quite. Yea! Problem solved!....................not so fast..............

Left for his 4:00 class at 3:00, a 15 mile drive. 3:15 he calls me and say it's vibrating again. I tell him to go on to school and we will look at it later. Texts me from school and say it will not move in reverse???

Drive to the school, leave him my Tundra and take off for home. Smooth as silk and shifts fine ..........................for about 2 miles and starts to jerk and slip. Pull off the road and shut it off, check fluid, kickdown cable and fluid lines, all look good. Started it up after about 10 mins and put it in gear and off we go. Makes it about 2 more miles and same thing.

So a hour later I have made it 12 miles of the 15 and each stint is now about 1/2 mile after 15 min cool down. F it, called my brother to bring the jeep and a tow strap.

Got it home at about 6:30. Went and pulled out the AW71 I bought here from Olddaddy and started cleaning it up. I called Volvo on the way home during one of my 15 min naps on the side of the road and ordered a front and rear seal and a pan gasket. I will do the acc mod and try to get it in this weekend.

At 9:30, started it up and drove it around the block and it ran fine. Should be able to drive it a couple miles to my buddys house to do the swap.

On a good note, My son is driving up to FSU in the AM, about 200 miles away. Might have happened then as opposed to now.
wgusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #30
MrBrown
Board Member

Time for a T5 swap!
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #31
wgusler
Board Member

A sad day, the 245 on a flatbed, oh! the shame!

On the way to the shop for the AW71 install. Decided to not do the Acc mod, we will address that after I build a motor.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #32
wgusler
Board Member

By request from 57Plymouth, fog light brackets off the car so the tow man don't put the hurt on them.

This shows what I would build if I did it again, a simple one piece bracket but will require 5" wide alum sheet.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:10 PM   #33
57plymouth
Board Member

That's sweet! Thanks.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:03 AM   #34
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

This thread keeps delivering. As a relatively new 245 owner, I am inspired!

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #35
wgusler
Board Member

The AW71 is in but issues persist. Pulled the pan and it was very clean and the fluid looked good. Brand new converter installed. First drive we have no downshift on stops and no OD. Adjusted the kickdown cable and verified fluid level ( a bit high). The KD cable was the orignal one that was attached to the tranny. It was a bit sticky at first but working it back and forth it freed up and now returns normally. Took it out for a 5 mile drive and the OD engaged. The OD now works correctly and the car will kick down from OD to 3ed and from third to 2ed, but not to first even a 15-20 mph. It also shifts harder than I think it should and the park to reverse hits hard.
I have a new KD cable coming in the AM from Volvo and will change it. After that, I will drive it home from the shop whose lift I use and flush the tranny to make sure all the old fluid is out.

I really want to kick dents in this thing about now. The " no downshift" thing was happining with the old tranny 6 months ago and stopped after adjusting the KD and a flush.........and blew the F*** up last week. The AW 71 came out of a wrecked car and was working fine when pulled. Sumofabastage.

Someone here has to be a big brain transmission guy. Hints, ideas, crush it?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #36
MrBrown
Board Member

Stated earlier... T5
Old 10-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #37
wgusler
Board Member

Ignored earlier

Dont want, need or like manual trans in something that is and always will be a DD.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #38
MrBrown
Board Member

Gotcha.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:44 AM   #39
wgusler
Board Member

Waiting on the new AW71 to be finished, so we did some trim work on my spare armrests. Helpful TB buddies found the chrome bezels for the armrest but the vertical insert in NLA. Mine are all gray and crappy, so I found a solution in true TB fashion.

The chrome strip that runs along the lower door panel is just about the same size, so I cut them off the parts car and got to work.

They are bonded to the trim with some sort of death glue, so I had to use a razor blade and cut the backing off.

I cut them to size and then bent them to contour of the handle. They are very flexable but will crack of you bend too much. I heated them in boiling water and bent to fit, cooled in cold water. They kept the form.

Here is what we are replacing:

Smoe hot glue and we are done!

Mounted a Derale 10 Row plate cooler in front, I had to trim the center support for clearance.

Then mounted a remote Derale filter with 6AN fittings and added 90's .

I should have the 3 lines with AN 5 for the trans and AN6 for the cooler and filter built tomorrow . I will update when I get time to finish. Wanted to protect my acc modded AW71, I hate changing transmissions. ( I left about a 1/8" play in the accumulators, cus I am a chicken)

Last edited by wgusler; 11-28-2016 at 12:58 AM..
Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #40
wgusler
Board Member

Finally finished the cooler lines and installed them today.

Used heat shielding on the first three feet from the trans, never know how big a exhaust might be running thru there

Used leftover edge moldings around the door openings cut into short sections as protection from the sheet metal edges where I routed the lines.

Cut a hole in the plastic hole plug behind the A/C dryer on the core support and ran the lines to the cooler.

All hooked up and no leaks!

Now just need the new AW71 and get it installed.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #41
Wilford Brimley
Is posting from the grave

This ****ing cool man
Wilford Brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #42
wgusler
Board Member

Update:

94 940 AW71 rebuilt with acc mod installed and works like a champ. When I jacked it up to check the trans cooler lines and make sure no leaks, found a rust hole in the front muffler. Had a IPD sport exhaust sitting in the parts pile so we put it on. So easy, 30 mins start to finish. Sounds deeper but not really any louder inside. Might be a bit louder outside, but not much.

While I had it on stands, and the bulk of the day left, pulled the cut rear springs and put some stock wagon springs back in. I didn't like the harshness of the rear and it was too low for my taste. I kinda like a bit of rake on the wagons.

Still collecting / ordering things to fire the parts cannon at the inside and have the seats recovered. That will be after the first of the year, next will be rebuild the complete rear end and add the 4:10 and G80 when I get it from K- Jets.

After the no start debacle, we have replaced all the fuel / return lines, main pump, filter, pressure regulator and Idle control valve with all Volvo OEM stuff. I also made a new harness for the main pump as the wires on mine were a bit rough. Car idles/runs better than it ever has. Yea!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #43
wgusler
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
This ****ing cool man
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #44
240Pete
Board Member

Looks better every time I see it Will. Keep up the solid work.
240Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #45
hiperfauto
The Librarian

Who told you the chrome inserts for the armrests are NLA?

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...mrest/1040091/

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?p...138&searchfld=

It looks like you spent a lot of time and effort reinventing the wheel. Next time, just ask.

Other than that, it looks great!
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #46
wgusler
Board Member

I really hate you right now.

I will never fix anything again until you have confirmed NLA. Now see what you did?

Seriously, Thanks bud!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #47
SquareD
An Anomaly

Sharp wagon, car's shaping up nicely. Good work.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, TME upper/CT lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #48
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Very nice focused DD project. Too many people get too carried away with modifications on these cars and end up not being able to drive them because they are either not finished (me included) or rendered unsuitable for daily use. It would be nice to see more builds like this in the future here.

Great job on the fog light mounts and thanks for posting details on that. I've often wondered why more people don't set them into the air dam like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgusler View Post
Around this time while looking at wheels, I discovered this:

I didn't realize at the time that the actual car that was making my pants tight was being parted out here on TB. Probably a good thing, that would have cost me a LOT of money had I seen that post earlier.
Nice score on those Ferrari wheels. The interior from that car lives on in my own formerly diesel 245! It's off the road now but I'm shooting for a very comfortable and fast cruiser and a nice '93 cloth interior fit the bill.

Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:24 AM   #49
Simi
Upsetti Spaghetti

You got a really nice wagon!
1995 850 T5-R - SOLD
1991 740 Turbo - SOLD
1987 240 - Crushed
1989 740 "Satan"

Leave Me Feedback
Simi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #50
wgusler
Board Member

Woot!

Look what the Fed-Ex man brought me today!

Some brand new Volvo goodness! No damm defroster vents in it, I will have to bug Hiper to find some new ones.

Working my way thru the door panels and upgrading the speakers. Finished the sound deading in the doors and tailgate;

Did the inside of the tailgate, but was too lazy to pull all the lock and parts, took a long time with little pieces.

Installed the new 5.25 component speakers with a mounting plate backup to reinforce the door card. Used gaffers tape to strengthen the door cards.

Soldered
the connections on the speakers and covered in heat shrink. Added plug connectors to the door and speakers.

Made some bigger base door card clips from some push plugs. The holes get a bit ragged out and the OEM clips were loose. Cut on side off so the can be turned into the hole and then secured with a small strip of gaffers tape.

The oem clip

The oem and the new modified clip

clip installed and secured

New Alpine head unit and Rockford Fosgate dual 12" subwoofer box in in place, need to have my audio guy tune it up. Christmas and work keep interrupting my Fking off playing with the car.