• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

calling all painters, need advice

90volvo

my car is the wine red. Im repainting the trunk. Had a slight accident. Car rolled backwards thru a fence. Put a dent in the trunk and scratch my trunk and rear pillar beside back window. My car has the 2 step, base coat, with clear coat on top of it.I wanting a good match as possible with what I can do. I have some experience painting but its been a while. Painted a race car with acrylic enamel yrs. ago (15).
Local paint shop found my code and has the formula. I have a choice of paint. They said they would recommend single stage since been a while since Ive painted. But does have the 2 stage (base with clear on top afterwards).
What do you recommend? I know some are gonna ring in and say take to a professional. I went to local shops, cheapest bid was 1700 and wont promise color with be close. So taking it somewhere with that cost is not an option for me. Thanks.

I'm not a painter but I would use the 2 stage paint. Keep it original. Spray a test panel for color and technique.

ok kinda what I thought. They can match with a panel code only. I will see if I can reachout nearest major city and see if I can bring a piece in for a scan etc. Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Yeah, color scanning is going to be a lot closer to your 28 year old paint than an OEM paint code. Clear coat is a lot easier to work with than single stage. Cut and polish it to match the old finish.

Back