• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

DSC_2467.JPG

O hai :wave:

EDIT: I forgot to ask where your place of residency is located.

O hai :wave:

EDIT: I forgot to ask where your place of residency is located.

I'm in SE. I still need to get the clutch and flywheel off it, but after that it's ready for you if you still want it. When do you want to pick it up? It's still on the hook so it'd be easy to lift it into your trunk...

And your old motor moved to Ben Weaver's house to receive a stroker Crank :)

944 trunk opening>244 trunk opening

Dont get me wrong it looks great in black, but I REALLY wish you kept the bay beige, or painted it another nice color. Flat black bays just kinda look unfinished to me I guess.
Everything else is awesome, I am glad to see this car get finished right!

...I REALLY wish you kept the bay beige...

If the beige hadn't have been pretty jacked like it was I would have left it. This is no show car, so the matching satin black to the rest of the trim work & back panel was the easier & cheaper solution. Plus I like it :) I have a feeling people might see my "vision" for the whole idea more once the motor is in there ;-)

If the beige hadn't have been pretty jacked like it was I would have left it. This is no show car, so the matching satin black to the rest of the trim work & back panel was the easier & cheaper solution. Plus I like it :) I have a feeling people might see my "vision" for the whole idea more once the motor is in there ;-)

I will definitely see your visions.. Cause I effing love where everything is going.

Yup. I cleaned it all, then roughed it all with 400 grit, then blew out all the crannys with the compressor, then tack ragged it all. Then about 4 light coats of the SEM over the whole thing. Ended up taking about 2 1/2 cans for the bay.

Did you prime it at all? Prob wouldn't need to since it's not bare metal, right?:)

Hahah See
my "vision"
, you should come back to design school with me if you keep talking like that!! Love the direction this project has taken so far!
Props on the black even though its not my favorite color for an engine bay, at least it is coherent with the rest of the black on the car! Love the way you emulated that concept from the trim to the engine bay

Did you prime it at all? Prob wouldn't need to since it's not bare metal, right?:)

I didn't prime. No bare metal anywhere so no etching primer needed either.

...you should come back to design school with me if you keep talking like that!!

I actually was in the architecture program at University of Oregon.

If not beige,,, should of gone brown... The engine bay is also the "interior" right?

Ooh, flat brown mighta been cool! Wouldn't have match the rest of the paint work that well to me though.

I didn't prime. No bare metal anywhere so no etching primer needed either.

I actually was in the architecture program at University of Oregon.

Ooh, flat brown mighta been cool! Wouldn't have match the rest of the paint work that well to me though.

Respray the stuff that is flat black in flat brown... It will be worth it.

Seems like you prepped those areas decently so respraying on top shouldn't be too much trouble..

...consider automotive design!?! Idk

I don't think I'd last too long -- everything I'd design would looks like a 240 :rofl:

No problem, glad it arrived safe and sound.

Me too -- it'll be a cool little detail for the car. I really like it because it's a genuine Volvo item that is era appropriate. Now I just need to do a nice cleaning on it and the matching Volvo emblem for the other side and give them a nice fresh finish.

Spent a little time in the garage last night working on it. Also did a lot of staring at the engine bay and rearranging things for the engine bay in my mind. Clearing up the vision for it I guess you could say :)

Derek had previously removed all the wiper stuff from the car as it was going to be a summer only car for him. Since I'll be reinstalling it all I pulled the wiper motor out of the box in the trunk and got it all cleaned up, painted, and bolted back down to the firewall -- sticky gooey seal and all.

Also got started on the hydraulic clutch conversion. Unbolted the old clutch pedal and bolted in the new 260 hydraulic clutch pedal clone I got from Tom Smith:

170927_1631569428116_1203030776_31370157_3974888_o.jpg

Then got the clutch master cylinder bolted in, which turns out kinda sucks when you're doing it yourself and have no one to hold the bolt head on one side of the firewall while you tighten the nut on the other. Got that attached to the pedal so that side of it is done.

I'm keeping the M46/flat flywheel combo in the car & I already have the hydraulic fork from a 740 and slave cylinder from 740 so I'll install those next. Just gotta figure out which release bearing to use with this combination. I might have to just order an M46 hydraulic clutch release bearing from a 740 and compare it to the early M46 one in there now. From the pictures they don't look too different at all, but I have no measurements so :e-shrug: The early M46 I have has the early shaft with smaller spline count than the later M46, but as far as I know the diameter is the same so I don't see why the original M46 release bearing in there wouldn't work?

Right after I finished typing that, these showed up at my desk :oogle:

0415110854.jpg

For reference, they're fresh seals for where the side tail lamp assemblies seal against the body on the outboard sides. #13 in the diagram:

Capture.JPG

Back