• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 and a Holset

vwbusman66

Stößelstange über alles
I'm fairly certain people are running this combination.
What do you think? I know the big-arse Holset takes a little while to reach full boost, but can it work well?

Obviously, you'd need the supporting mods and most certainly an accumulator mod.

What size Holset? how much boost?

On the street a late model AW71 with the accumulator mod and good clean fluid and a good trans cooler should last its entire life at 300-350whp without any issues.

If you plan to drag race it, a better trans cooler with an active fan on it an a 3000rpm stall should also hold up to 300whp for a good long time. Over that power wise you are running on borrowed time.

I ran mine up to the 7000rpm limiter daily without issues, it was always at the drag strip I killed them when hot lapping.

People say AW71's are good for over 300hp and perhaps a rebuilt one can do that. However in my experience all of the used ones at this point are over 150,000 miles and the fluid is in questionable condition. I just burnt 1st gear in mine last year after running a 15g from when the trans had 207,000 miles up to 240,000. And this was only with occasional thrashing as my 940 car was my daily right up until the begining of this year.

People say AW71's are good for over 300hp and perhaps a rebuilt one can do that. However in my experience all of the used ones at this point are over 150,000 miles and the fluid is in questionable condition. I just burnt 1st gear in mine last year after running a 15g from when the trans had 207,000 miles up to 240,000. And this was only with occasional thrashing as my 940 car was my daily right up until the begining of this year.

Did you change the fluid? Accumulator mod? External cooler?

Transmission is rated by torque number, not HP.

Is that 300hp with 150lb ft or 300hp with 450lb ft? Big difference in transmission needs.

it will last for a long time if you do what lostartof said. mine never blew and I was so mean to that transmission. also get a good converter, if you run the holset with a stock converter it will be dog**** slow.

Back