• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cruising spots in Portland

NChoy

18 bricks and counting
300+ Club
I don't really think there are any. And now's a good time to start this discussion as summer approaches, and with it the official cruising season.

Oh sure, there's the west side (Beaverton in particular), but I mean old-school cruising spots where you can either hang out and watch cars go by, or be one of the cars going by... all without being hassled by the cops.

It should have the following criteria:
- Pass by parking lots and gas stations (for gas and for showing off to spectators)
- Be a loop (in other words, you drive in a circuit, so you can get back to where you were)
- Be in a part of town that allows for cruising (downtown Portland has an anti-cruising ordinance)
- Have places to get food
- Big parking lot to meet up with folks

So far, it feels like the Starbucks/Fred Meyer parking lot just off 217 is it. But are there any others we may not know about?

back in Texas we would cruise from one Sonic to the other. In between was a snow cone stand at a stop light that the cops were cool with people racing off the light....as long as they didnt exceed the speed limit.

We woudl grab food at sonic make our way to snow cone stand, line up the cars eat snow cones and watch people race at the light.....good times!!

the problem with starbucks is the heavy cop presence during the summer, and the constant knowlege of the cop shop being across the street basicly.

with that in mind, it also happens to be basicly the only place of its kind that i know of.

Are there no like americana burger joints in an old gas station with a parking lot that are around?

you can always cruise on foster...but you better be packin...hehe

Hawaii has the PERFECT spot for cruising. Head down Kalakaua (the strip) through Waikiki, turn on any side street, go back up on Ala Wai Blvd., then head back down the strip. All along the route, there's places for people (tourists mostly) to check you out, locals heading to numerous nightclubs and bars, hookers, cops, drug deals, races between stoplights... you name it. It's like a damn smorgasborg of cruising delights!

Now as far as Portland goes, I would LOVE to come up with another place. Any suggestions? Maybe NW 23rd area? I like the idea of having a burger or food joint with a big parking lot though...

NChoy said:
Now as far as Portland goes, I would LOVE to come up with another place. Any suggestions? Maybe NW 23rd area? I like the idea of having a burger or food joint with a big parking lot though...

I thought that counts as Portland (for the anti-cruising law)...? Either way, if Im thinking of the right area, its really really crowded on weekends and that would make it a little less enjoyable...

As with others, Starbucks is the only place I know of too...

Husker4volvo said:
No I roll foster all the time blasting rap music im still here go into north portland where there are crazy gangs then you need to be packin.

Hey now, I live in N. Portland. Don't be giving my home a bad rap. But you're right, persons of sound mind don't usually join gangs. But on the plus side, I bought my brand new 4 bedroom house 2 years ago in N. Portland for a price so low it makes grown men cry. +1 for lower property values!

b4_ford said:
Hey now, I live in N. Portland. Don't be giving my home a bad rap. But you're right, persons of sound mind don't usually join gangs. But on the plus side, I bought my brand new 4 bedroom house 2 years ago in N. Portland for a price so low it makes grown men cry. +1 for lower property values!

FTW. A co-worker lives in St Johns in a nice house with a nice shop and the prices are low low low.

Now, I have gotten lost in North Portland, and it can be a bit scary. Especially if you have no fuggin' idea where you are.

I'm trying to think of cruising spots... hmmz0r...

have you guys ever cruised from Wilsonville, on wilsonville road to Newburg?

It is this 2 lane curvy road that follows the willamette for quite a while. Since I work in Wilsonville, on stressful days I will just take a lunch cruise and enjoy the road.

Hank Scorpio said:
Ya. MOVE! :p

You know... Carissa is trying to get me to relocate to CA. I said no way. I got a cushy state job, my own townhouse (which I can actually afford... unlike anything in Cali), and all my Volvo connections here.

But you guys do have the best wrecking yards on the west coast.

NChoy said:
You know... Carissa is trying to get me to relocate to CA. I said no way. I got a cushy state job, my own townhouse (which I can actually afford... unlike anything in Cali), and all my Volvo connections here.

But you guys do have the best wrecking yards on the west coast.

I didn't say move to CA... I wouldn't wish that upon anyone :rofl:

Stereophile33 said:
who is Carissa???

I would say my GF, but you can't really award such a title to someone you only see once every couple of months, and talk to on the phone every few nights...

Needless to say, I'm trying to convince her to move up here. She thinks there's no jobs in her field here in Portland. I say BS.

Long distance relationships... sheez!

coldfusion21 said:
i love that road, it is one of my "blow off some steam" driving roads as well, but only during the day when theres no traffic.

i remember driving that road in the galant with you and tye one night when i had no idea where we were going. good times.

i was thinking(and this is just a thought), about the top of the parking garage for manzana in LO. Going there late night there arent ususally a lot of people there. There are only three places to eat: 1)Tillamook Ice Creamery 2)Taco Bell 3)Dewey's(great frozen custard). There wouldnt really be any spectators though. That and starbucks are the only places i know of at the moment.

Hank Scorpio said:
I didn't say move to CA... I wouldn't wish that upon anyone :rofl:
although, we do have sunrise blvd, cept for bastard ass cops out there sometimes

Back