home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #126
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
So 26hp loss isn't a lot to you that's a HUGE difference. Especially in a low horsepower car.

Do these lh2.4 cars compensate for the lack of oxygen up there to some extent?
at 8000 ft yes you would feel it but you werent that high most of the time....
also you can downshift with auto--- read your manual sir

dear god thats what mechanical and electronic fuel injection does... why we no longer have carbs

where is JOHNV with his JOHNV 9mm ?
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_elleck View Post
I regretfully agree with Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 122power View Post
make k-jet great again.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #127
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
at 8000 ft yes you would feel it but you werent that high most of the time....
also you can downshift with auto--- read your manual sir

dear god thats what mechanical and electronic fuel injection does... why we no longer have carbs

where is JOHNV with his JOHNV 9mm ?
It was a high enough elevation to notice a big power loss. Don't cry jack.
__________________
Current
-93' 244 m47-iPd sways, 13c, iPd cam, 2.5” straight pipe
-93' 245 m47-iPd sways, T-cam
-88' 245 m47-Welded diff, gutted, 13g- PARTOUT
Past
-80' 242gt m46-


I have a full 240 manual swap for sale. PM me
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #128
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

not crying
more like this
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #129
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

And by the way you have no idea how high I was the entire time. Don't act like you know me.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #130
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

There's no way to compensate for that. It simply has less oxygen to work with in each cylinder full.

A turbo car that does electronic absolute boost levels vs. relative (like most mechanical would be) could work the turbo harder and end up making the same hp.
__________________
'63 PV Rat Rod
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #131
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
There's no way to compensate for that. It simply has less oxygen to work with in each cylinder full.

A turbo car that does electronic absolute boost levels vs. relative (like most mechanical would be) could work the turbo harder and end up making the same hp.
Interesting. It goes without saying that newer turbo cars usually do better in higher elevation than than NA, yeah?
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #132
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

I didn't notice that many turbo vehicles, primarily 90s, 5 speed Impreza and legacy outbacks. At least a few hundred.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #133
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
And by the way you have no idea how high I was the entire time. Don't act like you know me.


how you see youself



how tb sees you


How I see you


how I wish you were


how you really are
 photo 79651323-49F5-4ECD-A2C5-08AB159F8DAA_zpspvijlgyq.jpg
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #134
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

^ HAAHAHAHHAHAHA the mclovin one and last one are the most accurate. I take pride in looking like mclovin. I could lose the glasses but being a 240 wagon driving mclovin is just WHO I AM, BITCH.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #135
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Volvo240 View Post
^ HAAHAHAHHAHAHA the mclovin one and last one are the most accurate. I take pride in looking like mclovin. I could lose the glasses but being a 240 wagon driving mclovin is just WHO I AM, BITCH.
dont ever tell me I dont know you bitch
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #136
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
dont ever tell me I dont know you bitch
This thread stayed pretty on topic for a while. I'm surprised.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #137
240240
Volvo ruined my Life
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA
Default



Time to send in the big dawgs to finish this thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #138
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

We loved you John Candy.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #139
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite
 
Lord_Athlon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from
Default

Were you even alive when he died?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #140
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
Were you even alive when he died?
Idunno. Am I allowed to appreciate an actor whether or not I was alive when they died?
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #141
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
There's no way to compensate for that. It simply has less oxygen to work with in each cylinder full.

A turbo car that does electronic absolute boost levels vs. relative (like most mechanical would be) could work the turbo harder and end up making the same hp.
Why not mechanical waste gate keep up more power, it takes 14 psi to overcome that spring tension in the WG actuator, doesn't matter if it's at sea level or not.
__________________
Bruten tegelsten
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #142
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
how you see youself



how tb sees you


How I see you


how I wish you were


how you really are
 photo 79651323-49F5-4ECD-A2C5-08AB159F8DAA_zpspvijlgyq.jpg
You asked where'z I's? Busy fixing lunch for 3 girlies girls...Don't worry you're doing just fine with this post here as in PLUS Juan Billion...

The kid said "You don't know how high i was"

Well at least its legal now in Colorado
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #143
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Why not mechanical waste gate keep up more power, it takes 14 psi to overcome that spring tension in the WG actuator, doesn't matter if it's at sea level or not.
I've wondered a bit about this myself..On some cars like that Frod whatevar Crossways thing I have its a map sensor system..EUC senses absolute manifold pressure and then the ECU controls the waste gate actuator (pulsing the solenoid thang over there)
So on this system if it doesn't se 2 bar in the manifold it doesn't waste off anything and the wastegate stays close 9and the poor little turbo spoools its brains out a little more) until it makes 2 bar boost..
That seems like altitude and reduced baro wis taken car of..
On other systems it should be similar... Like LH the electric element doesn't sense the volume and cool down so ECU says to waste gate "so solly lound eye no relief for YOU!"
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #144
Khrrck
Professional Amateur
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Beaverton, OR
Default

Would atmospheric pressure on the outside of a mechanical/spring wastegate affect its operation? I feel like a gate with 1 bar of sea-level air pressing against it should open slightly later than one at 5,000 ft, and thus build more boost.

Not sure how significant it is, since 5,000ft is only ~2 psi less of atmospheric pressure.
__________________
'87 240 budget wagon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #145
JohnMc
PV Abuser
 
JohnMc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Louis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Why not mechanical waste gate keep up more power, it takes 14 psi to overcome that spring tension in the WG actuator, doesn't matter if it's at sea level or not.
It's 14 psi over the ambient air pressure.

The ambient air pressure is lower, so adding 14 psi to it is still lower than adding 14 psi to a higher pressure.

I.e. at sea level there is about 14.7 psi of ambient air pressure. Add 14 psi of boost to that and you have 28.7 psi trying to fill each cylinder of air (with varying degrees of success - the volumetric efficiency).

Drive up to 12,000 feet and you have about 9.5 psi of ambient air pressure. Add 14 to that and you only get 23.5 psi trying to fill each cylinder. Obviously, that's dropping less of a percentage than a normally aspirated car will, but it's still a drop.

A car that is electronically regulating boost levels to an absolute pressure target will work the turbo harder, and assuming the turbo isn't maxed out in capacity, will still try to work up to that regulated 28.7 psi, making 19.2 psi of relative boost to accomplish it. Net result, no loss in power at all.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #146
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
You asked where'z I's? Busy fixing lunch for 3 girlies girls...Don't worry you're doing just fine with this post here as in PLUS Juan Billion...

The kid said "You don't know how high i was"

Well at least its legal now in Colorado
Nah I was just kidding, I don't smoke. I only drink













Koolaid
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #147
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
You asked where'z I's? Busy fixing lunch for 3 girlies girls...Don't worry you're doing just fine with this post here as in PLUS Juan Billion...

The kid said "You don't know how high i was"

Well at least its legal now in Colorado
thats why I posted Phelps SIR
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:51 AM   #148
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
It's 14 psi over the ambient air pressure.

The ambient air pressure is lower, so adding 14 psi to it is still lower than adding 14 psi to a higher pressure.

I.e. at sea level there is about 14.7 psi of ambient air pressure. Add 14 psi of boost to that and you have 28.7 psi trying to fill each cylinder of air (with varying degrees of success - the volumetric efficiency).

Drive up to 12,000 feet and you have about 9.5 psi of ambient air pressure. Add 14 to that and you only get 23.5 psi trying to fill each cylinder. Obviously, that's dropping less of a percentage than a normally aspirated car will, but it's still a drop.

A car that is electronically regulating boost levels to an absolute pressure target will work the turbo harder, and assuming the turbo isn't maxed out in capacity, will still try to work up to that regulated 28.7 psi, making 19.2 psi of relative boost to accomplish it. Net result, no loss in power at all.
I get it now, thanks!
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 AM   #149
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

I finally replaced the intank pump today. The main pump is much quieter and happier.

I pulled off the return hose and not much came out.

Then I clamped off the feed hose with some vice grips and disconnected the main hose from the main pump. Reasoning for the vice grips is due to siphoning lol. Ask me how I know.




yadayadayada remove pump, don't drop anything, clean the rim with many q-tips. install new VOLVO seal (not pictured).


I needed a new sender as well so I transferred what I needed from the old one to the new one. I reused the 3" tubing even though I bought the $6 piece from iPd It was much easier to fit and still in great shape. I also swapped the original float ball to the new sender because some of them are known to leak. FWIW, my aftermarket cheapie sending unit was NOT wired backwards. New filter sock as well.


Reinstalled the pump, it took me a while to get the float ball back in there and I kind of forced it, but it works.... I tightened everything down and installed a brand new r9 rated 5/16" hose for the return. I ordered some 12mm r7 hose for the feed (r7 should work I hope..) but it hasn't arrived yet so the stock hose went back on.

So new
-pump
-sender
-seal
-filter sock
-fuel lines off tank

It feels reliable now.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #150
PromiseRing
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missouri
Default

Who has the lead on high quality fuel hose? The r7 and r9 that were brand new 2 years ago are severely cracked/dryrotted and causing concern. No excuse for it to wear out this prematurely. IIRC i spent a prety penny on both fuel lines in hopes that they would last the rest of the cars lifetime.

https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/201...-r9-fuel-hose/

I will have to check for sure which brand I installed but I will most likely opt for Gates or some other reputable company. Hopefully others will see this (and the above link) and stray away from 'cheap suitable fuel line'.
PromiseRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.